!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

LT1 Crank in LO3? need internal experts help

im eventually gonna do an engine swap to the lt1, but for now, i just want my LO3 (305 tbi) a little more powerful.

i know i can install an LT1 cam in my engine and with the tune it shoud have a 25-30hp increase. you may say "why waste money on a 305 tbi?". . . the cams can be bought for $30 on ebay.

the cranks can also be bought for $30 on ebay.

sbc 350 (im assuming this includes lt1): 4.00 bore, 3.48 stroke
    305: 3.735 bore, 3.48 stroke

does this mean that if i get any crank from any 350 its not gonna have any effect at all, since its the same stroke my engine has now?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

bump...?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

i dont think the lt1 will fit. any 350 crank will fit though, just as long as it is from a 1986 or newer one piece rear main seal block. it would be the same stroke so it would be a waste. if you change heads, cam, and intake, you will be better off. with those upgrades you might make 300hp at the crank. world products makes heads that fit the 305. I think they are the torquer or s/r torquer. if you do change the cam have a chip burned for the new cam. if you call the company they will give you a sheet to fill out so they can burn you what you need. it usually costs about 200-300 dollars.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    i dont think the lt1 will fit. any 350 crank will fit though, just as long as it is from a 1986 or newer one piece rear main seal block. it would be the same stroke so it would be a waste. if you change heads, cam, and intake, you will be better off. with those upgrades you might make 300hp at the crank. world products makes heads that fit the 305. I think they are the torquer or s/r torquer. if you do change the cam have a chip burned for the new cam. if you call the company they will give you a sheet to fill out so they can burn you what you need. it usually costs about 200-300 dollars.
    sweet thanks for the info. u dont think the lt1 engine will fit? or the lt1 crank? or the cam?

cuz, i know for a fact a bunch of ppl on thirdgen.org have done the lt1 cam swap. no1 got it tuned tho.... not many ppl on that site are real knowledgeable and they take toooo long to respond. thats why i asked here.

my main question was about the crank being a waste or not. i didnt know if there were any other factors affecting performance. k, so theres no point in doin the crank i guess.
    the cam, IDK...

and, do i need to burn a new chip JUST for the cam? or for all the other stuff too? in which case ill wait till i have them all at the same time so i dont have to burn multiple chips...

appreciate the help

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/modthel03.html

thought this might be of interest to you

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

thanks 94. i will def. read thatwhole thing

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

the cam will fit. when you get a chip burned, tell them what you have done, i.e. headers, exhaust, cam, and whatever else. dont get it done until you have done all your mods. it should run without a new chip, but you will be losing some power.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

the cam will fit. when you get a chip burned, tell them what you have done, i.e. headers, exhaust, cam, and whatever else. dont get it done until you have done all your mods. it should run without a new chip, but you will be losing some power.
    i will be losing power compared to stock? or i will just be losing the potential power of the lt1 cam?

i know a burned chip is necessary for the cam, but, what if i just get the cam now, and upgrade the headers and exhaust later? can i just burn a chip for the cam, and not burn one for exhaust mods?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

either wait to burn the chip, or have it done for headers and exhaust with the cam.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

either wait to burn the chip, or have it done for headers and exhaust with the cam.
    damn... alright thanks for the help. i didnt know i would need the chip for just exhaust or sumthing minor like that

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

also, i know this is about an NA build up, but about chip burning, do i need that if im gonna do a 100 shot? or 75, w.e.... (without doing those other mods. just nitrous)

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

i'm not sure with nitrous. i wouldnt do anything bigger than a 75 shot. i dont know how much fuel the tbi system can add when you add nitrous. upgraded parts are few and far between for those engines. i think one company can help you out though. im not sure of their website but the name is arizona speed and marine. i have read in magazines that they do have some upgraded parts.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i'm not sure with nitrous. i wouldnt do anything bigger than a 75 shot. i dont know how much fuel the tbi system can add when you add nitrous. upgraded parts are few and far between for those engines. i think one company can help you out though. im not sure of their website but the name is arizona speed and marine. i have read in magazines that they do have some upgraded parts.
    cool. thanks alot for ur help

Thread Information