Header Problem!!!

This is a discussion on Header Problem!!! within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok i installed Long tube pacesetter headers today on my 96 trans am, and i used mr gasket copper gasket, ...

Black
    1996 Trans am

Header Problem!!!

ok i installed Long tube pacesetter headers today on my 96 trans am, and i used mr gasket copper gasket, and i cranked it up without my o2's plugged up and first all , i have exhaust leaks around the headers and my bolts are tight, so i guessing its the gaskets? and whenever the cars running i have a ticking noise coming from the driver side header, and the more i give it gas the faster the ticking gets.... what is causing this? anyone have an idea? i have ngktr55 in it, but havent changed the plug wires , i am waiting on them to get here....so anyone have an idea?

Red
    1996 Trans Am

The Ticking is coming from the header leak. I would just use the Felpro Stock gasket. I have heard over the years the coppers almost always leak.

I have used copper for years on my chevelle without problems at all.

But I wonder if what you are running into is a gasket mismatch????

I didn't think the Mr. Gasket made a copper one for LT1 cars with the proper D shaped (flat floor) exhaust port.....

I was thinking the copper gasket from Mr. Gasket for the small block chevy was of the round port design,,,in which case it would probably leak around the flange.

Black
    1996 Trans am

I'm not sure but it sure pisses me the f*ck off! I spent a week taking my ytime making sure everything is perfect and done right and ger this all on and crank it up to find out it has leaks everywhere!! What are the bolts supposed to be torqued at?

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    I'm not sure but it sure pisses me the f*ck off! I spent a week taking my ytime making sure everything is perfect and done right and ger this all on and crank it up to find out it has leaks everywhere!! What are the bolts supposed to be torqued at?
    If they are leaking everywhere,,,then it sounds as though you installed round port gaskets. LT1's are a little odd in that respect,,,,they have a flat floor (D-shaped) exhaust port so the standard small block headers gaskets don't work.
    I believe even the headers are LT1 specific and have this D-shape on the flange to seal to the head.

I am sure there is someone that makes the proper copper gasket with the right port shape for an LT1,,,that is if you want to stay with that material.

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    I used Felpro gaskets on my head gasket swap and I got new header gaskets too. It all came in one Felpro kit. And the ticking noise IS the exhaust leaking.

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok then where can I get some felpro gaskets for a 96 LT1 trans am?

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    Autozone.. But it seems odd that the gaskets you have are not good enough. I can't remember, is there a left and a right side on those header gaskets? if so, then I would verify they are turned facing the proper direction before you actually install the Felpro's. (Just so you can get your money back on them if you don't need them).

Black
    1996 Trans am

Tell u the truth bro they look exactly the same to me!! What's the difference in the felpro 1405 and. 1470 ?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

You want the 1470, because that is the application specifically for the LT1 and LT4 D-Port heads.

Thread Information