Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    z9_87

Looking into getting an LT1

I'm looking at getting a 93-97 LT1, preferably the later years but if a car is well taken car of, the year doens't matter much to me as far as cosmetics go.
    Thats where my question comes in. What breaks on lt1's? What years should I watch out for because gm did something stupid that year etc. I want to know a lot about the car before I go to buy it because if I don't later on I'll want a different one. I do like the TA's more than the z28's and I wont have an auto.

Thanks for the help,

Zach

lt4ever
    If you get an LT1, you'll soon learn to hate your optispark, as we all do. This is your distributor/ cap & rotor. Very prone to failure! Nothing you can do, but become an expert on changing it out and recognizing when its about to go.

One of the leading culprits in the optispark failure is a leaking water pump impeller seal. Water pump drips coolant down onto the optispark and pretty soon, corrosion sets in.

Other than that, the engine is a beast, tranny is stout and rest of the drive train is adequate. All of this is assuming the car is bone stock. Once you get into modifying it, you'll replace it all.

z9_87
    Well as long as it doesn't quit on you as your driving down the road like it did in my 302 last summer.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'd say go for the 95. It has the OBD-I and you don't have to worry about the cats when you decide to drop them. 96 up got the OBD-II. The 93's have the bad MAF's that really suck.

z9_87
    By bad MAF do you mean the sensor is (generally) bad or the housing is to small? It seems both of those can be fixed rather easily.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

wrong type. It's the speed density which don't make as good power. It can be fixed but why fix it if you can get one with out it. I remember something about the trany's too that weren't as strong, but I don't remember the specifics. IMO it is always better to not get the first year of production for a new car or generation. I like to give them a year or 2 to the bugs worked out. I don't like the 93 wheels either. If you want to mod it then I guess it doesn't really matter.

z9_87
    Oh ok, so there is no mass air flow sensor. I know all about speed density, switched my 302 over from a v6 maf harness and soldered in the maf part into the SD v8 harness.

SD is also bad because it doesn't accept mods to the engine well. Chaning like a cam or something and not telling the computer that the map pressure is changing with the cam is going to make it think it's always under a load. However speed density is argued to run a little better if it's tuned to the car's mods.

LT4

Just talked to MSD Ignition this afternoon and they said that their new LT1 distributor will be coming out in about a month. Approximate price through Jegs is $499.95. As far as the leaky water pump, I'll be changing over to an electric powered pump by Mezier. This will at least rid the back side of the pump of a leak.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    wrong type. It's the speed density which don't make as good power. It can be fixed but why fix it if you can get one with out it. I remember something about the trany's too that weren't as strong, but I don't remember the specifics. IMO it is always better to not get the first year of production for a new car or generation. I like to give them a year or 2 to the bugs worked out. I don't like the 93 wheels either. If you want to mod it then I guess it doesn't really matter.
    93 had the 700r4, 94 up graduated to 4l60e, that may be what you are thinkin of

z9_87
    Quote Originally Posted by sret43
    Just talked to MSD Ignition this afternoon and they said that their new LT1 distributor will be coming out in about a month. Approximate price through Jegs is $499.95. As far as the leaky water pump, I'll be changing over to an electric powered pump by Mezier. This will at least rid the back side of the pump of a leak.
    Wow, $500 for a distributor. That's a little steep. Seems to me like it'd be worth it to just put an aftermarket water pump in right away and save some money. Maybe throw in a new cam since I'm so close anyways

kingls1
    save your self some time and trouble and get an LS1.

z9_87
    how so?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1
    save your self some time and trouble and get an LS1.

Save yourself from getting banned and get the fuck out of the LT1 section.

kthxbye

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    93 had the 700r4, 94 up graduated to 4l60e, that may be what you are thinkin of
    ACTUALLY THE 93'S HAD THE 4L60... NOT THE 4L60E WHICH IS THE ELECTRONIC ONE WHICH CAME IN 94

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    ALSO THE REAREND IN THE 93 Z M6'S CAME WITH 3.23'S GEARS INSTEAD OF 3.42'S WHICH WAS ALSO INTRODUCED IN 94

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by MIDNITELT1Z
    ALSO THE REAREND IN THE 93 Z M6'S CAME WITH 3.23'S GEARS INSTEAD OF 3.42'S WHICH WAS ALSO INTRODUCED IN 94
    nope they were 3.42s, you are right about the 4l60 not the 700r4 though, my mistake
    Last edited by oneBADDz; 03-27-2006 at 01:00 PM.

lt4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by z9_87
    Wow, $500 for a distributor. That's a little steep. Seems to me like it'd be worth it to just put an aftermarket water pump in right away and save some money. Maybe throw in a new cam since I'm so close anyways
    I've heard the MSD optispark is made by the same manufacturer as the factory opticrap... just painted orange/ black just for MSD. Save your self the $$$ and just get a unit from your local auto parts store.

kingls1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    Save yourself from getting banned and get the fuck out of the LT1 section.

kthxbye
    Power trippin? I just speak the truth Brotha.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1
    Power trippin? I just speak the truth Brotha.
    Nope, not power tripping... Nothing LT1 owners havent heard a million times from LS1 owners....

So, like I said, you can stop posting this kind of crap in here, or I will give you a vacation.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lt1 =

Thread Information