Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Lt1 Getting hot

This is a discussion on Lt1 Getting hot within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good info Chad...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Good info Chad

RED
    94' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97SS View Post
    Ok last night I said when it pushes water out when its hot, that its not good. But what I mean is that is how it's designed to operate. But if the cap is off then it starts to warm up, and push water out, that's not going to be good. So anyway, if it just trickles out, that may be normal depending upon how much you open it with the screw driver. Or it could mean there is air in the system and a little water is coming out with the air. But the engine should be hot AND the CAP must be on to have it work properly.

NO CAPPY = NO PRESSURE = NO SQUIRTY

This is not that hard,,,
    I get what you are saying. I ran the car several times many of them with the cap on but I had to take the cap off to see if it is circulating. but you can take the bleeder on the heater core line all the way out and it still just trickles out even when the system is pressureized. If air is still in there I don't know how i have bled and bled and still no heat either.

red
    2000 camaro ss

yea ya been there done that on page 2. lets assume that's not the problem especially if you dont flush system again. air can't stay in the system forever especially if there is coolant in the reservoir AND you bled it. did ya get that guage?

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    Right, as long as there is water in the RES then the air in the system will (for the most part) gather at the top of the radiator then when the engine cools it naturally sucks in water from the RES and it pushes out air when it warms because the fluid level rises when it gets hot.

I'm beginning to think you may have a problem with the hose or the pump. You're just going to have to get in there and rip it all apart and look.

I already replaced that huge heater hose on my car. Its a dealer item. It's an assembly of 2 hoses and a backet that holds it to the passenger fender well. Yes it was lovely to replace also.

bythe way, I just thought of something. Even if the heater hose is stopped up, I dont think that will make your engine get hot. Cuz I have known people to cap the hose off when their heater core sprung a leak. And they capped it because they didnt want to fix the heater core. So they plugged the line and kept water from going into the heater core. Its a 1970's trick. The sade tree mechanics always did crap like that..

So, I think even if the hose was blocked with "trash" it may keep the heater from working, because hot water is not getting through the hose, but it wont stop water from circulating in the engine or radiator. So, there is another reason why your engine is getting too hot..
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-06-2008 at 05:46 PM.

by the way, how hot is too hot? This is the factory settings where the fan's turn on.

Camaro/Firebird/Corvette Stock Cooling Fan Temperatures:

Fan 1 on/off at: 227F/218F
    Fan 2 on/off at: 235F/228F

- OPTIMIZED FOR stock 195 Thermostat

Camaro/Firebird/Corvette
    Fan 1 on/off at: 209F/200F
    Fan 2 on/off at: 219F/210F

- OPTIMIZED FOR 180 Hypertech PowerStat

Camaro/Firebird/Corvette
    Fan 1 on/off at: 194F/185F
    Fan 2 on/off at: 204F/195F

- OPTIMIZED FOR 160 Hypertech PowerStat

Camaro/Firebird/Corvette
    Fan 1 on/off at: 184F/175F
    Fan 2 on/off at: 194F/185F

btw, jackign up the rear of the car would (if anything) make air rise BACK toward the heater core. You're suppose to have the front slightly elevated. BUt actually, I dont think its really all that critical because if the water is full, air will accumulate in the radiator. Then it gets pushed out as the engine warms, and then the system will suck water in as it cools. Natural purging of air pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_02 View Post
    it doesn't come out that bleeder until it is hot. is that normal?

yes normal

OK ONE FINAL Question... When your engine is stone cold and you warm it slowly with the cap off, does the water look like its foamy with a lot of air in it? Or can you see solid streams of water pushing out of the core of the radiator?

reason being is, if its all foamy... then you got a busted head gasket. And yes, with that much air in the system it will be hard to keep it cool..

So the question is, has your engine ever over heated? So much so that it warped the heads? You can check your oil to see if there is white creamy stuff on the dipstick. Or look inside the oil cap, to see if you can see any creamy looking stuff in the oil. This is not a fool proof way to tell if you have a leaking head gasket. Because it depends on where the gasket is broken. Water may not get in the oil. It may get in the cylinder. Then the cylinder burns it off when the engine starts. But this would only last so long because as it would get worse, more water would leak into the cylinder and burn off at startup.. But as more water leaks in, during crank up the engine will lock up. Because water does not compress. However air does compress which gives you a certain 10.5:1 compression ratio.

With a mildly broken head gasket, water can get burned off if its leaking into a cylinder and initially you won't know where it's going. But yet you have to fill it up often but you won't see it leaking anywhere..

With a massive hole in the gasket, water will be foamy at the top of the radiator. This is usually caused by overheating.
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.

RED
    94' Z28

OK ONE FINAL Question... When your engine is stone cold and you warm it slowly with the cap off, does the water look like its foamy with a lot of air in it? Or can you see solid streams of water pushing out of the core of the radiator?

reason being is, if its all foamy... then you got a busted head gasket. And yes, with that much air in the system it will be hard to keep it cool..

So the question is, has your engine ever over heated? So much so that it warped the heads? You can check your oil to see if there is white creamy stuff on the dipstick. Or look inside the oil cap, to see if you can see any creamy looking stuff in the oil. This is not a fool proof way to tell if you have a leaking head gasket. Because it depends on where the gasket is broken. Water may not get in the oil. It may get in the cylinder. Then the cylinder burns it off when the engine starts. But this would only last so long because as it would get worse, more water would leak into the cylinder and burn off at startup.. But as more water leaks in, during crank up the engine will lock up. Because water does not compress. However air does compress which gives you a certain 10.5:1 compression ratio.

With a mildly broken head gasket, water can get burned off if its leaking into a cylinder and initially you won't know where it's going. But yet you have to fill it up often but you won't see it leaking anywhere..

With a massive hole in the gasket, water will be foamy at the top of the radiator. This is usually caused by overheating.
    thanks for your help but I think I may have found the problem... I'll let you guys know.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

btw, jackign up the rear of the car would (if anything) make air rise BACK toward the heater core. You're suppose to have the front slightly elevated. BUt actually, I dont think its really all that critical because if the water is full, air will accumulate in the radiator. Then it gets pushed out as the engine warms, and then the system will suck water in as it cools. Natural purging of air pockets.
    Hmm, wonder why it worked for me then??

figment of their imagination.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

figment of their imagination.
    Actually not, the air was trapped and angled the car in that direction allowed the air to escape. It's not the first time I have done this.

so what portion of the cooling system was it trapped and how did they know it was there?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

so what portion of the cooling system was it trapped and how did they know it was there?
    How am I supposed to know that?

well, a better question, how did they know it was there and where the air was... And once it was removed completely, how did they know it was gone..? Xray vision? don't think so. imagination..

but hey. I bet if you changed the fuel filter, it probably would have fixed it..
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

well, a better question, how did they know it was there and where the air was... And once it was removed completely, how did they know it was gone..? Xray vision? don't think so. imagination..

but hey. I bet if you changed the fuel filter, it probably would have fixed it..
    WTF are you talking about. I complimented you on your knowledge and now you are being a smartass. This is why I try not to post tech help because of people like you with your stupid comments.

So Chad, if air is in the system, how do you know and where is it at?

WTF does a fuel filter have to do with it?
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-07-2008 at 06:06 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Oh, now I get it! You started a retarded thread about changing fuel filters!
    Why don't you take this knowledge of yours and put it to some good use in, as say, uh, a career since you have no life except for playing internet tech.

Fuel Filter fixes everything...

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i am master tech of you all, praise me

red
    95 Z28

Ok no more flaming, and no more smartass comments from you CHAD.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information