Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar

Fuel Filter fixes everything...

Got a misfire? Replace the Fuel Filter!

Have low horsepower? Replace the Fuel Filter!

Won't start? Replace the Fuel Filter!

Hesitation? Replace the Fuel Filter!

Blinker problems? REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER!

Girl Friend complains? Replace.... the.... Fuel.... Filter....

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I just did an hour ago, seems like the fuel pump is my problem tho.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

fuel pump does not equal fuel filter. But congrats on replacing a part that didnt change anything.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

No I mean my car has had trouble starting lately so I replaced the fuel filter. It didnt help much. im sure its the pump. now i have to upgrade to a walboro255

well good luck on finding your problem, but I'll tell you now that most the time when a fuel pump fails, its just stops working altogether. Not partially broken. And if you have low pressure, I think there is a pressure regulator that would come closer to fixing such a problem. Don't quote me on that. I'm not a fuel guy. Factory fuel pressure is fine for me. And as far as upgrading your fuel pump, well, unless its cheaper, I wouldn't waste your money. How long are you going to keep the car? see what I mean?

btw, people.. this thread was intended to be sarcastic.

I have had 2 different cars, my T-bird and my T/A both lose the fuel pump and they both started out with a momentary loss of power, then on both cars, neither one would start and then after they sat for a while they would start. Eventually the pumps quit altogther. I got my Walbro 255 cheaper than the stock replacement.

well a fuel pump is easy to tell if its broken. You wont hear it working. But I still stand firm on the theory that either it works, or it doesnt.

I go with the 95% theory. not the 5% where it works sometimes if you let the thing set a while..

Its broke if my car wont start when I want it to.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    I have had 2 different cars, my T-bird and my T/A both lose the fuel pump and they both started out with a momentary loss of power, then on both cars, neither one would start and then after they sat for a while they would start. Eventually the pumps quit altogther. I got my Walbro 255 cheaper than the stock replacement.
    Those are the usual symptoms for fuel pump failure. They will start to die slowly. Start for a little while, run fine, sputter momentarily, and then eventually die. I've found in my extensive experience with LTx's that the fuel filter usually outlasts a lot of components on the car, including the fuel pump.

When Mine died the first time.. and wouldn't start, I said Its broken!! I aint waiting around next week or a few days or 5 hours, to see if it will start.

The 2 times I had fuel pump failure it just died. Why wait around? How long does it take you to troubleshoot? I'm not waiting around 3 days to see if it will start.
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-06-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well I just replaced the starter, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator and car still has trouble starting. I would have to turn the key to the on postion then back off, then i hear this kinda whistling noise, (repeat process 1-3 times) then it would crank right up. All thats left is the fuel pump, so might as well get a 255 and if it doesnt fix it then idk whats wrong with car.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Unless anyone else can think of whats wrong with it?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Well I just replaced the starter, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator and car still has trouble starting. I would have to turn the key to the on postion then back off, then i hear this kinda whistling noise, (repeat process 1-3 times) then it would crank right up. All thats left is the fuel pump, so might as well get a 255 and if it doesnt fix it then idk whats wrong with car.
    That noise you hear is probably the air pump. What kind of trouble does it have starting?

Its easy to tell the different between air pump and fuel pump because both sounds come from opposite ends of the car. =) Plus the air pump is much louder. Unless your fuel pump is really bad and making a ton of noise. Like on a 3rd gen f-body.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I hear a noise from both sides of the car. when I turn it to the on position I hear somthing from the rear. Kinda hard to explain it. Then when I turn it off I hear the whisting noise from the front of the car.
    After cycling the fuel 1-3 times it would crank right up if not it just makes a noise like its trying to crank but I guess it doesnt hold pressure.

The fuel pump normally runs for about 3or 4 seconds when the key is initially turned on to pressurize the the line. Then the relay stops it from pressurizing because you can hear it click and then the pump shuts up. But if the line is already pressurized you may not hear it run for 3 or 4 seconds and then stop. See, overnight the line looses its pressure. And in the morning is the best time to change the filter because there is only just a little bit of pressure on the line and you dont loose nearly as much gas when changing it. But if the car has been started "recently" like in the past 30 minutes or hour or so, the line may still be already pressurized so the pump doesn't "act" quite the same as when there is no pressure.

Have you had an SES light when the engine is running?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I have an SES light but I have no cats either.
    I will try to get a code 2morrow. My car has been like this since I bought it last year, im jsut now getting around to fixing it lol.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Checked codes today, got 2 o2 sensores but i have no cats. And an EGR valve problem. Any relationship? I have pace setter LTs, and I dont have the EGR block off plate yet.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

TTT

Red
    1996 Trans Am

A fuel pump is one of the easiest to diagnose. Go to your local auto store and borrow or buy a fuel injection pressure tester. Screw it on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and turn the ignition on. You should have a pressure around mid 40's or higher. If nothing or If you don't want to get a gauge there is a red wire with a black end by it's self hanging out in the wiring harness on the passenger side wheel well close to the cars computer. Apply 12 volt jumper wire to it and listen for the fuel pump. If the pump works and gives the proper amount of pressure with the jumper wire then you have a blown fuse, bad relay or wiring issue. Do this and report back letting us know how it went.
    96 WS6 Trans Am LT4 Hot Cam, Pacesetter LT, 2.5" Xpipe into Dynomax, 3000 Stall Edge racing converter, Trans go shift kit,Tuning by me, MSD6A, CSR waterpump 328 RWHP 12.36 @ 109

Thread Information