Thread: LT1 mods

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

LT1 mods

I have been told that i need a different computer if i wanted to do upgrades on an LT1. I had considered swapping one into my chevelle, but dont want to invest a grand just to be able to upgrade it. The car it is out of is a 95 caprice with the police package. Any info? also how difficult is that swap? Not to worried about it, just curious as to the time involved

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What is wrong with the stock computer?

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Nothing is wrong with the stock computer. I was just told that i had to modify the computer system before i could do any mods to the engine. Is it a preset computer system? I know i had to swap to a mass air system on my mustang before i could do any major mods(heads, intake, cam), but that's a ford.......I just don't want to go through with the swap and then have to change all the computer system.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Uh forget all that and build it then you can have that computer programed for the mods. Might want to post your build ideas in the engine internal section so you can get an idea of what kind of parts are being used on these LT1's but you don't have to buy an aftermarket controller if you already have the PCM and the harness.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

One question I forgot.
    Was the car you got the PCM and the harness from an Auto or a stick?
    Also what trans are you planning on running in your swap setup?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    One question I forgot.
    Was the car you got the PCM and the harness from an Auto or a stick?

There are no 95 caprices that came with a stick.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

still shouldn't matter a whole lot, but isn't the 95 models the last year of OBD I computers? what difference is that going to make for him?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    There are no 95 caprices that came with a stick.
    lol head up my ass there!!!! sry

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevelle View Post
    Nothing is wrong with the stock computer. I was just told that i had to modify the computer system before i could do any mods to the engine. Is it a preset computer system? I know i had to swap to a mass air system on my mustang before i could do any major mods(heads, intake, cam), but that's a ford.......I just don't want to go through with the swap and then have to change all the computer system.
    The '95 is OBD2 which means it is programmable by computer. The person you were talking to was probably confused with the 93 that has the ECM (engine control module) rather than the PCM (powertrain control module). The ECM needs a chip swap for mods. The PCM also controls the transmission, so take the tranny with you for the Chevelle.

The LT1 is a highly moddable engine in any case. Lots of setups to choose from, then set the computer and you're flying.

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

The setup i want to use is either a 406 i have or possibly stroking it to a 434. Want to keep it streetable so probably 10:5.1 compression is all i am after. The trans i have is a 700R4 but i think that the Caprice has a 4L60E. I have the whole car but i dont want to swap in a 240 horse turd in my Chevelle lol. I will probably snag a set of Trick Flow heads from my dad, there is some mild port work and a gasket match on them. I know i will have to have the center intake bolt holes modified on the intake, but that is not an issue. I will look to see exactly which computer system is in the caprice and which transmission it has.
    Thanks for all the responses, i will take all the engine tech stuff to the internal page to see which combo is going to give me the best reults

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Black R/A View Post
    The '95 is OBD2 which means it is programmable by computer. The person you were talking to was probably confused with the 93 that has the ECM (engine control module) rather than the PCM (powertrain control module). The ECM needs a chip swap for mods. The PCM also controls the transmission, so take the tranny with you for the Chevelle.

The LT1 is a highly moddable engine in any case. Lots of setups to choose from, then set the computer and you're flying.

95 is still OBD1. 94-95 is OBD1, but still programmable through the PCM. OBD2 and dual cats started in 1996.

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    95 is still OBD1. 94-95 is OBD1, but still programmable through the PCM. OBD2 and dual cats started in 1996.
    I stand corrected. It is OBD1 in 95. He should go with the computer controlled 4L60E over the 700R4 though, it's a better transmission. Tricks are great heads, good luck with your build.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Black R/A View Post
    I stand corrected. It is OBD1 in 95. He should go with the computer controlled 4L60E over the 700R4 though, it's a better transmission. Tricks are great heads, good luck with your build.
    Isn't the 4L60e simply an electronic version of the 700R4? Caprice is a heavy car and if it is going to see a significant amount of track time it needs a stronger transmission in my opinion.

My Camaro was originally a six speed and I installed a built 700R4 and managed to blow it up in a reasonably short time. However I was 1000 miles away when it went so I put in another one to avoid having to wait around in Ohio for a custom driveshaft. If I could do it again I would have put in a
    TH400

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Isn't the 4L60e simply an electronic version of the 700R4? Caprice is a heavy car and if it is going to see a significant amount of track time it needs a stronger transmission in my opinion.
    Yes, it is a computer controlled 700R4 with a few upgrades. I'm thinking between the two the 4L60e is better. There are better transmissions if he has a deep pocket, but that doesn't seem to be the case. He would need a 4L80e for heavy duty racing, because it will work with the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post

My Camaro was originally a six speed and I installed a built 700R4 and managed to blow it up in a reasonably short time. However I was 1000 miles away when it went so I put in another one to avoid having to wait around in Ohio for a custom driveshaft. If I could do it again I would have put in a
    TH400
    i have a LT1 also with a 700R4 tranny wiring harness n comp
    was woundering since i dont have deep pockets would it b best 4 me 2 just use what i have n just upgrade the engine or alos get at TH400 or 4L80E
    also of the 2 which is better
    note the car is a 75 Chevy Malibu Classic
    my dream is 2 punch 450 hp n 450 tq or so n the end of it all
    i still am New 2 all of this so ull have 2 excuse me if i seem 2 have NO idea what the hell im talkin about cuz 2 a certain extent i dont
    i just want 2 find out what i will need 2 do or buy n order 2 achieve this dream
    plz all help is welcomed n im ALWAYS willin 2 learn
    Last edited by lbthegc; 06-22-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: didnt fully say what i meant

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by lbthegc View Post
    i have a LT1 also with a 700R4 tranny wiring harness n comp
    was woundering since i dont have deep pockets would it b best 4 me 2 just use what i have n just upgrade the engine or alos get at TH400 or 4L80E
    also of the 2 which is better
    note the car is a 75 Chevy Malibu Classic
    my dream is 2 punch 450 hp n 450 tq or so n the end of it all
    i still am New 2 all of this so ull have 2 excuse me if i seem 2 have NO idea what the hell im talkin about cuz 2 a certain extent i dont
    i just want 2 find out what i will need 2 do or buy n order 2 achieve this dream
    plz all help is welcomed n im ALWAYS willin 2 learn
    2 different animals there. th400 has no OverDrive and the 4l80e is an eletronic OD trans. If you are running an LT1 I would run a 4l60e. Thats what they came with and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a 4l80e. most people don't run th400's unless they are high HP drag racing. Only need 3 forward gears and no extra parts to fail. The 4l60e is the offspring of the 700r4. it is just an electronic version of it. There are some tuffer parts in it but basically the same. The hardest thing to do with a 700r4 is to get your shift point right. They can be built to handle 500 fly wheel hp all day long. Your cheapest rout is to just have the 700r4 rebuilt to handle the power and have the valve body worked or have a shift kit put in and use it. A 700 and a 4l60e would both have to be built to run that kind of power but haveing them built will not cost you as much as a 4l80E.
    TH400's are not the cheapest either but they are tuff and a little cheaper in price than the 700, and the 4l60e but it only has 3 forward gears. You have to make the choice of weather you want to keep the OD trans or go to a none OD trans.

Since you have the OD trans and if it is in good shape a trans guy could build it for your app.

thanks 4 the advice n help i will conider alot of what u just said

Thread Information