Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

are lt1 really shi*

This is a discussion on are lt1 really shi* within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My mods are Lloyd Elliot stage 2 heads, comp cams XFi cam, Ford Motorsport SVO 30lb injectors, BBK headers, Flowmaster ...

My mods are Lloyd Elliot stage 2 heads, comp cams XFi cam, Ford Motorsport SVO 30lb injectors, BBK headers, Flowmaster cat-back, cheap ass ebay CAI, Micks Perfomance 3,000 stall converter, Crane 1.6 Gold Race roller rockers, and a RyanA tune. The cam I have, I really don't care for. It has a .510/.520 lift with 1.5 rockers and a 230/232 duration. It pulls hard from 3,000 all the way to 6,500, but there is just no low end anymore. I need to change my rear gears and I am sure that I would be happier. I still have the stockers; 2.73's which suck, bad. I am still leaning more toward a different cam, I would like to have a little bit of the low end torque. But after all the mods I am still getting 20 mpg out of an A4 car, but that's only because of the 2.73's. Next spring it's getting 3.73's and I am sure that the mileage will really suffer.

White with Hugger Stripes
    1997 30th Anniversary SS

I get laughed at here and there with my LT1, even with the intimidating T-Trim whistling away......that is, until they get wasted by me

I've had two LS1's and don't regret getting rid of my LS1's to keep my LT1. I have yet to run into someone who has even come close to keeping up. There's always someone faster out there, but I have yet to run into him/her. But to say an LT1 is sh!t is absolutely ridiculous.
    1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS
    Forged 383 LT1, Vortech T-Trim with aftercooler, Aeromotive A1000, Strange 12 bolt, chromemoly DS, MSD Digital 7, MSD Opti, HVC coil, McLeod twin disk, the list goes on

2000 Pontiac Trans Am A4
    Magnaflow exhaust with quad tips

2011 Prius

The LT1, is what got me into the Trans Am... How I missed my stepdad T/A... The car in my eyes, when I was little... Was GOD, no joke. All I knew is, it was a 383 Stroker, with an LT4 cam and a center force clutch. Had no clue what it all met, but it sounded cool. All I knew is, it sounded like a monster, had lots of work done to it. It was fast and not allot could touch it.

This was a 97 WS.6 6-Speed, white with black interior.

He still has the engine out of the car. He bought two LT1 junk yard engines for $400 and put one back in the car, took his engine out. Then sold the car.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    He still has the engine out of the car. He bought two LT1 junk yard engines for $400 and put one back in the car, took his engine out. Then sold the car.
    that's how you do it

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

The lt1 is always looked at as some low on the totem pole engine because its not a ls1, but once its a 383 stroker car theres not much that can fuck with it thats still running around on the street. No one will have respect for it though, my car ran a 12.5 at one point in time and was fast enough to keep up with cobras and modded evos and i still got laughed at by the car crowd in NC. Keep at it and youll be fine, i always liked the look of the engine bay on a modded lt1 better then a ls1 anyway.
    Last edited by 95camaroZNC; 10-11-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 6801 View Post
    be serious are lt1 really worth it i keep getting destroyed by srt 4 and turbo colbalts on the highway i have a m6 camaro but what im really getting at is would't stuffing a bbc, ls1 cheaper and faster than a lt1. what will it take to fet a lt1 in the 11,s
    I beat the crap out of a turbo cobalt when i was mostly stock (Intake, radials, exhaust) at the track. The car ran a 13.6 at 98mph. think the kid ran a 14.1.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 6801 View Post
    i just ran 13.64 at 103 with 2.2 sixty on strret tires rolling the clutch out slow. i did free mods long tube headers stat and magnaflow eehaust. not even a kn air filter. my goal is 11 sec street car. everyone laughs when i say lt1 im goona go for it even though it has to fill the spot of my 10 sec chevelle i traded for it.
    what kind of free mods can be done to an lt1? i know the ls1 free mods....but i was unaware of any when i had my 95.....i missed out.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

You must not have EVER driven one. Cuz I would challenge anyone to take one for a spin...excluding an auto with 2.73's...and then say its a shit engine!

pewter

i have a 96 m6 thinking about mooding i like the car so much i got rid of my 10 sec chevelle. i just dont understand why everyone says there junk 13 stock ant a bad start they dont pull but run good but thats when a cam swap comes in i guess

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Nothing wrong with an Lt1.
    Its justa fuel injected version of the 350, they have plenty of potenial, and much cheaper to mod up compared to an LS1.
    Hell an LE1 kit for like $1100 can yield you around 380RWHP good enough to barely break 11s with a good suspension set up and some radials.

Dark Spiral
    2004 GMC Sierra

One of my friends has a 97 WS.6 T/A, and you'd be surprised how many LS1 cars he's drug up and down the track. He worked the heads to uncork them, working on a cam now, has exhaust, and some gas. That combination with an A4 behind it resulted in low 12s.
    1987-2008
    Adam "Cadillac" Howard
    "Shine Your Light"

Nothing wrong with LT1's,,,,we've owned a few, and even used them for retrofit swaps,,,great little engine. Anyone that laughs at LT1's or any small block chevy for that matter, just doesn't have a clue.

We have LS1's now, and they are also great little motors. Doesn't mean I hate LT1's now, or that I wouldn't give one respect on the street, you just never know.

LT1 heads, to sum it up easily, are basically designed exactly like the popular vortec heads, with the only difference being the LT1's have reverse flow cooling. They actually flow very good numbers in stock form without any work at all. There were several cam only LT1's in the 11's in Ohio where I'm from.
    I worked on a friends 355 Lingenfelter built LT1, built the 12 bolt rearend for him. Just motor only that thing put down somewhere in the 400-450 range at the rear wheels, was a 6 speed car. Can't remember exact numbers but it was stout. I drove the car at the track one night still sportin the stock 10 bolt with 4.10's installed. It lasted about 4 passes with drag radials out back that were aired up purposely to induce wheel spin. I clicked off some 11.60's with that car at 119+ mph,,,spinning with slow 60 foot times.
    On the next pass the rearend exploded going into 3rd gear, and took the tranny out with it, shoving the driveshaft forward. It was nasty.

Later with the 12bolt and the suspension set to hook, it ran 11-teens. Not bad for a little 355.
    It's too bad the engine only survived a short production run,,and is now overshadowed by the LS craze. To me the LT1 is still great bang for the buck. LS motors right now are still in their infancy, and haven't had the luxury of being around that long. Therefore the price per modification is much higher, especially when you start getting inside the engine. Even used motors are pricey, and aftermarket parts aren't chump change either. It really needs to be around another 10-15 years and see where that takes it.

For these reasons I still don't see the LS engine as a better option,,,at the moment.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the sound alone is worth it as said before..the top end limit the lt1.....however i enjoy working on a ls1 over a lt1.

I don't see the top ends as limiting the LT1's. No more than a gen 1 motor for that matter.
    Plenty of big power gen 1 and gen 2 motors out there being built every day.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    You must not have EVER driven one. Cuz I would challenge anyone to take one for a spin...excluding an auto with 2.73's...and then say its a shit engine!
    my 95 was and auto with 2:73's...whats wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    my 95 was and auto with 2:73's...whats wrong with that?
    Nothing really. With the 3.06 first gear of the 4L60 and the low end grunt the LT1's had,,,,they still jumped up and moved respectably.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nothing really. With the 3.06 first gear of the 4L60 and the low end grunt the LT1's had,,,,they still jumped up and moved respectably.
    yea it seemed just as good as the 3:23 in my 2000, and also stayed around 1800rpm at 70mph....but there was a 2 year gap between owning each so my sense of memory could have just been off

Ray Charles blue

LT1s are not SH!T.....the LS1 is better of course, it is pure evolution.

The LS1 in my GTO revved faster than my 94 LT1, it had a higher RPM red line, and it was smoother. However it didnt quite have down low torque of the LT1 in my Corvette. The LS1 wasnt fast enough in stock form for me and either is the LT1. Coming from riding my sport bikes I have had its tough to have a car and think its fast at all.

There is a spot where I do 5mph rolls from and by the time I hit a certain point (there is a sign) I could hit 91-93mph with the GTO and the Corvette I hit about 88-89.

The LS1 DOES feel like it pulls a lot more in the upper rpm range and over 100mph it seems to really pull the car hard. The LT1 is a good engine, there is always a better engine coming....LS2/LS3/LS7/LS9....etc

pewter
    99 trans am

i think that whoever says the lt1 is a shit motor is very close minded and inexperienced with it. i find myself being this way sometimes. example- my girlfriend loves mustangs, and i used to tell her that there is no mustang that can beat an ls1 stock for stock...and i refused to believe that the 03-04 cobra could take me....that is until it happened. got my ass stomped...and walked away a better man for it...open minded.

SOM
    2002 SS

Many very good points mentioned above. The LT1 is a great motor with potential. Its downfalls are in that there are no aftermarket blocks and that it IS indeed a old sbc with an efi conversion.

The LT1 vs LT4 debate is long and old. I can assure you a fully ported LT1 head/intake vs a similar version in an LT4 is within 20 hp.

Optispark is definitely overblown by the whiners who have had bad experiences on the forums.

I built a 388 solid roller LT4 and I put down 478 rwhp on a mustang dyno. I ran 128 mph in the 1/4 with a 19" street tire with the stiffest suspension possible for a c4 vette. I have smoked many a c6z06 and let me tell you their facial expressions are priceless when it happens.

having said that my previous motor was a fully built LT4. Had I spent similar money I surely would have had a stronger platform, more reliability and more power for sure.

There are many builders and porters out there that have tons of experience with LT motors. Advanced induction, Lloyd elliot portworks, Karl Elllwein racing engines to name a few.

My suggestion to you would be to buy the AFR elimnators and a matching cam from someone with the experience required to do so (any of the forementioned or Tony Mamo from AFR will help). Go with a stroker , a 383 and you are looking at an easy 420 whp + all depending on how serious you want the driveability/idle quality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information