Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gas smell

This is a discussion on Gas smell within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i dont think it can really build more pressure other than the fact it can slosh around alot more....

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

i dont think it can really build more pressure other than the fact it can slosh around alot more.

It was smelling so bad today, I had to open the garage after my car sat in it a while after I got off work. Its now down to 1/2 a tank. So its getting worse the lower the fuel level is.

Here's a question, does the tank build pressure or is that air sound a vaccum when you open the lid to fill it...? It must be a pressue inside the tank because I smell the gas on the outside.. So i assume its a pressure rather than a vaccum. All i've known for 10 years is that I hear air swooshing in or out when I open the tank.. Who knows if its going in or out? haha

I used to work at a convenience store, and I do know that gas will expand and contract based on temperature. So, if the cold gas from under ground gets pumped into a tank and warms up, it can cause pressure.. But I also know that the fuel line pressurized to create the squirting action at the injectors. So, maybe the tank is pressurized too? Or maybe just the fuel line itself? who knows..

either way, something has a leak.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 12-28-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

When you unscrew the gas cap to fill it and you hear the air, it's going out. That's one way to depressurize part of the fuel system when messing with it.
    Well, if you're leaking gas, look on the ground to see where its coming from. Unless you already addressed that, but I haven't read all the previous posts.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    It was smelling so bad today, I had to open the garage after my car sat in it a while after I got off work. Its now down to 1/2 a tank. So its getting worse the lower the fuel level is.

Here's a question, does the tank build pressure or is that air sound a vaccum when you open the lid to fill it...? It must be a pressue inside the tank because I smell the gas on the outside.. So i assume its a pressure rather than a vaccum. All i've known for 10 years is that I hear air swooshing in or out when I open the tank.. Who knows if its going in or out? haha

I used to work at a convenience store, and I do know that gas will expand and contract based on temperature. So, if the cold gas from under ground gets pumped into a tank and warms up, it can cause pressure.. But I also know that the fuel line pressurized to create the squirting action at the injectors. So, maybe the tank is pressurized too? Or maybe just the fuel line itself? who knows..

either way, something has a leak.
    If your system is still making noise when you open the cap, they its not a leak like i was thinking. A leak in the filler would stop it from building pressure.

ya I got a new cap.. Still smelly. But it goes away over night. I will have to crawl up under the car this weekend..

black
    2001 trans am ws6

i just gutted my converters out and now when i drive it my clothes smell a little like gas. Are my converters being gutted out the cause, and will this eventually go away. Why is this smell coming inside the car, how can i solve this problem?

Sounds like a fuel tank pressure problem to me. After you park the car next time crack the gas cap and come back later to see if the smell is better or not.
    I am going to assume you get a swooooshing sound when you unscrew the cap.

These tanks are vented primarily through the charcoal cannister up front,,,and I believe these newer type cars use an electric solenoid to trigger that cannister as to when the tank is vented. Where as older cars simply used a vacuum switch.

I would be curious if there is something obscure with the cannister, or the solenoid itself??? I am not sure if a charcoal cannister solenoid malfunction would even set an SES code or not??? I would think yes since this is an emmissions related item.

Also,,,I know throughout the 80's and very early 90's TPI cars not only used the same type cannister and electric solenoid,,,but they also had an extra line under the car near the rearend with a vented check valve for the gas tank as well. I am thinking the 4th gens did away with this little added feature though.

Every gas smell I have ever had or tank pressure problems always turned out to be that stupid charcoal cannister not working properly. My 70 Formula had this issue as well as my 88 Iroc, my truck etc....Hope that helps. Just to add,,,this problem was a real pain in the arse with a carburated car,,,,,it would blow open the needle and seat and flood the engine while it sat,,,,,impossible to start when I came back,,,,LOL.

well, the smell seems to be getting worse. I said in one of my first posts that I didn't think it was a raw fuel smell, but I think it is now. And It's coming from the back. I need to check a few more times, but yesterday I opened gas cap to relieve pressure just incase it was leaking fuel from the tank, but when I opened the gas cap it did not make that swoosh sound. So, I'm not sure what all this means yet. With my new job and present residence, I have not had time to read up on or maintain my car like I usually do. I'm so ready for my own apartment again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information