Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ls1 swap

This is a discussion on Ls1 swap within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 5.0THIS You mean my car will never be able to keep up with an LS1?!?!? Damn I ...

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    You mean my car will never be able to keep up with an LS1?!?!? Damn I better sell it fast!
    C'mon 5.0. I didn't say would never. Stock for stock is what I meant. I don't think that we need to get into stock hp levels for the two engines for like the trillionth time on here. No doubt as to which engine has more potential though

red
    95 Z28

I like all the guys saying that the LS1 has more potential hands down.... Within the realm of bolt ons, yes, the LS1 rules. Once you start building the motors and putting boost to them, all bets are off. It's been proven.

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    I like all the guys saying that the LS1 has more potential hands down.... Within the realm of bolt ons, yes, the LS1 rules. Once you start building the motors and putting boost to them, all bets are off. It's been proven.

Not really, the LS1 has an aluminum block thats lighter and breaths better. as long as your still compairing the LT and LS blocks the LS block will always be better. It's why GM has used it from 97 in the First LS1 vette and continues to perfect it to the new 7.0L 427 LS7 that will be in the 06 Z06 making 500HP stock. Now if you're going to sit on building motors you've missed our discussion point completely. I could build a 502ci that would kick the pants off an LS7 or LT4, but then it's like we're compairing The Nextell Cup to the Busch Series, two seperate classes. The LS1 compaired to the LT1 wins hands down, bets are on, and It's been proven.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Not really, the LS1 has an aluminum block thats lighter and breaths better. as long as your still compairing the LT and LS blocks the LS block will always be better. It's why GM has used it from 97 in the First LS1 vette and continues to perfect it to the new 7.0L 427 LS7 that will be in the 06 Z06 making 500HP stock. Now if you're going to sit on building motors you've missed our discussion point completely. I could build a 502ci that would kick the pants off an LS7 or LT4, but then it's like we're compairing The Nextell Cup to the Busch Series, two seperate classes. The LS1 compaired to the LT1 wins hands down, bets are on, and It's been proven.
    I can tell from reading your post that you're just spouting off what you've read elsewhere. You're a magazine commando. The LT1 block is stronger than the LS1 block.

the LS1 has an aluminum block thats lighter and breaths better.
    The block breathes better?? bwhahahaha The block has nothing to do with it. It is obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Since you dont know... the power is in the heads bud... True the LS1 head is a better design, but you can get AFR 23 degree LT1 heads flowing well over 330cfm. That is better than most ported LS1 heads. And once you apply boost, the heads become less important. Up until very recently, the fastest all motor 4th gen F body was an LT1.

And BTW, I'm done arguing this. You own an LS1, so feel free to not post in this section. Everyone in this section already knows our motor wasnt touched by the hand of God like yours was.

1994 POS

Hey Dummy, when I'm compairing blocks, don't go talking about heads and boost. Like I said you're changing the topic, but I guess you can't read anything thats not in a magazine. And it breathes better beacause it can keep cool a hell of a lot better than the LT Block. Oh and you're calling me me a magazine commando? how much googling did you have to do to come up with...

"you can get AFR 23 degree LT1 heads flowing well over 330cfm. That is better than most ported LS1 heads. And once you apply boost, the heads become less important. Up until very recently, the fastest all motor 4th gen F body was an LT1."

I've enjoying this debate because my competition is ignorant and doesn't know the topic of dicussion

1994 POS

To get things back on topic since I do have a right to be here with my LT Car and it's titled LS1 swap.... Drtrider82, have you figured out if you're going to do a swap?

Drtrider82
    I haven't decieded. It all depends on what i can find the most reasonable. I found a 95 t/a that needed some engine work (rebuilt) but otherwise was a pretty nice car for two grand. At this price i can buy a high milage running ls1 and build it how i want and still be okay. I wasn't tyring to start an ls1/lt1 pissin match, but was more curious if anyone had done this and i would have any major unforseen problems like in wiring harness ect. The way i see it If i buy an ls1 car for considerably more money I am going to strip the motor down to nothing anyway. Just my thoughts

1994 POS

If you do end up swapping an LS1 into a 93-97 car you have to watch out for a couple things on the electrical side. The harness, which I know a guy that makes them to fit your application, 93-95 are all OBD1 and you'll need to add OBD2 to talk to the computer later on, and the tach will work, but will be off until you get a signal converter that's around 80 bucks. As long as you're doing it to a V8 you wont have any problems with the suspension holding up, but you'll need some headers fabricated to the existing exhaust. To keep the curise working you'll need an LS1 throttle cable, the LT1 cable wont reach. The tranny will have to be ls1 specific also. If you're going from a V6 you'll also want to put a posi unit in the rear and possibly change the gears while you're at it. Along with a new K-member and motormounts that should be about it. Expect some headaches though and after all is said and done, the car's only worth the parts in it not the hard work.

Awaiting Activation

Hey Dummy, when I'm compairing blocks, don't go talking about heads and boost. Like I said you're changing the topic, but I guess you can't read anything thats not in a magazine. And it breathes better beacause it can keep cool a hell of a lot better than the LT Block. Oh and you're calling me me a magazine commando? how much googling did you have to do to come up with...

"you can get AFR 23 degree LT1 heads flowing well over 330cfm. That is better than most ported LS1 heads. And once you apply boost, the heads become less important. Up until very recently, the fastest all motor 4th gen F body was an LT1."

I've enjoying this debate because my competition is ignorant and doesn't know the topic of dicussion
    Hey ass jack, care to explain how a block breathes better because it cools off faster?? I guess that's why the LS1 guys that are running high hp go to the 6.0L iron block....hmmm maybe because iron is stronger than alum. The reason the LS1 breathes better is due to the heads, not the block, the only advantage the block has is the 6 bolt mains and the alum(as a weight aspect).

I find it funny that you called Andy a dummy, yet continue to act like an ass when someone corrects you.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala
    the only advantage the block has is the 6 bolt mains and the alum(as a weight aspect).
    The cross bolted mains is indeed a superior design, and a nice feature. But you do see LT1 production block holding well over 1000rwhp (wasnt big Rick making 1400rwhp or so?), so the good old 4 bolt main design (splayed or otherwise) seems to also do the job just fine. Other than that, any LS1s you see putting up better numbers has nothing to do with the block or the rotating assembly for that matter.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 09-09-2005 at 01:15 AM.

Awaiting Activation

I guess to dumb it down a lil bit for those who refure to listen. Think of a motor as two ballons, one with a 2" neck and one with a 1" neck. When both are the same size and pressure which one will empty first?? The 2" Think of the LS1 as having a 2" neck and the LT1 having a 1" neck, that's the main(98%) reason they make more power stock for stock than an LT1.

Put a blower and/or a good set of heads on both and equal rotating assymblies and they are gonna make damn near the same power. Stock for stock the LS1 only has a couple dozen more hp than the LT1, and the block architecture is similar(not the same or close) but rely's ont he same setup adn principles.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

You know, I don't think this guy should be gettin ripped for his comments as he is trying to offer valuable advice from an experienced standpoint to someone who is thinking about going down the same road. I think that what MadSeason meant with the "breathes better" comment is that the aluminum block will dissipate heat faster than an iron one, which is true. I don't think that he said anything about the LS block being stronger than the LT. I know this is an LT forum and that there will of course be some bias in here but the guy is just trying to be helpful, so let's all just chill and have some fun

1994 POS

The guy is trying to decide LT, LS, ect... having gone through both and busting 2 LT Blocks due to overheating I threw an LS1 into my 94 car for a reason. I wasn't trying to build a 1400HP block up, just a daily driver with enough punch to suprise Naturally Aspired engines. Each block has its stong points and its weak point. IMHO if you want an LT1 over an LS1 go right ahead, but I'll take the benefits of the LS1 any day of the week based on my personal experience. Nothing needs to be dumbed up for me. We're supposed to be talking about a LS1 swap in here. I am mearly offering my opinion which is not ment to change your mind, only make you think.

blk
    ?

i was looking into an ls1 swap also but i think i would rather just build up the lt-1 for plug and play reasons.when the motor is done just slap that bitch back in....but i have owned both and the ls1 is far superior...but ive seen full built lt-1 cars spank mild h/c bolt on ls1's ...its just rare i guess

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

well to be honest i dont think id swap an LS1 into it, unless you can get a sweet deal on one, if you are going to do a swap why not do an ls2? or a 383/408 with a nice cam and headers? you'll get way more out of then putting in an ls1. Just my opinion.

blk
    ?

i think mad season meant that the oil passages in the ls block are wider and can breath better...cuz we all know the crank case breathes....but i believe the ls block was again reintroduced to yet better oil delivery thus meaning a better oiling block from 01 up

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades
    but i have owned both and the ls1 is far superior...but ive seen full built lt-1 cars spank mild h/c bolt on ls1's ...its just rare i guess
    Not rare, just irrelevant. The LT1 was short lived, as the LS1 came out very soon afterward. I mean, I see Edelbrock finally came out with an "Air Gap" intake manifold for the LT1/LT4 engines. Great concept, yes, but their a few years too late, IMHO. Just goes to show how dedicated the market was for the LT1's back then....

As for the LS1 being far superior, an engine is an engine. It's just a giant air pump. Sure, from the factory, the LS1 is better, but like 5.0THIS mentioned, once you start getting into the head and cam game, it becomes a whole other ball game. Just ask LT1 veterans like Joe Overton...

blk
    ?

ok then..put the lt4 up against ls6---lt4 says 330 hp'''lets say 03 ls6(405 hp)---but i believe the gm crate ls6 makes more than 405 at the flywheel.....but i also believe lt4 was more than advertized as well......

but bottom line is the 1996 lt4 grand sport corvette will get spanked and yanked by a 405 hp ls6 c5.....
    NOW IF WE SAID WHICH BLOCK WAS STRONGER>>>>YOUD BE STUPID TO SAY ALUMINUM IS STRONGER THAN IRON........

blk
    ?

ls1 vs ls6 mod for mod ---ls1 makes more power

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades
    ls1 vs ls6 mod for mod ---ls1 makes more power
    I think you meant LS1 vs LT1, and not LS1 vs LS6, right....

This highly depends on the mods. If your talking bolt ons, then yes, the LSX engine is superior, but this is because the LT1/LT4 engines came with crappy heads (in comparison). However, as said, once you start getting into the H/C/I game, it becomes a whole other ball game. Proper compression, air flow, cam specs all play their part. Symmetry is the key to all engine performance....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information