Results 1 to 20 of 20

long tube headers

This is a discussion on long tube headers within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; what all is required to set up long tube headers on a 94 camaro z28. i keep looking at them ...

  1. #1
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    long tube headers

    what all is required to set up long tube headers on a 94 camaro z28. i keep looking at them and it looks like i would have to redo my whole exhaust to do it. what all it actually required to do it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    You need a y pipe that is meant for LTs, either with cats or without. You also may need O2 sensor extensions with some headers.

  3. #3
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You need a y pipe that is meant for LTs, either with cats or without. You also may need O2 sensor extensions with some headers.
    would i need to redo any of my piping for the current exhaust system on it?

  4. #4
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    would i need to redo any of my piping for the current exhaust system on it?
    You will probably have to shorten you current I-pipe so it will match up with the new y-pipe.

  5. #5
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    You will probably have to shorten you current I-pipe so it will match up with the new y-pipe.
    do you know of a y pipe and long tube header that work well with the 94 camaros?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Martinsville, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    365
    1994 25th Anniversary T/A

    Pacesetters read here----> Pacesetter headers?

  7. #7
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    do you know of a y pipe and long tube header that work well with the 94 camaros?
    Personally, I have coated pacesetters and their y-pipe on my 94. Great price and quality. The only thing is that I thought the fitment of the EGR was crap.

  8. #8
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Personally, I have coated pacesetters and their y-pipe on my 94. Great price and quality. The only thing is that I thought the fitment of the EGR was crap.
    ah. so everything else was good about them? i'm considering them now.

  9. #9
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    I run Kooks and they are excellent. Fitment and everything. Only problem was the price

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    41

    black
    94 z28

    i got a 94 z28 and i run the pace setter long tubes and i am very satisfied with performance and sound but i also re piped the entire exsaust with true duals and x-pipe with 1 chamber flows here check it out http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...evinboy_photo/ 2 videos and some pics

  11. #11
    Senior Member t-rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    pocola oklahoma
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,121

    black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

    do you have to get tuned after headers like on ls cars or just stickem on and go?

  12. #12
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboy View Post
    i got a 94 z28 and i run the pace setter long tubes and i am very satisfied with performance and sound but i also re piped the entire exsaust with true duals and x-pipe with 1 chamber flows here check it out http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...evinboy_photo/ 2 videos and some pics
    i like that. that's pretty nice.

  13. #13
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    do you have to get tuned after headers like on ls cars or just stickem on and go?
    No, you don't have to get a tune, not even on LSx cars. A tune will help maximize the gains after headers, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. You will just be leaving some power on the table. Some people can't afford a tune, and for some, it would be a waste because they plan on getting more stuff that would need a tune, like a cam.

  14. #14
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    No, you don't have to get a tune, not even on LSx cars. A tune will help maximize the gains after headers, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. You will just be leaving some power on the table. Some people can't afford a tune, and for some, it would be a waste because they plan on getting more stuff that would need a tune, like a cam.
    that would be me. im prolly doing an sts turbo eventually so i wanna wait til then to get a tune.

  15. #15
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    that would be me. im prolly doing an sts turbo eventually so i wanna wait til then to get a tune.
    Some places offer 'lifetime' tunes. Its costs more at first, but if you plan on modding little-by-little and want maximum performance each time, that may be the way to go.

    Or, if you aren't planning on another big mod until the turbo in a few years, you may want to go ahead and get a tune for those headers, it will help increase fuel efficiency, and of course, power.

  16. #16
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Some places offer 'lifetime' tunes. Its costs more at first, but if you plan on modding little-by-little and want maximum performance each time, that may be the way to go.

    Or, if you aren't planning on another big mod until the turbo in a few years, you may want to go ahead and get a tune for those headers, it will help increase fuel efficiency, and of course, power.
    well it won't be a few years. lol. i should have the money for it by this summer so it's not that far out.

  17. #17
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Just throwing some options out there. I think it would be smart to wait since a power-adder is in the near future. Good luck.

  18. #18
    Senior Member t-rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    pocola oklahoma
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,121

    black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    No, you don't have to get a tune, not even on LSx cars. A tune will help maximize the gains after headers, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. You will just be leaving some power on the table. Some people can't afford a tune, and for some, it would be a waste because they plan on getting more stuff that would need a tune, like a cam.
    i have read where your leaving a hp on the table like you say but dont you tend to run rich without one? so i have read with lsx cars too. thx

  19. #19
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    i have read where your leaving a hp on the table like you say but dont you tend to run rich without one? so i have read with lsx cars too. thx
    Yes, most cars do tend to run a tad rich after installing LT's. This is due to the increase in engine efficiency. It doesn't have to pump as hard to move air, therefore, it doesn't need as much of air/fuel (combustion) to complete the process. But the PCM doesn't know this and still runs the injectors on the factory tune, when you may not need as much fuel. This is why some people get a tune after headers.

    I have been running LT's and bolt-ons for over a year on the stock tune. No engine problems and its definately an improvement over stock.

  20. #20
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Yes, most cars do tend to run a tad rich after installing LT's. This is due to the increase in engine efficiency. It doesn't have to pump as hard to move air, therefore, it doesn't need as much of air/fuel (combustion) to complete the process. But the PCM doesn't know this and still runs the injectors on the factory tune, when you may not need as much fuel. This is why some people get a tune after headers.

    I have been running LT's and bolt-ons for over a year on the stock tune. No engine problems and its definately an improvement over stock.

    Contrary to what you've read on the internet, not ALL cars run rich after headers are installed. When my car was tuned post-headers and bolt ons, there were many places where we ADDED fuel on the fuel tables. And I gained 18rwhp with my tune.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BBK Long-Tube Headers Install - Going Long
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM
  2. Long Tube Headers
    By adham in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
  3. Headers, Long tube vs Mid tube
    By hix5000 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
  4. long tube headers
    By 97Trans_AM in forum LT1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 04:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •