Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Lt1 Getting hot

This is a discussion on Lt1 Getting hot within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey Bran, it actually is best to raise the front of the vehicle, the air is gonna purge to its ...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Hey Bran, it actually is best to raise the front of the vehicle, the air is gonna purge to its highest point, so raising the vehicle in the front a lil can speed up bleeding of the air in the cooling system. You raising the rear and it helping you, you must have let their sucker bleed for a long time man

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Hey Bran, it actually is best to raise the front of the vehicle, the air is gonna purge to its highest point, so raising the vehicle in the front a lil can speed up bleeding of the air in the cooling system. You raising the rear and it helping you, you must have let their sucker bleed for a long time man
    O.K., I am going to say this one last time, then I am done with this thread.

The front of the car was raised for probably about an hour as I was trying to get it to circulate and bleed. Then I raised the rear and all of a sudden all of the air bled out. I have been working on cars all of my life and my dad is 60 and has been a tech all of his life. I have lost count on how many engines, trans, rears and what not that I have torn apart. Sometimes the proper precedure or what you have been taught and learned isn't always going to work and I never said that he shouldn't have the front of the car elevated. New things are discovered everyday and guess what, it worked for me and it could possibly work for someone else. Thanks for your contriburtion.

unsubscribed.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_02 View Post
    thanks for your help but I think I may have found the problem... I'll let you guys know.
    lol the fans probably werent working, that is what happened when i replaced the radiator in my car.

red
    2000 camaro ss

ok. . .so. . .ls1_02 i'm still here. . .
    too bad this thread turned into this mess. . .
    ever get that guage hooked up?

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    O.K., I am going to say this one last time, then I am done with this thread.

The front of the car was raised for probably about an hour as I was trying to get it to circulate and bleed. Then I raised the rear and all of a sudden all of the air bled out. I have been working on cars all of my life and my dad is 60 and has been a tech all of his life. I have lost count on how many engines, trans, rears and what not that I have torn apart. Sometimes the proper precedure or what you have been taught and learned isn't always going to work and I never said that he shouldn't have the front of the car elevated. New things are discovered everyday and guess what, it worked for me and it could possibly work for someone else. Thanks for your contriburtion.

unsubscribed.

when it comes to the water coolant system, all we really have is the engine, and the radiator and the heater core. If you raised the ass end of your car, and If your system flows like 1 gallon per minute, I could see why air might rise up and gather in the heater core because you LIFTED the BACK.. So then checking the bleeder valves would be pure water and would look like there is no air in it.. Air rises in water.. so if you raise the back of the car then all the air goes to the rear of the car.. So your thinking is backwards.

But with 30 gallons per minute flowing in those narrow tubes, air will definately work its way to the radiator and accumulate there. Then if you try to bleed it with the back end up, the worst that would happen is air would seep back into the heater core HOSE.

Just keep your reservoir full and most the air will work its way out day by day. Then all you gotta do is bleed the valves with the car on flat ground.

Bleeder valves makes it much faster to get the air out.. but it you raise side a or b, then air will float to a or b side.. so why raise the back? But again, the pressure and force in the system won't allow air to stay in the block or the heater core over time. But the bleeder vlaves is what enables you to bleed some fast and get on the road soon. as well as get out that LITTLE BIT of air trapped at the top of the heater hose.
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-11-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Go the auto store and borrow a cooling system pressure tester. If it does not hold pressure you have bigger problems.
    Was there DEX cool in the system or the Green stuff? I ask this because Dex cool tends to clog up these dam heater cores. If it's clogged you will not get any heat at all.
    It is possible that the pump vane was installed incorrectly in the waterpump but very unlikely. If you need to take it off might as well put an Electric pump on. Hell I have been very happy with my CSR and I drive my car every day.

RED
    94' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    Go the auto store and borrow a cooling system pressure tester. If it does not hold pressure you have bigger problems.
    Was there DEX cool in the system or the Green stuff? I ask this because Dex cool tends to clog up these dam heater cores. If it's clogged you will not get any heat at all.
    It is possible that the pump vane was installed incorrectly in the waterpump but very unlikely. If you need to take it off might as well put an Electric pump on. Hell I have been very happy with my CSR and I drive my car every day.
    I fixed it thanks for everyone's help. it now cools perfectly. thanks

RED
    94' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    ok. . .so. . .ls1_02 i'm still here. . .
    too bad this thread turned into this mess. . .
    ever get that guage hooked up?
    I fixed it with everone's help thanks guys

RED
    94' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    lol the fans probably werent working, that is what happened when i replaced the radiator in my car.
    no the fans work great they are on a manual switch so I know for sure if they are working or not. the problem was the water pump.
    Last edited by ls1_02; 11-13-2008 at 04:52 PM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

that blasted water pump. glad this case is closed.

black
    1996 firebird formula

overheating lt1 need advice

i have a 96 firebird formula and it overheats severely and i was told by collective opinions that it might be anything from the wire harness to the heads so i am trying to narrow down my spectrum of view for what the real problem might be

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Start with the basics. Does it overheat when going down the highway, around town or both? Are the fans coming on? When was the last time the coolant and thermostat changed? Check for blockage in between the condensor and radiator and in front of both.

black
    1996 firebird formula

sorry didnt mean to take someones thread im a newb dont hold it against me lol it overheated on me while i was driving on the hwy and now it overheats just sitting there idling but i was reading this thread and all of the components are new and the fans kick on theres no milky residue in the oil and it doesnt leak out the exhaust so im stumped

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by b1z311 View Post
    sorry didnt mean to take someones thread im a newb dont hold it against me lol it overheated on me while i was driving on the hwy and now it overheats just sitting there idling but i was reading this thread and all of the components are new and the fans kick on theres no milky residue in the oil and it doesnt leak out the exhaust so im stumped
    Could have some air in the system. That will make the thermostat open late.

black
    1996 firebird formula

right right im going to try that idea with lifting the rear driver side and see if that works but the thermo does want to open while i was driving it was opening somewhat but not enough to get the temp back down where it needs to be but the book says that could be caused by compression from the engine putting air in the system because of a cracked head or gasket is it worth it to get one of those 30 dollar compression testers

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

You could get or rent a compression tester. A leakdown test would be better if there was a crack. I never had to raise the car to get the air out. This is what I do. Start the car up cold with the rad cap off. Turn on the heat, low is fine. Wait until it gets to temp. When the thermostat opens it should pull down the level. Then just add as needed. If you have a bad cap it could be letting air in or not letting the system build up the pressure needed. What coolant are you running?

black
    1996 firebird formula

got a brand new rad cap with 15psi and im running dex cool 3 i believe it is its orange if that helps lol and how does a leak down test work

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Leakdown works with a compressor. You insert a fitting where the spark plug goes and then you fill the cylinder with with air and listen to see if you hear it leaking out somewhere. If there is a leak in the headgasket or crack you will hear the air out the radiator cap.

black
    1996 firebird formula

i called my father in law and he says that if i take a dollar bill and hold it up to the exhaust that if it blows outward and theres water present then that could be a blown head gasket or if it sucks it in then it could be a cracked head well it was blowing outward with a presents of water

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

There is always some water vapor in the exhaust. If it smells sweet like antifreeze then the head gasket could be bad. You will get white smoke that lingers. You could put your hand there and let it run. Your hand will smell like antifreeze if there is a problem.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information