Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

torid red
    2004 gto

How hard is is to swap out a lt1 for ls1??

Hey everyone, I have a question for you all. I have a 1995 Trans am with A4. My buddy has a LS1 motor that came out of a 02 trans am.. Im wanting to swap out my lt1 for the ls1.. How hard is it to due.. Motor comes complete with cpu, harness and all.. Will it be a streight swap, or would i need to due any mods to get the ls1 in??? Im hoping you guys can help.. Or should I just build up the LT1 what do you think???

Black
    99 SS

IMO build up the LT1, the swap will be tough, your going to need to swap the wiring harness also not just the engine, totally different system.

torid red
    2004 gto

Yeah thats coming along with the motor.. would it be a problem switching to the ls1 harness.. ? I mean its a complete system...

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I have always been wondering the same thing, its hard to get a straight answer sometimes lol. Lets say there is no option and you absolutely have to swap an LT1 with an LS1 what needs to be done? Lets try not to get answers like "better off building the LT1 or better off buying one with an LS1" is it easier then swaping with a V6 or is it about the same work?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Goatdude805 View Post
    Yeah thats coming along with the motor.. would it be a problem switching to the ls1 harness.. ? I mean its a complete system...

not sure never done a swap but i do not see an issue with it, being my friend put an LS1 into an 88 GTA

I would think a 97 would be an easier swap than a 96 or older. The 97's got day time running lights and the alarm and the ls1 cluster and inside brain box.. and all that. So maybe more of the harness is like the LS1. However, I'm sure most of the engine hook ups are different.. I don't think it would be that hard though. Just start doing little by little. It can be done. How hard it is irrelevant in my opinion. Its just a matter of getting the harness and the PCM. And if you already have a 97 then you have the cluster and all that too.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

you would need new motor mounts too

pewter
    2000 ta

well from what i have heard from someone who has done if it was not worth it you have to change rack and pinion and k-member but since you have everthing i would say go for it you will get a lot more power out of it and in the long run i think you will be happy with your results you have everthing any way so get ur done good luck

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i have seen people do it. they had to fab some stuff up and rewire but from what little i know about it, it is not too hard. get the 98+ k-member and that will save you a lot of time.
    Click for full size

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

Quote Originally Posted by birdmanta View Post
    well from what i have heard from someone who has done if it was not worth it you have to change rack and pinion and k-member but since you have everthing i would say go for it you will get a lot more power out of it and in the long run i think you will be happy with your results you have everthing any way so get ur done good luck
    when i had the performance shop working on my car to fix my opti i asked about swapping out an LS2 and the owner said it bolted right up, so i can imagine an ls1 would be easier.

torid red
    2004 gto

Thanks guys for all your input.. Lets keep it coming, its getting me closer to do what i have to do....

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1bandit View Post
    when i had the performance shop working on my car to fix my opti i asked about swapping out an LS2 and the owner said it bolted right up, so i can imagine an ls1 would be easier.
    How could it be easir than just bolting right on? It throws itself into place?

save the dough and just get a built lt1/4 shortblock or stroker

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Look into the LE1 kits, I forgot what it stands for...

lt1 powerd c10

im in the process of puttinga 2002 vette ls1 in a 1957 bel air . as long as you have the right tools you can do anything. but if you have to ask if its hard or easy than your not knowlegeable enuff to do the job.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea thats easier tho, but ur right. With the right tools anything can be done.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Look into the LE1 kits, I forgot what it stands for...
    LE stands for Lloyd Elliot, and I heard they were calling for you in the V6 forum. Nah, just joking.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    LE stands for Lloyd Elliot, and I heard they were calling for you in the V6 forum. Nah, just joking.
    lol very funny. Where have you been? Rumors have it you been posting up a lot lately on some civic forum

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    lol very funny. Where have you been? Rumors have it you been posting up a lot lately on some civic forum
    That's a good one, really. Seriously though, i've been busy putting an LT1/M6 in a my latest f-body - Polo Green '94 Z. Not really a fan of the green, but I bought the car in excellent shape inside and out with no trans or motor for dirt cheap. It will be a mildly modded daily driver.

torid red
    2004 gto

Dude,, First off. The main idea here is to get input from someone who has done the swap or knows about it... I mean a Fbody is totally different then your 57 belair.. 1. you dont need to worry about emissions., seond you did not specify wetheryou are going carb, or fuel injected. wich brings the question to wether you need new cpu unit, wiring harness, air pumps for smog regulations, different k member, motor mounts,, I mean any one could just rip out a motor from a car and get one in with "the right tools" Its about doing it right, and making it work.. for what its intended for.... Sometimes You have to think outside the box.....BRO!!!

Thread Information