Black
    2000 Trans Am

LT1 stroked and Turbo

I have an 94 LT1, with A4 tranny out of a Z28 and I am looking to stoke it out to 383 with an eagle rotating kit. I also have purchased a Garrett T76 turbo and an intercooler. I have a 56mm throttle body, MSD optispark, Miziere electric water pump 160 thermo, underpulley, ported heads, and am looking at an elelbrock or lingenfelter intake, and upgrading the injectors. The Turbo puts out 15lbs of boost at 4k on a 2000 ls1 camaro and I was wondering how much power this thing is gonna make? I was hoping to get atleast 450hp out of the stroked motor with out the boost turned up. I was also looking to not run the turbo to all 15lbs just about 10-12 at max. So how much power is it gonna be?

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    I have an 94 LT1, with A4 tranny out of a Z28 and I am looking to stoke it out to 383 with an eagle rotating kit. I also have purchased a Garrett T76 turbo and an intercooler. I have a 56mm throttle body, MSD optispark, Miziere electric water pump 160 thermo, underpulley, ported heads, and am looking at an elelbrock or lingenfelter intake, and upgrading the injectors. The Turbo puts out 15lbs of boost at 4k on a 2000 ls1 camaro and I was wondering how much power this thing is gonna make? I was hoping to get atleast 450hp out of the stroked motor with out the boost turned up. I was also looking to not run the turbo to all 15lbs just about 10-12 at max. So how much power is it gonna be?
    ull have to look this up but ive heard the reverse coolant flow in the lt1s causes problems with forced induction. ive heard that anyone forcing induction or running a big shot of n2o gets a water pump that flows the "right" way... anyway like i said just look into it, i dont own a lt1, just thought id share some rumors i heard

red
    95 Z28

Too many variables to be able to tell you how much power it will make. Head flow, cam choice, how the turbo system is built (i.e logs, tubular headers), efficiency of the intercooler and piping, exhaust routing, etc will all play a big part in how much power you make. Running X psi of boost doesnt mean shit. All psi is is a measurement of restriction to flow through the motor. But, you'll be needing a good fuel system, more than a single in tank... You'll need at least a dual in-tank setup, or a big inline setup with custom lines, etc. Your tranny will need a big time build up, and you'll be nearing the power numbers (possibly) to the point where a 4L60E is at it's limits. The best way to tune the car will be with a standalone setup, which is costly. You'll probably need upwards of 15-20K$ to get this project done, possibly more.

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    ull have to look this up but ive heard the reverse coolant flow in the lt1s causes problems with forced induction. ive heard that anyone forcing induction or running a big shot of n2o gets a water pump that flows the "right" way... anyway like i said just look into it, i dont own a lt1, just thought id share some rumors i heard
    Uh no, plenty of people make huge forced induction power numbers with a standard LT1 cooling system. A better radiator possibly, but that's more due to a front mount intercooler hampering radiator efficiency.

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Too many variables to be able to tell you how much power it will make. Head flow, cam choice, how the turbo system is built (i.e logs, tubular headers), efficiency of the intercooler and piping, exhaust routing, etc will all play a big part in how much power you make. Running X psi of boost doesnt mean shit. All psi is is a measurement of restriction to flow through the motor. But, you'll be needing a good fuel system, more than a single in tank... You'll need at least a dual in-tank setup, or a big inline setup with custom lines, etc. Your tranny will need a big time build up, and you'll be nearing the power numbers (possibly) to the point where a 4L60E is at it's limits. The best way to tune the car will be with a standalone setup, which is costly. You'll probably need upwards of 15-20K$ to get this project done, possibly more.

Uh no, plenty of people make huge forced induction power numbers with a standard LT1 cooling system. A better radiator possibly, but that's more due to a front mount intercooler hampering radiator efficiency.
    possibly just bull shit internet heresay but doesnt the reverse cooling actually allow you to run a little more boost with the same octane fuel before detonation?

red
    95 Z28

Coolant running into the heads first (before going through the block) is coming straight from the radiator, and is therefore its coolest. So the heads get the greatest cooling affect. In theory, it keeps the cylinder head cooler, and lower combustion temperatures, which would help with detonation.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

i said it was just a rumor i heard... dont get pissy

specificly i heard it makes em blow head gaskets faster than most cars

but like i said... just something ive heard before

red
    96 ss

100% truth. psi = shit/ cfm = power. lt1's run boost just fine, with a built bottom end. i also agree with the price all of this might cost. i would also think about not using eagles crap on a blower motor. hell i wouldn't even use it on my nitrous setup 383.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I know that the tranny will be maxed out on this, of course it is going to get a complete rebuild/ upgrade, along with the rear end. Some of this is going to be done myself, some of it by a mechanic friend of mine. It is a project car, an 88 formula. Alot of this project will have to be fabricated in shop. I already have most of the suspension and almost all the bolt ons. I dont think (and hope) that it will cost nearly that much. My friend completely did my exhaust on my 2000 TA (dual exhaust) for $300, fuel pump in my 88 formula for 50 bucks plus the cost of the pump. So labor is cheap I was just looking for a ball park number so I would know what power rating of the internals for the top and bottom ends to purchase.
    What brand of rotating assembly would you buy?

red
    96 ss

i went with a callies dragon slayer crank and compstar 6 inch rods. i would have liked to go with a 5.85 rod BUT i got the 6 inchers. along with custom nitrous pistons

red
    95 Z28

With boost, run the shortest rod you can, keep the ringlands as thick as possible on the pistons. I recommend JE for pistons. Lunati makes good rods, as does Oliver, Manley, etc. Callies is a good crank.

As for project cost... Take your best estimate, add at least 50% to that number, and you're getting close.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Can the stock computer handle the tune for this project or am I going to have to go with an aftermarket EFI like a FAST setup?

red
    95 Z28

Can the stock computer handle the tune for this project or am I going to have to go with an aftermarket EFI like a FAST setup?

It's been done, but most people doing projects like this move to a standalone for engine management, such as FAST, megasquirt, or BS3.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

I have seen a lot of people mod the LT1's to 383 and they have great power.
    You should easily be in the 450 range with all the work.

And I have never heard of the problem with the reverse flow. You may want to reserach it a little, who knows, it might be true from the internet.

good luck, take a lot of pics to track the work, and the end result.
    Keep all of your reciepts and notes!!
    (Lessons learned!).

Thread Information