View Poll Results: LT1 or LS1 - which is better?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • LT1

4 16.67%
  • LS1

20 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT1 or LS1

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

LT1 or LS1

Curious as to how many people think the LT1 is better than the LS1 and vice versa. Not trying to start a war, just wanting to get some opinions so don't start anything. You can state why, but we don't need to put the other engine down - remember they were both built and used by GM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Curious as to how many people think the LT1 is better than the LS1 and vice versa. Not trying to start a war, just wanting to get some opinions so don't start anything. You can state why, but we don't need to put the other engine down - remember they were both built and used by GM.
    this has been discussed 100000x ...on top of that last month there was a poll JUST like this ..just to give you a heads up.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I searched but didn't see one. Maybe I missed it though - i apologize if I did. I'm sure it has been discussed but I'm curious about the reasoning behind LT1 over LS1. I'm not real familiar with the LT1, and many people put it down. Yet many others make an argument for it. Just curious.

98' trans am

I searched but didn't see one. Maybe I missed it though - i apologize if I did. I'm sure it has been discussed but I'm curious about the reasoning behind LT1 over LS1. I'm not real familiar with the LT1, and many people put it down. Yet many others make an argument for it. Just curious.
    the strong point for the LT1 is its price .....the lsx platform is a expensive platform to build...where as the LT1 is dirt cheap...oh and their sound....besides that there is not any upside over the ls1.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the strong point for the LT1 is its price .....the lsx platform is a expensive platform to build...where as the LT1 is dirt cheap...oh and their sound....besides that there is not any upside over the ls1.
    Interesting. I thought the LSx motors were relatively cheap to build - there are a lot of aftermarket parts for them and an abundance of motors out there. I never noticed a lot of upgrades for the LT1, but I never looked or searched hard as I wasn't building one. I have heard they sound good - I have a friend with a stock 96 WS6, never really noticed to much of a difference over the LS1 though - might just be me though. I have heard arguments for the reverse flow cooling and such - I just don't know that much about it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Lt1 are usually much cheaper then LS1.
    Talk to Loyd Elliot, he can supply you the parts to make a mean LT1 using factory heads

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

LS1 heads are fantastic vs LT1 (stock vs stock).

Only thing I didn't like about the LT1 (I've owned both LT1 and LS1 cars) is the opti but that can be rectified.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    LS1 heads are fantastic vs LT1 (stock vs stock).

Only thing I didn't like about the LT1 (I've owned both LT1 and LS1 cars) is the opti but that can be rectified.
    The opti was not the only thing that I didn’t like about my old lt1. Let’s see the “revolutionary” reverse flow cooling system, that wasn’t so revolutionary, lol. The 2 bolt main block, the cam driven water pump, heavy iron block, etc, etc… To me the ls1 was the answer to all my lt1 problems so I ran with it and never looked back!

red
    95 Z28

uhh... I have a feeling I'll be locking this one down soon, if for no other reason than this topic has been beaten to death.

2002 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    The opti was not the only thing that I didn’t like about my old lt1. Let’s see the “revolutionary” reverse flow cooling system, that wasn’t so revolutionary, lol. The 2 bolt main block, the cam driven water pump, heavy iron block, etc, etc… To me the ls1 was the answer to all my lt1 problems so I ran with it and never looked back!
    You said that perfectly lol!
    Im stuck with my Lt1 till i enough money saved for an Ls1,
    But im not complaining, i love my Lt1!

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by 454transam View Post
    You said that perfectly lol!
    Im stuck with my Lt1 till i enough money saved for an Ls1,
    But im not complaining, i love my Lt1!
    Yeah, I really loved my lt1 too, it was somewhat of a love hate relationship though. I had her runnin pretty good, would beat an ls1 till 3rd gear.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    Yeah, I really loved my lt1 too, it was somewhat of a love hate relationship though. I had her runnin pretty good, would beat an ls1 till 3rd gear.
    I've heard they had better low end torque, as opposed to the LS1's higher rpm power. Was the LT1 setup for this? Such as cam, and intake, ect., chosen for this specific reason?

2002 Trans am

Lol, i think im in the same boat you were in, haa!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

this poll is so predictable....im ashamed that i even voted.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    this poll is so predictable....im ashamed that i even voted.
    Your vote was at least. It's in your screen name

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Your vote was at least. It's in your screen name
    yea...ive owned both, and while i have no complaints about the lt1, Id still rather have an ls1....to me, the lt1 is just a gen II smallblock chevy which can still make plenty of power, but the ls1 is a very efficient engine, and can handle some high rpm more than the usual smallblock. I have won quite a few races in the lt1, and lost a couple, and both losses were to terminator mustangs, which i had no knowledge of back then.

98' trans am

I've heard they had better low end torque, as opposed to the LS1's higher rpm power. Was the LT1 setup for this? Such as cam, and intake, ect., chosen for this specific reason?
    the lt1 does produce more torque lower in the range but not much....but the myth that the ls1 is a top end engine is wrong...the ls1 isnt far off on the lt1s low end torque and come mid to high there is no contest.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

LS1 ftw

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL LT1 was just another step in the direction to make the engines make more power and consume less fuel. LT1 was a stepping stone to the LS1's. everyone is going to like what they like but yes to build a cheap street engine there are things that and lt1 has an advantage over the LS1. LS1 on the other hand has heads that flow great compared to SBC gens 1 and 2. When you do the same type of build on an LS V's an LT you may get better numbers out of an LS but the price tag will be higher. Who really gives a shit as long as it is an F-body killing a stang. lol

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    LOL LT1 was just another step in the direction to make the engines make more power and consume less fuel. LT1 was a stepping stone to the LS1's. everyone is going to like what they like but yes to build a cheap street engine there are things that and lt1 has an advantage over the LS1. LS1 on the other hand has heads that flow great compared to SBC gens 1 and 2. When you do the same type of build on an LS V's an LT you may get better numbers out of an LS but the price tag will be higher. Who really gives a shit as long as it is an F-body killing a stang. lol
    True dat!

Thread Information