Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lt1 upgrades

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

lt1 upgrades

i am planning at the end of this summer to use the money i save to purchase an lt1 for my 69 camaro. Unfortunatly an ls1 is a bit out of my budget, but i think an lt1 is a great second choice.

I was curious about what bolt-ons other people had put on and how you like them. i already have long tube headers and a great exhaust. I was thinking-
    -MSD Ignition
    -52mm throttle body
    -1.6 lifters
    -cold air intake
    -flash and tune
    -maybe a cam

i was wonder which of these other LT1 owners had tried and the improvements/advantages they had seen so i know which ones to try. thanks alot -Justin

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Wait, wait, wait...You have a 69 Camaro and you want to replace the motor with an LT1...Why? What type of condition is the current motor in? Sounds like it should be a resto-project or something.

But to answer your original questions...
    Are you going with a brand new LT1, or a used one?
    You could try and find a wrecked LS1 car and pull the motor and tranny (if needed) out of one of those.
    LT1 parts generally are less expensive than LS1 parts, so that's plus. And, there's a huge market for the LT1, so you shouldn't have a problem finding whatever you're looking for. What exactly are you looking for out of this car?

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Wait, wait, wait...You have a 69 Camaro and you want to replace the motor with an LT1...Why? What type of condition is the current motor in? Sounds like it should be a resto-project or something.

But to answer your original questions...
    Are you going with a brand new LT1, or a used one?
    You could try and find a wrecked LS1 car and pull the motor and tranny (if needed) out of one of those.
    LT1 parts generally are less expensive than LS1 parts, so that's plus. And, there's a huge market for the LT1, so you shouldn't have a problem finding whatever you're looking for. What exactly are you looking for out of this car?
    The project is much more a customization project than a restoration, plus the original engine is still in the car, its a 307. Not much point in restoring that piece of crap. Haha.

im planning on picking up a used lt1 and a used T-56 to put into the car. It is going to be a daily driver for me so i want something that doesnt need to be constantly worked on, something that gets decent gas milage (i drive...alot) and something with enough power to put my best friends skyline powered 240 in its place.

I had looked into LS1s, but the price is just too steep, im 21 and a full time student, so i dont have alot of cash to throw around. Im just looking for around 325-350 streetabl horsepower and low 13 to high 12 second quarter mile times.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

get an ls series engine out of a truck then.. their cheaper and better
    id recomend the 6.0
    the truck motors have cast iron blocks
    convert a 6.0 truck motor to carb and swap the cam and they put out 400hp
    they still get good gas mielage and u can do it all for $3000-4000

otherwise id just build a carbed 350, u can do it cheap and still make a reliable engine

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    get an ls series engine out of a truck then.. their cheaper and better
    id recomend the 6.0
    the truck motors have cast iron blocks
    convert a 6.0 truck motor to carb and swap the cam and they put out 400hp
    they still get good gas mielage and u can do it all for $3000-4000

otherwise id just build a carbed 350, u can do it cheap and still make a reliable engine
    I have looked into both these ideas, but my biggest hurdles are cash and the fact that i want a 6 speed and im not willing to compromise on that.

as for the 6.0, ive looked into it before but i they are more expensive than an lt1, plus i would need new motor mounts and new headers among other things, to he tune of close to an extra 850 bucks... plus a new bellhousing to match the tranny to he block. the cost is just two much.

as for a regular 350, i need decent gas milage and for the power i wanna make i know i wont get more than 10 mpg out of a regular 350 plus the 6 speed kits for my car are insanly expensice close to 4 grand.

LT1 just seems the cheap, logical choice... and its still got decent power

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

ive always prefered th350 myselfe

buy you better watch out... you modify a lt1 and u wont get much better gas mielage

a buddy of mine has a lt1 auto car with maybe 450hp and he only gets 10mpg ish

sped
    ive always prefered th350 myselfe

buy you better watch out... you modify a lt1 and u wont get much better gas mielage

a buddy of mine has a lt1 auto car with maybe 450hp and he only gets 10mpg ish
    Does anybody actually drive a 69 camaro to be economical?

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

excelent point

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

pm joerockhead good guy, has a 67 camaro with an lt1 in it, freakin sick car

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sped View Post
    Does anybody actually drive a 69 camaro to be economical?
    haha you make a damn good point my freind,,, hahah but im only 21, in college, and broke. so the cash allowed for either a daily driver, or a project car. and since that project car is a 69 camaro i think i chose wisely haha but now i gotta turn it into a daily driver, something reliable, decent milage , but still has some balls.... gotta get them damn mustangs lol

IBM
    04 GTO

How much you plan on spending?? cuz you could use the 69 as a restore and take the 3 to 4 grand on a lt1 camaro or t/a. thats what i would do then when your done with college spend you hard earned money on that 69.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    How much you plan on spending?? cuz you could use the 69 as a restore and take the 3 to 4 grand on a lt1 camaro or t/a. thats what i would do then when your done with college spend you hard earned money on that 69.
    well i spent 11 for the camaro. its in decent running shape with a 307 adn pretty good interior... im into it for another 8 grand for the rest of the interior, full suspension, lowering, rims and tires, all wheel disk brakes, 2 years of body work (did myself) sound system, popper system.... and all those fun toys. i still owe a few grand on the camaro so i cant take out another car loan. but i should have 4-4.5K by the end of the summer to buy the lt1/6speed and swap it in. and with the help of friends and a lot of research i am fairly confident that i can easily do it for that cost and have the camaro ready to be a daily driver.

Black
    97 Trans AM

dude u should sit on the 69 then use the money you get from the summer to buy a trans am or camro you could get an f body for 4,000

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 97Trans_AM View Post
    dude u should sit on the 69 then use the money you get from the summer to buy a trans am or camro you could get an f body for 4,000
    true... but the camaro is just about all done. the interior, brakes, full suspension, body work is all done. plus it gets painted in the next month. its got everything but the engine and tranny.

now no offense to LT1 camaro owners... but if u had a badass 69 that only needed an engine swap would u really sit on it and just get an LT1 camaro.... hell no man, 69 all the way!!!!!!!!! best of both worlds

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    true... but the camaro is just about all done. the interior, brakes, full suspension, body work is all done. plus it gets painted in the next month. its got everything but the engine and tranny.

now no offense to LT1 camaro owners... but if u had a badass 69 that only needed an engine swap would u really sit on it and just get an LT1 camaro.... hell no man, 69 all the way!!!!!!!!! best of both worlds
    neither, nothin beats the big block rumble

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

id do an ls1 if i was putting anything like that in a 69 camaro,

then you hav ethe best of both worlds

or you could get a ram jet crate engine

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 94z28l View Post
    neither, nothin beats the big block rumble
    OH hell yeah man!!!! haha unfortunately my suspensions set up to run a small block. that and its gonna be a daily driver so small blocks just an easier setup, but when i get a chevelle in a few years can you say 502 ram jet!!?!/!? yeeah!!!!!

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

id do an ls1 if i was putting anything like that in a 69 camaro,

then you hav ethe best of both worlds

or you could get a ram jet crate engine
    yeah my original idea was for an LS series engine, but the LT series is almost as good at less than half the cost, plus with an ls1 i need nes headers and motor mounts... with the LT i can use my existing headers and motor mounts.... if i ad the money then LS2 all the way

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    yeah my original idea was for an LS series engine, but the LT series is almost as good at less than half the cost, plus with an ls1 i need nes headers and motor mounts... with the LT i can use my existing headers and motor mounts.... if i ad the money then LS2 all the way
    i dont know if id consider a LT1 almost as good as a LS1.

it may be cheaper but uv already put so much money into the car, whats a little extra for a much better engine. ud probably be more happy with the ls engine in the long run.

i think i suggested this before... id do a carbed 5.3 or 6.0 out of a truck. the prices on these engines have gone up recently but their still a lot cheaper. and if u do carbed itl fit the look of the car better, make install easier, for probably cheaper.

my friend has found a guy with a bunch of ls engines from flooded katrina cars mostly. their all good but the wiring is bad, perfect for a carb setup... and their cheap.

my friend is trying to buy as many as he can get from this guy. ill probably post them for sale if he ever gets em.

Copper
    1969 Cheverolet Camaro

I have a comp cam, largest with out a stall converter. Can get you the part #. Shorty headers. Work great , no ground clearance problems. No emisions. Open air element , but plan to convert to a custom built cold air system this winter. Car puts down 300hp to the rear wheels and is a blast to drive. gets 14mpg in town with a 4L60e trans, and thats not driving conservative. I just cant seem to keep my foot out it some times.

SteveAttachment 12614

Attachment 12615

Attachment 12616

Attachment 12617

Attachment 12618
    Last edited by 69 lt1z; 06-08-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information