Black
    1996 Trans Am

Intake Manifold LEAK!!

ok i know everybody who owns an LT1 has heard or incountered the infamous rear intake manifold leak.went under my car yesterday to change the old oil & filter and ill be damned if my undercarrage wasnt wet AGAIN. about 2 months ago my oil press. sending unit was leaking and it was running down the back of the block and under the car, so i replaced it ($25 O'reilys). everything was good until now. i took a close look and found that the intake was in fact, leaking. so now iv ordered a new gasket from the dealership where i work and im getting ready to do the fix this weekend. has anyone done this fix yet, and if so any advise or cautions? thanks
    sam

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Use LOTS of silicone sealant on the back and front. I had to replace my manifold and I didn't use enough in the back, and it started shooting out oil. So I had to take everything off and do it again. USE A LOT. NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH in this case.

Black
    1996 Trans Am

really? iv heard alot of people say that when they used to much silicone it leaked like crazy.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 96t/a View Post
    really? iv heard alot of people say that when they used to much silicone it leaked like crazy.

There IS such a thing as too much. You dont want so much that it can fall all the way down into the motor. I've sealed up many small block chevy motors that used RTV as the sole intake end rail seals. The key is to make sure everything is perfectly clean down to the metal, and wipe the surface off with lacquer thinner before you put the rtv on. A single bead, maybe 1/4 to 3/8s inch round should do it, and overlap just a bit on the edges where it intercepts the hard gaskets. And when you're cleaning, clean the outside of the block and manifold as well, so that after you've bolted the intake on and tightened it down, you can flatten out (with your finger) the rtv that pooches out. This gives the rtv something to "hold on to" and kind of locate the gasket as it hardens, as well as ensuring a good seal around all of the edges.

Thread Information