Job time estimation?

How long would you estimate a garage would take/charge to replace the header bolts on my 96 lt1 with the rediculous slp headers? i attempted it, and found that only 1 of 12 bolts is actually really serviceable. It looks like the bolts have to be slid in on an angle to clear the headers, then the entire headers moved into place to screw them in. At least some of them. I cant even see the passenger side, but I'm assuming they are the same if not worse.

How long does it take to drop an lt1 out of a car? ie what would I be looking at price wise? I figure if thats whats gotta be done it might be cost beneficial to do a front timing gasket and rear main seal since both are slowly leaking, and I have been just ignoring it because its cheaper to but an extra quart of oil between changes then have it done! but now i might have a needy excuse to have the motor dropped?

red
    95 Z28

Any shop worth half a shit shouldnt have to drop the motor to do the header bolts. I've never worked with SLP headers but I cant really see how it could be much worse than any other header. The bolt holes and the primaries are always going to be about the same distance from each other.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Have you tried loosening all of them up and removing and reinstalling them one at a time?

No, simply because if I can't get em back on, then I'm fucked. This is gunna have to be a garage thing, I just need to know how much I need to save up.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I can't recall all the differences on lt1/ls1, but I would imagine since you already have LT's, to get all the bolts you would need to remove coil packs, emissions if applicable, plug wires, and oil pickup tube. You should be able to hit all from top or underneath afterwards.

Are they being removed completely for a gasket change, header swap or just replacing the bolts?

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I can't recall all the differences on lt1/ls1, but I would imagine since you already have LT's, to get all the bolts you would need to remove coil packs, emissions if applicable, plug wires, and oil pickup tube. You should be able to hit all from top or underneath afterwards.

Are they being removed completely for a gasket change, header swap or just replacing the bolts?
    No Coil packs in the way. Coils are mounted up front on timing chain cover.
    On my '95 I have LT's and can change all drivers side bolts from the bottom. Passenger side was a bit tougher front bolts got to from the bottom and back ones from the top. I think I used a swivel on 1 pass side bolt.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

SLP headers are a pain in the ass to install and access plugs after the install. Crappy design.

Thread Information