Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking into getting an LT1

This is a discussion on Looking into getting an LT1 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by kenz28 I am with Hot Black Trans am. If you have bigger pockets go for the ls1. ...

Quote Originally Posted by kenz28
    I am with Hot Black Trans am. If you have bigger pockets go for the ls1. If you have a budget get the lt1. I have into my 1994 lt1 race car as much as some people pay for a 1998 stock ls1. It runs 11 second passes and with some nitrous would easily be in the low 10s.

Your car must be on crack to beat a head/cam lt1 with with a ls1 cam only car.

I have yet to find someone in this town with a cammed only ls1 that can beat me.
    Dude, OMG , I cant believe the ignorance of this so called " LS1 " site. I have a friend right here in northern kentucky who has nothing but some suspension work,stall and runs 12.2 all day. He has a small stall,gears,mids,tune and traps 111 in his 2000. stock heads and cam. I have seen him wax more then 30 Cammed LS1 over a 2 year period. I have friends with cam only LS1's that I personally know running low 11's without a problem.
    And I have a friend who has a cammed LT1 with a 125 shot that runs a 11.8@117 with 1.6 60's.
    I love LT1's..I own one and have owned many..Why would I lie? I have nothing to gain except arguments with ignorant people.Its not like the LS1 just came and im the 1st person to see these results,thousands of people have had the same outcome from the LS1 long before I ever took posession of one.
    I swear some people just cant handle the truth.
    You have never been beat in your head/cam LT1 bye a cam only LS1? That means nothing. For all I know you have never raced one. What are your quarter times?
    Last edited by robb4964; 04-03-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    Then your friend can't drive for shit...

Ok,He is a professional drag racer,He has 5 cars and all of the are 12 second cars or better but yeah, Ok , he cant drive.

Once again you dont know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    I take serious offense to you punk-ass LS1 a-holes, posting flame in the LT1 section. I have a '97 that runs in the low 12's to high 11's. If you want a balls-to-the-wind fast LT1 car... it's entirely possible. I've handed a lot of
    LS1's their ass with my car. And if any of your idiots take that as a challenge... bring it!!! So to the original poster of this thread... don't listen to any of these idiots. Get want you want and have fun! What's more... LT1 cars are a lot cheaper these days and can be built to surpass just about any LS1.
    Nobody was flaming. Your ability to take in information is questionable.
    Noone has said anything offensive.
    As far as BRING IT..where are you from? Drive that thing on down to ohio and Ill race ya! In my LT1 or LS1,you can pick.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by robb4964
    It does not have equal potential. I have a cam only LS1 trapping 120 MPH na.
    I think normally aspirated, you're absolutely right for the most part, especially when it comes to stock headed cars. The LS1's advantage lies in it's 15 degree cylinder head design, and incredible head flow. However... Many aftermarket cylinder heads for LT1 cars (such as AFR heads) have shown head flow numbers well over 300 cfm. I have seen over 330cfm from a 23 degree LT4 head. With flow numbers like that, the LS1's advantage is all but gone, as the power truely is in the heads and induction. Once you start talking aftermarket intake setups on LTx motors, there is damn near equal potential. And when you put forced induction into the equation, it's anybody's ballgame.

I have yet to run my car at the track. However, my friend has a 95 TA with a vortech supercharger running at 6psi with the lt4 conversion and I run with him all day long. His quarter mile time is 11.6 @ 121mph. 1.7 sixty foot.

My friends ls1 has a little more to it than just a cam and he runs 12.6 in the quarter at like 113mph.

ls1's are faster mod for mod. However, I find it hard to believe for a ls1 cam only car to beat my heads/cam car unless the thing is gutted and has some serious $$ into suspension.

red
    95 Z28

ls1's are faster mod for mod. However, I find it hard to believe for a ls1 cam only car to beat my heads/cam car unless the thing is gutted and has some serious $$ into suspension.
    It's possible.. There are cam-only LT1s running over 118mph.

I guess so. Just not in my area. I think I am the 4th fastest lt1 in state. The ls1 is first, but he is by no means stock. He runs a 11.0 in the 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    It's possible.. There are cam-only LT1s running over 118mph.
    Its not just possible, Its easy.

And the 15 angle valves are one of the great things about LS1's but it dont stop there. LS1 engine desighn in general is just amazing.

I have yet to run my car at the track. However, my friend has a 95 TA with a vortech supercharger running at 6psi with the lt4 conversion and I run with him all day long. His quarter mile time is 11.6 @ 121mph. 1.7 sixty foot.

My friends ls1 has a little more to it than just a cam and he runs 12.6 in the quarter at like 113mph.

If I put a supercharger on my LS1 id run 10's easily as it is right now.

My car has 300$ in the suspension. And is full weight wich is 3500+ pounds. If you want to race come to ohio and Ill race ya and Im 100% sure if your heads, cam and NA I will beat you.Im not trying to be an ass but man I have already had 4 LT1's and none of them remained stock and did not compare. They are 2 different beasts. I have nothing to gain lying. I own an LT1, Dont foget that. I can produce a video of both my cars running at the track. And I have tons of time slips laying around as well as some pics entering the traps.

I dont know how you find it hard to believe.This is not new news. I have a friend who just had his LS1 tuned and it is also stock heads and ful weight and he actually owns a head/cam LT1 and a SS LS1. His SS is faster.

His brother has a cammed Lt1 " CC306" and he is thinking about an LS1 conversion becasue I beat his cammed car when I was stock with a lid and catback.
    Last edited by robb4964; 04-04-2006 at 10:58 PM.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

read this. If you read it thrue youll never look an an LS1 the same.

It talks about everything from the valve angles to the piston weight.

If you take an LT1 head and an LS1 head and port them the same the LS1 will make more power. Thats how my Car has more power then most head/cam LT1's. Its the design. This engine was built with a clean slate.

When I get ready to put heads on my LT1 I may just buy a Procharger. Im not one for weight reduction or sacraficing driveability for power so Im considering a procharger.

Here is a quote.

LS1 generates 345hp at 5600 rpm and 350 lbs/ft. torque at 4400 rpm. Maximum engine speed is 6200 rpm. Compared to the LT4, it generates 15 more horses with peak power 200 rpm lower. It produces 10 more lb/ft. torque with peak torque 100 rpm lower. Chevrolet refused our request for a chart of LS1’s torque curve, but we believe it’s a bit flatter than that of the LT4. All this performance comes from a package weighing 66 pounds less and measuring half-an-inch shorter than a Gen II Small-Block. Some of us still compare today’s power ratings to the gross power figures of the 1960s. If that was still being used, LS1 would put out about 390-400hp. Most notable is that this engine is the first two-valve V8 to reach the one-net-horsepower-per-cubic-inch plateau. That is a monumental engineering achievement.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I love the LS1, and I'm not trying to be a cock and make an enemy, I just have an equal respect for the LT1 after the beast 97 I had. I don't think we'll get anywhere with this so I'm gonna back off.

On another note, how old are you to have owned all of these cars? You go through hotrods faster than I go through condoms. . .
    I hope to be able to say I owned several of these cars someday, but I have a attachment thing where I don't like to get rid of the one I have

http://www.thunderracing.com/images/dynos/398vs318.jpg

Small cam and 398HP to the wheels. A few bolt ons stock heads.

410HP to the wheels. Stock heads
    http://www.thunderracing.com/images/...er230_224a.jpg

451 Rear wheel HP with stock heads.
    http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=60

This is just thunder racing. Hundreds of other's have awsome numbers like these.Can you even show me a head and cam LT1 with a stock shortblock that pulls these numbers that this cam only LS1 is making? Nope. Wont find one. BTW, the LT1 is actually a slightly larger engine.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I love the LS1, and I'm not trying to be a cock and make an enemy, I just have an equal respect for the LT1 after the beast 97 I had. I don't think we'll get anywhere with this so I'm gonna back off.

On another note, how old are you to have owned all of these cars? You go through hotrods faster than I go through condoms. . .
    I hope to be able to say I owned several of these cars someday, but I have a attachment thing where I don't like to get rid of the one I have

Im only 26. I have owned alot more cars then this and no..Im not rich. I work ALOT to pay for these cars and I also support 4 kids. I bought my first 4th gen at 18. I worked and put a HUGE down payment on the first one, A LT1 bird, and had it payed off in a year and a half.Took a year of overtime and saving to get it paid off. I traded it for an M6 camaro because I prefer manuals. I bought the LS1 TA a few years ago stock to the filter and Bone stock I managed a 13.3@107 on street tires and I was horrible at taking off so my 60's where SOmething to laugh at. I threw on a lid,catback and ported MAF ends and was running 13.1@109 on street tires with those mods. Nursing it off the line. Stock suspension sucks on these cars so I couldnt do better then a 2.2 60.
    I cammed it and threw in a clutch and pulled a 12.8@113 on street tires untuned and missing with a 2.2 60. I then tuned it,bought an LS6 inatake and a few hundred dollars in suspension parts" Made all the difference in the world"and had bryan herter tune it and now it runs 12.0-12.3 on street tires and easily hits 11's with drag radials. Thats pulling a conservative 1.78 60. Thats the best 60 I have pulled as I am afraif of breaking the 10 Bolt.
    The LT1 is getting a stall this weekend. It just came in the mail today and I cant wait. I will have the LT1 running 12's before june I hope. It was quite a runnner from the box. Fastest stock LT1 I have had so far out of all of them.
    I did manage to pull a 12.9@105 in my 95 M6. It had shorties,gears and a centerforce clutch with 1.9 60's. I drove it like I stole it. The camaro has 210K on it now and still looks new.

sold the Z28 to a good friend. Then bought a LS1 Formula wholesale and sold it. I then bought the 97 LT1 for a daily driver. I also owned a 94 Z28 that I bought and sold for dirt cheap. It needed fuel pump,opti,rear end and belonged to some rich kid who let it go to crap and he sold it to me for 2k and at the time it had 60K miles on it and booked for 10. I fixed it in my backyard and sold it.

I am a true fan of 4th gen F-bods. I want another LT1 camaro because I think with a big cowl hood and some welds it dont get much better looking. If My Girlfriend would can finish college on time I am going to buy an 08 camaro when They come out.

The LS1 is paid off now so Im gonna try and save for a 12 bolt. Mid 11's are in my near future in the LS1. I thought about selling the Black TA and buying heads. But I cant do it. I love it to much.
    Last edited by robb4964; 04-04-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1

BTW, I dont consider someone an enemy for lack of understanding or agreement. So you dont have to worry about that.

Im not trying to be a cock either but im a realist. And denial is ugly!..LOL

Woah Robb, calm down. I never said the LT1 was a better engine. The LS1 is by far superior, however if you were to say put $$ to $$ the LT1 would win. Any half way decent LS1 car costs around 8k or up. I have about 9k total into my whole car. This includes the price of the car and all mods. I was just stating for the money you could spend on a stock LS1 car you could have a mean LT1 car.

Comparing a fully modded LS1 against an LT1 is like comparing the LS1 to the LS6. They are different engines with different price tags.

If you want to talk about fast without very little money into modding then I would say a chipped, pullied, and intake cobra would beat practically any car any day of the week.

I was just simply trying to help the thread starter with my opinion.

red
    95 Z28

No more LS1 vs LT1 pissing match...

Woah Robb, calm down. I never said the LT1 was a better engine. The LS1 is by far superior, however if you were to say put $$ to $$ the LT1 would win. Any half way decent LS1 car costs around 8k or up. I have about 9k total into my whole car. This includes the price of the car and all mods. I was just stating for the money you could spend on a stock LS1 car you could have a mean LT1 car.

Comparing a fully modded LS1 against an LT1 is like comparing the LS1 to the LS6. They are different engines with different price tags.

If you want to talk about fast without very little money into modding then I would say a chipped, pullied, and intake cobra would beat practically any car any day of the week.

I was just simply trying to help the thread starter with my opinion.
    Thats cool man.
    But a LS6 is pretty much AN LS1 with light head porting. So its still different.

If you look for ls1's cheap they are out there. I bought my 99 TA 2 years ago for 8k and it was like new " ebay" and I have less then 2400$ in my setup on my LS1. I have done all the work myself though" Saves alot of dough"
    There was a guy up the street who sold a 2000 LS1 m6 Z28 for 4100$ I almost bought it but I bought my 97 TA instead.I actually paid more for the LT1 but It was in prestine condition.

lt4ever
    Wait... let me get my ruler out... Yup, my dick is bigger!

kingls1
    See it wasnt just me. People are just answering the guy's question. I have had 2 LT1's bebore my ls1. I stell like the lt1 but I will mever go back. BTW thank's for the little vacation Ron Berg.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information