Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking into getting an LT1

This is a discussion on Looking into getting an LT1 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Anyone being a bitch about LT1s has obviously never owned one, or at least one of value. It has every ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Anyone being a bitch about LT1s has obviously never owned one, or at least one of value. It has every bit of the potential an LS1 does. My old 97 M6 LT1 is still running strong on it's 100% stock bottom end at 182,000. The only real complaint you guys can give about the LT1 is the optispark, which isn't as bad to change as you guys say it is, that also probably comes from a lack of experience with LT1s.

I miss my LT1 I miss not having factory piston slap I'm not talkin trash though, I love my LS1 too

lt4ever
    I take serious offense to you punk-ass LS1 a-holes, posting flame in the LT1 section. I have a '97 that runs in the low 12's to high 11's. If you want a balls-to-the-wind fast LT1 car... it's entirely possible. I've handed a lot of
    LS1's their ass with my car. And if any of your idiots take that as a challenge... bring it!!! So to the original poster of this thread... don't listen to any of these idiots. Get want you want and have fun! What's more... LT1 cars are a lot cheaper these days and can be built to surpass just about any LS1.

Black
    1999 ls1

stock for stock the ls1 will beat the lt1 hands down. My lt1 would always loss my my buddys ls1. So i upgraded to ls1 you gotta love the top end pull. I have owned both cars and i would rather built the ls1

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I loved my 95 LT1 m6 that I had. I beat a 2000 WS6 auto with it from a roll and from a dig. Both were stock except for intake and exhaust. I did fry the plug wires, Opti-spark and fuel pump. It needed a new shocks and a clutch, but what do you expect for 85k miles on stock parts! Not a single serious problem with my hard driving I gave it. I really liked not having the piston slap!

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    lt1 =
    13. "Trolling"

"Trolling", or makings posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. This includes registering an alternate ID for the sole purpose of creating problems on the forums. "Troll ID's" will be locked immediately and permanently, and can be locked without notification to the offender.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 03-31-2006 at 04:24 AM.

kingls1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    13. "Trolling"

"Trolling", or makings posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. This includes registering an alternate ID for the sole purpose of creating problems on the forums. "Troll ID's" will be locked immediately and permanently, and can be locked without notification to the offender.
    Your a FAG ron
    People have the right too express themself's. This is the U.S.A

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1
    Your a FAG ron
    People have the right too express themself's. This is the U.S.A

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    Nope, not power tripping... Nothing LT1 owners havent heard a million times from LS1 owners....

So, like I said, you can stop posting this kind of crap in here, or I will give you a vacation.

If we own an LT1 can we comment?

I own both.Im on my 3rd LT1 and second LS1. If you plan on modding, Get an LS1.
    If you going to get an Lt1, get a 97. They have less opti problems and tend to run the best. 97's have a redone opti.

Both cars are reliable. My 95 LT1 had 200K on it and ran like a champ.Never had to remove a valve cover.
    Last edited by robb4964; 04-02-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Anyone being a bitch about LT1s has obviously never owned one, or at least one of value. It has every bit of the potential an LS1 does. My old 97 M6 LT1 is still running strong on it's 100% stock bottom end at 182,000. The only real complaint you guys can give about the LT1 is the optispark, which isn't as bad to change as you guys say it is, that also probably comes from a lack of experience with LT1s.

I miss my LT1 I miss not having factory piston slap I'm not talkin trash though, I love my LS1 too

It does not have equal potential. I have a cam only LS1 trapping 120 MPH na.

My LS1 trapped 109 almost stock with only a catback,lid,Centerforce.
    My past cammed LT1 trapped 108 with cam,tune and headers.

LT1's are still a great car to mod and lots of fun but LS1's can have 530HP with just heads and cam and stock cubes.

Your not going to find a better sports car fofr the money as an LT1. I am currently getting ready to cam my 97 TA and its still pretty enough to where everyone comments on it.

Drive both and decide for yourself.You wont regret either.

nope they were 3.42s, you are right about the 4l60 not the 700r4 though, my mistake
    no,1993 m6 =3:23's.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by robb4964
    It does not have equal potential. I have a cam only LS1 trapping 120 MPH na.

My LS1 trapped 109 almost stock with only a catback,lid,Centerforce.
    My past cammed LT1 trapped 108 with cam,tune and headers.

LT1's are still a great car to mod and lots of fun but LS1's can have 530HP with just heads and cam and stock cubes.

Your not going to find a better sports car fofr the money as an LT1. I am currently getting ready to cam my 97 TA and its still pretty enough to where everyone comments on it.

Drive both and decide for yourself.You wont regret either.
    To say it doesn't have the potential of an LS1 is a sure sign of incompetence. You are saying that an LT1 can never be as fast as an LS1. An LS1 might start out with a better base and react to basic mods better due to that, but with heads/intake on and LT1 you equal the playing field. My 97 M6 Z with a cam would blow an LS1 out of the water and with decked/ported/polished LT4 heads, intake, and the cam it was running high 11s for under 3 grand. To say they don't have equal potentential is as uneducated as saying all stangs suck and are slow. Anything can be built, anything.

The LS1 starts out with a better base, yes. That makes it cheaper to mod and easier to get better times out of. You pay the premium of starting out with a better base when you buy the car though.

I have a friend in my hometown with a 93 M6, 3.42s from the factory. Maybe some came with 3.23s I don't know all of the options that year, but I do know he had 3.42s, we even had em out of there when he upgraded.
    Last edited by oneBADDz; 04-02-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Basically to sum up this post, if you have a smaller budget get the LT1 and if you have a bit bigger budget get the LS1. Both cars rock!

To say it doesn't have the potential of an LS1 is a sure sign of incompetence. You are saying that an LT1 can never be as fast as an LS1. An LS1 might start out with a better base and react to basic mods better due to that, but with heads/intake on and LT1 you equal the playing field. My 97 M6 Z with a cam would blow an LS1 out of the water and with decked/ported/polished LT4 heads, intake, and the cam it was running high 11s for under 3 grand. To say they don't have equal potentential is as uneducated as saying all stangs suck and are slow. Anything can be built, anything.

The LS1 starts out with a better base, yes. That makes it cheaper to mod and easier to get better times out of. You pay the premium of starting out with a better base when you buy the car though.

I have a friend in my hometown with a 93 M6, 3.42s from the factory. Maybe some came with 3.23s I don't know all of the options that year, but I do know he had 3.42s, we even had em out of there when he upgraded.
    Take it how you will. The LS1 is a better platform,period.
    And know, I never said an LT1 couldnt be as fast. Are you to sensitive or what? A heads and cam LT1 would get demolished bye my cam only LS1. I have a friend with a 383 stroker who cant hang with me.

LS1 has a superior design=better potential. Not knocking LT1's. I own one and have owned MANY so I know what LT1's can do. Im getting ready to cam mine so I know they are worth modding. Im just stating the truth. And btw,this is an educated statement as I have owned and modded both cars and my Stock LS1 was faster then my header,geared.CAI,tuned LT1.

lt4ever
    I have a friend with a 383 stroker who cant hang with me.
    Then your friend can't drive for shit...

I am with Hot Black Trans am. If you have bigger pockets go for the ls1. If you have a budget get the lt1. I have into my 1994 lt1 race car as much as some people pay for a 1998 stock ls1. It runs 11 second passes and with some nitrous would easily be in the low 10s.

Your car must be on crack to beat a head/cam lt1 with with a ls1 cam only car.

I have yet to find someone in this town with a cammed only ls1 that can beat me.

lt4ever
    but LS1's can have 530HP with just heads and cam and stock cubes.
    Sure if you get all out stage 3 racing heads and a ridiculously huge cam with so much lope that it's not drivable on the street. But to achieve 530hp with JUST a heads and cam wouldn't make it streetable/ nor possible. Try adding a few more items to that list to reach 530hp.. like headers, underdrive pulley, tuned PCM, exhaust system, bigger TB, larger injectors, & gears. Then you might.... might... reach 530hp. Sorry gotta call BS where I see BS! more like 425 with all that combo.

Same basic mods as listed above would get an LTI probably in the 325hp range.

lt4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by kenz28
    It runs 11 second passes and with some nitrous would easily be in the low 10s.
    Your LT1 sounds sweet, whatchya got done to it? I'm currently in the low 12's and with some more practice and better tires, could probably flirt with high 11's.

My 1994 Camaro Z28...

I own a black manual 6 speed 1994 Z28 camaro with grey interior, fully loaded including air conditioning. It currently has 150,000 miles on the odometer. It was purchased in August 2004. This car originated from Ohio. From what carfax shows this car has only been registered here in Alaska for 3 years. So the body is in pretty good condition.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Modifications.

2 bolt block bored .030 over.
    Forged SRP Pistons
    Forged Sir "I" Beam Connecting Rods.
    Stock Crank ground .010
    GM847 Camshaft
    Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain
    95' optispark conversion
    Melling 155 oil pump
    Melling IS-55E Oil Pump Drive
    GM White Spring
    GM 3/4" Pickup Tube
    Electric Water Pump
    160 Degree Thermostat
    52mm BBK Throttle Body
    Powder Coated Intake
    Crome Valve Covers
    Crome Oil Pan
    Hooker Longtubes
    Hooker Y Pipe
    Single 3" Exhaust to a 3" inlet/outlet Hooker Muffler
    LT4 Knock Module

Head Modifications.

LE2 Heads 270/190
    Comp 977 Springs
    2.0 Ferrea Intake 1.56 Ferrea Exhaust Valves
    Ti Retainers
    10 degree locks
    Hi-Tech Pushrods 5/16
    Comp R Lifters
    Comp Pro Magnum 7/16 rockers
    Hi-Tech 7/16 studs

Car Modifications and Tuning Software.

Poly Urethane Engine Mounts
    Transmission Mounts
    Spec Stage 4 Clutch with Kevlar Disc
    Blue LED Gauges
    Chrome Oil Caps
    Lokar Aluminum Oil Dipstick and Tube
    Taylor Spark Plug Wires
    Champion Plugs
    Lakewood Drive Shaft Safety Loop
    Tuner Cat with Pentium III 800mhz laptop
    Tuned by Madz28
    Interior sheet metal sprayed with 3M Undercoating

Check out my site. It needs to be updated... www.akgaming.com/~kendall
    Last edited by kenz28; 04-03-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    Sure if you get all out stage 3 racing heads and a ridiculously huge cam with so much lope that it's not drivable on the street. But to achieve 530hp with JUST a heads and cam wouldn't make it streetable/ nor possible. Try adding a few more items to that list to reach 530hp.. like headers, underdrive pulley, tuned PCM, exhaust system, bigger TB, larger injectors, & gears. Then you might.... might... reach 530hp. Sorry gotta call BS where I see BS! more like 425 with all that combo.

Same basic mods as listed above would get an LTI probably in the 325hp range.

1st: You must know NOTHING about LS1's. AFR has a head/cam package that produces 520 HP thrue flowmaster mufflers and has a Medium cam the idles way better then the LT1 hot cam. As a matter of fact its the same cam I have in My LS1. A cam only LS1 that produces 460 to the wheels may have some drivability issue. Im talking about a mild cam and heads making 530 HP.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/dyno/ls1_030804.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    Your LT1 sounds sweet, whatchya got done to it? I'm currently in the low 12's and with some more practice and better tires, could probably flirt with high 11's.

I love my LT1. It is almost stock. It ran a 13.7@102 with the stock 2:73's. It has a CAi,airfoil, Hp3. I have a stall im going to install this weekend. Its my daily driver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information