Thread: How much power?

Black
    1995 Camaro Z28

How much power?

Just curious how much power can stock LT1 internals handle? Without boost or NOS.

You mean like all bolt ons? I think you will break your rear before youll kill the motor.

Black
    1995 Camaro Z28

rear....

Yeah tell me about it. other than the opti (dont get me started) what was GM thinking with a 7.5" rear? my goodness lol. i didnt think there was a low limit to power on these motors (minus the boost and nos as i mentioned earlier). but the only reason i asked is because ive heard the modular 4.6 in the mustang cant handle but about 450 hp before it becomes unreliable. didnt want to get carried away and end up with a motor that wont stay together.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Yeah The Stock 10 Bolts Are On The Weakside

BLACKED OUT
    94 LT1 CAPRICE

about 450 hp/ stock tranny... so i think

a stock engine and tranny can handle a 75 shot of nos... can also handle a turbo or supercharger of course...

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 94DRVETTE
    about 450 hp/ stock tranny... so i think

a stock engine and tranny can handle a 75 shot of nos... can also handle a turbo or supercharger of course...
    A stock LT1 can handle damn near anything, the question is for how long. Stock LT1 pistons are not big on boost of any kind.

Black
    1995 Camaro Z28

boost and nos not for me

Im not knocking anykind of boost or nos not saying i dont believe in it because ive seen some really serious cars that you wouldnt see witout it. but i am more of a conventional kind of thinker when it comes to fast cars. i believe in raw power .. all motor .... not to say one of these days i wont end up with boost but if it can be done without it id rather take that route. but anyway i thought the LT1's were pretty tough knew the tranny wasnt all that great and the rearend sucks lol just wondering what a limit would be for stable operation. more or less what im wondering is if you start having problems over 450 hp i would like to stay around or below that range. but anyway thanks for the info, enjoy the forums. later.

BLACKED OUT
    94 LT1 CAPRICE

actually

the tranny is actually great... and it can handle pretty much whatever you throw on it... it just takes a couple minor upgrades like a larger pan and what not...but theres a guy that has over 70 runs at 11 sec with a 100 shot at 668hp and the tranny is still fine.... i was thinking about upgrading to a th-400 but i was told there is no point.... the lt1s and the 4l60e trannys were built to last....they were made to get beat down on a daily basis and still come back for more... stick to the stock engine block/ possibly upgrade the heads to ported and polished alluminum and stroke the engine to a 383 or 396/ upgrade the existing tranny / the stroker kits and tranny upgrade kits come with any and everything you need to get all the power you want from it... you can pick and choose if the parts are forged or not and so on..... it seems tho... all the car buffs i talk to... they all have different preference...

Thread Information