Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white

looking into a 93 camaro?

hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm going to be looking to trade my current car for a 93 camaro. The link is below and I really know nothing about camaros or any chevys or pontiacs for that matter. From what this guy is saying does this look like a good car? I've had really bad luck with previous owners of my cars putting together combinations that have a lot of problems or not doing things right at all so I'd like to get an idea of if this looks right before I get in over my head again. After my current car I told myself I would never buy a car someone has modified again but thought this looked like it might be a good equal trade

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1225630540.html

I would be thinking about trading my 95 mustang svt cobra. I'm not getting in on the controversy of ford to chevy or anything like that, I'm not racist towards any car, I like my car I'd just like to try something new.
    I'm not even sure the person would want to trade for my car but he made it sound like it was a possibility.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

kinda hard to tell when the posting is expired.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

if looking into an f body best bet is to just get an ls1 from 98- 02. you will be much happier in the long run. save a few extra bucks and look for a higher milage ls1 if money is an issue.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Big change from that year mustang to an F-bod. LS1 car is the way to go. LT1's are a big pain in the ass but for those of us that own them... lets just say We are cursed men lol. You can do alot with both but the parts avalible for an ls1 is like the old ford 5.0 days. the list goes on and on and with GM hurting the engine platform isn't changin anytime soon.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had 5 camaro's, 2 LS1's and 3 LT1's. Although i had every bolt on meaning my LT1's at best i was able to get is 289 rwhp and all gave me some sort of problem except for my 93Z which ran like a champ but then again i changed everything on the car, lol. I couldnt be more happier with my LS1. If you didnt have a cobra and wanted a camaro id say ok fine get a LT1, but if you want to trade your cobra for a LT1, id have to say only do it for an LS1 if you can find a LS1 guy to do that and there is a good reason that it would be much easier to find a LT1 guy to do the swap with if it happens. I think the cobra compared to an LT1 is not much slower at all but bolt on to bolt on the LT is quicker from my past experiences. My thing is if you want a change in cars then do something thats a bit more worth it and a bit more drastic and get a LS1 and you wont regret it. By the way i do love LT1 cars and taken care of well they last for a long time and respond really well to mods.

white

I didn't mean to post and not respond. The camaro in the post was sold before I got to the guy about it even though he told me he'd trade me.
    I'd like to get an ls1 but I don't think its going to happen for a long time. everyone I've talked to that hasn't owned it since new or paid a minimum of $15000 for has had an endless list of problems. Not anything against craftsmenship its just previous owner not taking car of their cars.
    I had someone locally wanting to trade the day I got my mustang for a 01 trans am and I almost did it but waited a couple days to think it over and they hit a curb so it wouldn't have been worth it with all the body damage and I'm think the frame was tweaked.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive had 5 camaro's, 2 LS1's and 3 LT1's. Although i had every bolt on meaning my LT1's at best i was able to get is 289 rwhp and all gave me some sort of problem except for my 93Z which ran like a champ but then again i changed everything on the car, lol. I couldnt be more happier with my LS1. If you didnt have a cobra and wanted a camaro id say ok fine get a LT1, but if you want to trade your cobra for a LT1, id have to say only do it for an LS1 if you can find a LS1 guy to do that and there is a good reason that it would be much easier to find a LT1 guy to do the swap with if it happens. I think the cobra compared to an LT1 is not much slower at all but bolt on to bolt on the LT is quicker from my past experiences. My thing is if you want a change in cars then do something thats a bit more worth it and a bit more drastic and get a LS1 and you wont regret it. By the way i do love LT1 cars and taken care of well they last for a long time and respond really well to mods.
    i guess each car is different. my car made 278 WHP through the stock intake and dirty papaer filter, with crap oil in the pan.

all i had done to my lt1 is lontubes, and a magnaflow catback.

if i would do it all over again, i'd prolly buy a ls1. but i still ove the low end torque of the LTx motors. and, I think the LT1's sound better

black
    1994 Camaro z28

you know honestly theres alot of people out there that would pay good money to have an lt1 f-body, i agree that an ls1 is the way to go but if all else fails your still getting a pretty damn good car out of a lt1 f-body, what i am curently doing is i like the 93-97 bodies better then the 98-02 bodies so im swaping the engines out alot of work to say the least but it all pays off in the long run but just do what you like and get what you want kuz if your not satisfied with what you get you'll be in the same spot as you are now in 9 months, looking for another car.

white

ya I know thats why I was thinking I would probably just end up keeping my car since the problems from previous owners are almost all fixed and in a couple years save up and get a low millage ls1 or lt1. I don't really care just whatever's easy to work on and has cheep parts. Just from looking under the hood of some ls1s without working on them it seems like it would be a nightmare to work on.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

well the lt1 deffently has the cheaper parts out of the two but the trade off is that it doesnt have as many parts that you can buy like the ls1 does

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

There are alot of parts for and LT1 don't get it wrong. They are not all labled LT1 parts like lt1 cam or crank or lifters, The block, heads, Opti and intake are the propiatary parts of the LT1 other than that you can use 1 piece rear main seal cranks, Trickflow, AFR, Edelbrock, and others all make heads for them. The build options are good for an LT1 but the LS1's will continue to have more parts come avalible because GM is not changeing engine platforms any time soon.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

i like the ls series alot better personally

white

I know both have their pros and cons just like everything. I'm really looking fore ease of mantainence though. Parts are obviously a big deal to but if you cant install anything yourself then it would probably be worth it to have the one with more expensive parts if its the difference between a weekend install yourself or a shop job.
    I've looked into both cars and like both. I know with both few mods make a huge difference.
    Last edited by pk222; 07-05-2009 at 09:43 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    I know both have their pros and cons just like everything. I'm really looking fore ease of mantainence though. Parts are obviously a big deal to but if you cant install anything yourself then it would probably be worth it to have the one with more expensive parts if its the difference between a weekend install yourself or a shop job.
    I've looked into both cars and like both. I know with both few mods make a huge difference.
    If you're looking for ease of maintenance, LT1 is not the way to go. Just about everything is a huge pain in the ass on that motor, even things that should be relatively simple like changing spark plugs are a major job.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

so so true very glad im getting rid of my lt1 for an ls1 although it was good too me im gonna love hearing that ls1

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL yea LT1's suck to work on. took me 7 hrs to do a plug and wire change on my car when it had stock exhaust on it. Man I love my Long Tubes now. lol

white

ya, thats what I was afraid of. both the ls1's and lt1's look like the engines halfway under the dash.
    sometimes even my mustangs a pain to work on for simple things and the majority of people I've talked to say their one of the easiest cars to work on.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

thats why im glad ls1 has coils and not a distributor because the coil packs are on the valve cover right above the spark plugs. having those stock exhaust manifolds suck though

white

do ls1's have coil on plugs?
    also the optispark is the distributor on lt1's right? if so I heard there were a lot of problems on these on pre 95 lt1's due to the water pumps leaking on them. is this true?
    Last edited by pk222; 07-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    do ls1's have coil on plugs?
    also the optispark is the distributor on lt1's right? if so I heard there were a lot of problems on these on pre 95 lt1's due to the water pumps leaking on them. is this true?
    yea they have coil plugs, i never had that problem with my distrubutor on my lt1 but i have heard of that problem with some peoples but my lt1 is fairly stock

Thread Information