Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HP boost?

This is a discussion on HP boost? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I understand what you were trying to say before. Yes, there will be a touch less restriction on the intake ...

red
    95 Z28

I understand what you were trying to say before. Yes, there will be a touch less restriction on the intake tract. I doubt you'll see much difference in IATs. I still think you'll have to be going at an excessive speed to see any benefit from it at all. Plenty of very high hp guys run typical cold air intakes and make all the power they can. Get the ram air if you like the looks.

red
    96 ss

i'm really not looking for the so called "ram air effect" i just want to feed my air compressor as much as it can take. heres some examples of surface area.

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv...p/hvac/g/g.htm
    http://www.aesinc.com/revamp/prod/fi...tm#filtipsarea

8. Can an engine get too much airflow?

No, an engine can only take in a fixed volume of air depending on the engine’s size. The more restriction that an air intake system (filter, air box, and tubing) causes, the greater the potential is for power and mileage degradation.

i am looking for every last little hp i can muster out of my setup. i wanna see over 450 rwhp na but my goal is low low 7's in the 1/8 on motor. later 5.0 gotta go finish some of my crap.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I wish I remember where I saw this little 'experiement' but I saw/read about a guy who ran his car is the 1/4 with both a CAI and ram air setup, with no changes to anything else. 3 runs on each and compared the times. There were pretty much no difference in the times, and it was an A4.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I wish I remember where I saw this little 'experiement' but I saw/read about a guy who ran his car is the 1/4 with both a CAI and ram air setup, with no changes to anything else. 3 runs on each and compared the times. There were pretty much no difference in the times, and it was an A4.
    yeah he would fall into the group that didn't need a larger filter surface area. for him it was over kill. it seems i am not doing a good job at explaining my point. ram air is not going to add hp due to its name sake. if you have a motor that requires 1000 cfm and you have a filter that can flow 850 , you are missing out on some needed cfm. the larger the surface area, the more air said filter can move thought itself. i am not saying go buy a ram air hood and expect to run a faster et with 99% of the setups on here that are n/a. read some of the links i posted , not all of them will aid my point of view but you can get the general idea of what i am talking about. think of it this way. you are under water trying to breath through a straw. the smaller the straw the less cubic feet of air you can take in. with the same amount of force though a bigger straw you will get more cubic feet of air. hench you dont drown under water. also if you think it will hurt velocity, it can't. the air speed will pick up all it needs when the pistons yank it though the runners. most of the velocity is made in the runner anyway. i hope i made my point clear enough. good night gents

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But going with a bigger filter isn't necessarily going to yield noticeable flow numbers. Look at FI cars. Most of the filters they use are K&N cone filters which are the same as the ones that come with the cold air kits.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jasonisdn View Post
    yeah he would fall into the group that didn't need a larger filter surface area. for him it was over kill. it seems i am not doing a good job at explaining my point. ram air is not going to add hp due to its name sake. if you have a motor that requires 1000 cfm and you have a filter that can flow 850 , you are missing out on some needed cfm. the larger the surface area, the more air said filter can move thought itself. i am not saying go buy a ram air hood and expect to run a faster et with 99% of the setups on here that are n/a. read some of the links i posted , not all of them will aid my point of view but you can get the general idea of what i am talking about. think of it this way. you are under water trying to breath through a straw. the smaller the straw the less cubic feet of air you can take in. with the same amount of force though a bigger straw you will get more cubic feet of air. hench you dont drown under water. also if you think it will hurt velocity, it can't. the air speed will pick up all it needs when the pistons yank it though the runners. most of the velocity is made in the runner anyway. i hope i made my point clear enough. good night gents

Like I said, I know what you're saying. Here's what I'm saying. It still wont make that big a difference. The engine is going to take in x amount of air regardless (with very minor variations). Adding a cold air kit, headers, etc isnt going to really change that. All you're doing is making the engine a more efficient air pump, reducing pumping losses. The difference in filter surface area between ram air and cold air (and the amount of available air to each) is almost the same, and will make IMO no notable difference between the two, wether you're trying to get every last horsepower out of it or not.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But going with a bigger filter isn't necessarily going to yield noticeable flow numbers. Look at FI cars. Most of the filters they use are K&N cone filters which are the same as the ones that come with the cold air kits.
    yes but they aren't using the surrounding atmospheric pressure. they have the advantage of using the compresser to force the surrounding air well above the pressure at that given time. hench you can use a small filter due to the fact the unit (super charger,turbo,blower) is going to supply the cfm that it's made to push.
    Last edited by jasonisdn; 01-08-2007 at 04:10 AM.

red
    96 ss

[QUOTE=5.0THIS;537982]Like I said, I know what you're saying. Here's what I'm saying. It still wont make that big a difference. The engine is going to take in x amount of air regardless (with very minor variations). Adding a cold air kit, headers, etc isnt going to really change that. All you're doing is making the engine a more efficient air pump, reducing pumping losses. [QUOTE]

yep you got it, that was my point you are making it more efficient. giving it all it can take it,cfm wise and not limiting it.

[QUOTE]The difference in filter surface area between ram air and cold air (and the amount of available air to each) is almost the same, and will make IMO no notable difference between the two, wether you're trying to get every last horsepower out of it or not.[QUOTE]

thats where i don't agree but i am only looking (in my mind) at a max effort engine. well i hope the original poster had his questions answered, somewhere amidst this post.

silver
    1995 formula

Quote Originally Posted by sofTAp View Post
    Oh ... So, underdrive pulleys are no good??? The BBK one says that it could net me about 15hp ... would this not be good??
    There is only one underdrive pulley that work without breaking anythings.Its the ASP-945100 23% underdrive damper pulley.

Its not a piggy back and since its a damper it completely replace your stock one and give you some hp.Also your system will full charge at 800rpm so your still good with the stock idle of 750.

https://www.aspracing.com/ezRetail/s...php?msg_id=255

Red
    1994 z28

That should be better than the add on. Has anyone used this before?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by quickz1670 View Post
    That should be better than the add on. Has anyone used this before?

I have that pulley on my car (the ASP setup that is the entire unit). Doesnt really give you much power, but a bit better throttle response, and it slows down the accessories a little bit.

Red
    1995 TA Convertable

So, no one has tried the BBK one? I know they make some great parts for other cars, so I figured why not? What else would I need? a new belt perhaps?? Also, I already have the hood on, so it cannot hurt to get the SLP setup.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yes, you'll need a new belt. Smaller pulley=smaller belt.

Red
    1995 TA Convertable

So you know what size?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Not specifically, but it depends on what size pulley(s) you go to.

Red
    1994 z28

I have the march pulley. I don't want it. If you want it let me know.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Okay, let me see if someone can help me out with this before I go spend $$ on a dyno for my '98 6-spd Z28

Last time I dyno'd, I hit 331 RWHP with the following mods:
    Fast Toys ram air kit
    RKSport hi-flow lid
    JBA headers (around here, those smog techs take that peek underneath)
    HypertechIII programmer
    cut-out

I have since added :
    BBK 80mm throttlebody
    1:8 ratio CompCam rockers
    LS6 intake manifold

I plan on installing a new cam; thinking about 216/220 (not too lopey)

What kind of HP engine/wheel should I expect to see?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Okay, let me see if someone can help me out with this before I go spend $$ on a dyno for my '98 6-spd Z28

Last time I dyno'd, I hit 331 RWHP with the following mods:
    Fast Toys ram air kit
    RKSport hi-flow lid
    JBA headers (around here, those smog techs take that peek underneath)
    HypertechIII programmer
    cut-out

I have since added :
    BBK 80mm throttlebody
    1:8 ratio CompCam rockers
    LS6 intake manifold

I plan on installing a new cam; thinking about 216/220 (not too lopey)

What kind of HP engine/wheel should I expect to see?

You'll find more people with those type setups in the LS1 forum areas. This is the LT1 tech area. Nonetheless, I would suspect about 340-345rwhp with what you have now. With the cam and proper tuning, maybe ~380 rwhp.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the response. This thread seemed to have some good tech talk when I started reading it.

I'll be jumping back to the LS1 forum now...

Green
    1997 ws-6

hey man check out this guys site it will acurately answer all of your questions. every mod/cost and all individually dyno tested and cost per hp avg. very helpfull and will save you from spending any money on useless shit. you can do a throttle body bypass for free and it shows a 6hp gain. also hypertech comp tuners are going for 150 used all day i have one and it is very noticeable. you have to do headers though and good luck with that. it is sickening spend the 600 and have it done at a shop on a lift and thank yourself for not even trying to do it on your back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information