black
    95 trans am

LT1 optispark upgrade HELP

Just did my plugs and wires on my 95 Trans am about time 77800kms , question I have is I want to upgrade my optispark should I go with genuine GM or with MSD optispark? I have heard that the aftermarket ones don't last as long,i find that hard to beleive cause they should be better!! any help would be very appreciated

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'm not too familiar with the opti-spark aftermarket as I have an LS1. But I have heard that some have had problems with the aftermarket ones. And I've heard some run them just fine. IMO, I'd use the GM replacement, as it should be able to do everything you need. If you are going to upgrade, you'd be better off looking into doing the coil pak conversion instead IMO.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Do you have any other upgrades? Are you going to be upgrading the rest of the ignition system?

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

if you plan on modding too high hell and back. research the best optispark to go with....light bolt ons? stick with OEM.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

the first opti i bought was the cheapest one summit had.
    it lasted 5000mi and died turns out its made in china and the bearing is very cheap.
    after some debate summit did return my money because i have bought several things from them.
    bought a gm opti from the loacal parts store 10,000mi later and still going strong.

black
    1995 transam

I use the msd opti. Its sealed much better then the GM of other aftermarket opti's and if you know anthing about the optispark water is its enemy. Might want to change the water pump while your in there. I modified my wp by threading the weap hole and putting a fitting in and running a drain line so if wp ever leaks it won't run on the opti.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
    I modified my wp by threading the weap hole and putting a fitting in and running a drain line so if wp ever leaks it won't run on the opti.

That's a good idea

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    That's a good idea
    I agree, good old American know how!

Black
    94 Trans Am

I had nothing but expensive problems with anything other Genuine GM optisparks. It would have been cheaper had I just bought it up front. I have a 94 and wanted to try vented, but the parts were crap out of the box. At 300 a throw to replace it, very risky to go non GM.

See if you can get yours rebuilt, that may be the best route, but again go as stock as possible.

1996 z28, 1968 ss

heres the info for delteq 4 coil system

"The Delteq Opti-Direct system solves most of the LT1's Opti-Spark problems by converting to a distributorless system similar to that used on the Cadillac Northstar engines. With high voltage removed from the Opti-Spark, the problems of cap & rotor wear, internal arc-over and cross-firing vanish. The rotor can be removed, preventing the problem of high RPM rotor failure, seen on many race applications.

The distributorless system consists of four high-output ignition coils, each firing two spark plugs. The four-coil system is able to produce longer charging time than a single coil system, even at high engine speeds, which means more energy to the plugs when it's needed most. The system is well-proven in its Northstar application with a stock redline of 6500 RPM and a recommended tune-up interval of 100,000 miles!

The Opti-Direct system is easy to install. Every kit is 100% plug & play, so no cutting, splicing or fabrication is required. Each application is custom-designed for a specific vehicle, so it's a perfect fit every time. "-Delteq

**non-sponsor link removed**

1996 z28, 1968 ss

Delteq dot com

Ray Charles blue

I put an aftermarket one on my 94 Corvette. I think it was from GR8HOTRODS or something. It worked amazing and it ran like a top and it never skipped a beat. I talked to another forum member and he was running a STOCK unit on a 10 second car......so a stock one will supply enough power.

Also, change the water pump. Its about $150 worth of insurance.

Green
    1994 Z28

msd opti all the way. I just picked up a 94 z28 with 120k on the clock. I didnt take it home. It went straight to my mechanic and hes putting in the msd opti w/ msd wires and ac delco plugs. My brother has a 93 z and his msd opti has over 20k on it and has not had a hint of trouble.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by upinsmoke68 View Post
    Delteq dot com
    ^This!!!!

If I'd have stayed with the 96 I'd have went coil on plug.

DAMN you Opti!!!!
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Thread Information