WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

LS1 motor and intake under LT1 hood?

Just like the title says... will the LS1 motor and intake off a 98 up car fit under an LT1 ram air hood on a T/A... i got a motor in the wings just wondering if its all gonna line up...

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

i dont see why not there maybe a problem with the suspension, and engine mounts might not be the same, i dont know of the older lt1 equiped cars but the ls1's dropped out of the car with the suspension from underneath the car

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

not a prob, i have everything i need swap wise... found a deal on a wrecked one... gonna build the bottom end and throw heads and a cam on it first (get it set up for boost)... swaping the whole drivetrain and putting in a strange 12 bolt

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i pretty sure the motor mounts are different. and i think you need the ls1 k member.

Yes, K-member, computer, wiring harness, etc.....

Since you have a wrecked car you have it made. Everything you need is there.

Thats the route I will take when the right deal comes along.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

So basically you think the intake assymbly will fit under the 97 ram air hood? I just dont want to hassle with swaping everything to 98 up front end at the moment... It wont matter once i boost the car but for now im just going to run it all motor and id like to have the stock intake with the lid

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

it should clear with no problems.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

sounds good... I think eventually later on down the road ill swap the entire front end but for now this is a good cheap way to get back into LS1 performance.... hey plus ittl suprise the hell out of some stang owners

Black
    1995 Trans am

I had read somewhere that one of the reasons for changing the front end of the T/A is b/c the LS1 does not fit in the 93-97 thats why it was made wider and they just did a new front end...dont know how true this is though.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

false... its deffinatly not wider... the underworking of both front ends is the same, just the outer panels were changed... given the 02 up hood dose set a bit higher... the motor fit isnt really the question... its the intake fit...

Black
    1995 Trans am

thanks...now I know.

Black
    94 Camaro LS1!

im almost done with my swap just got the wiring left underhood.. did you do the swap?

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

not yet... still researching the options... im thinking it may be cheaper to sell the ls and buy a golen 383 lt1... wanna do it right this time around lol

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Hello, Im currently doing a LT1 to LS1 swap in my 96 TA WS6 and you can use the LT1 K member but you will have to reuse your LT1 motor mounts with the aftermarket conversion plates but they will have to be modified along with the LT1 motor mounts. The plates you buy will have to be put on the opposite side that they recomment. If I had it to do over again I would buy a K member from an LS1 car. However, I already spent an arm and a leg for my setup including taking my LT1/trans out and putting the LS1/trans in. The engine sat back 2 and a 1/2 inches but if we had time we could have put the engine in about the same spot as the LT1. Therefore I had to modify the trans crossmember, really made a new one, and cut and rebalance the driveshaft. If I remember right the LS1 engine block is slightly wider than the LT1 but I can't remember. The rack and pinion appears to be the same but the angle where the intermediate shaft connects to is different. The ac components are different as well. The connection at the top of it is the same as the LT1 but not at the bottom. The drier setup is different alog with the evaporator connections. You really need the auxillary fuse box with the wiring harness and the connectors attached because this is missing from the LT1. I dont have the differences in front of me but I can include them at a later date. Of course you could use a painless wiring harness if you want to spend an arm and a leg for it. But trust me on this, there are many slight differences between the LT1 setup and the LS1 even though a lot of them look to be similar. The brakes both front and back are different from the LT1 too. There are other things as well. But as far as I know based off of what I went through and Im currently encountering with my conversion, most if not all of the LS1 parts will swap out with the LT1 parts. You can use your LT1 parts but in most cases you will have to modify parts. Im still working on my car but if anyone needs help I would be glad to help out as far as what Ive already encountered or researched.

Thread Information