Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Question FNG has some questions.

Im sure there is a sticky that explains this, but I cant seem to find it..... So let get started..... if someone was to buy an intake, would they need a MAF to make the intake work? Then wouldn't they need a throttle body to make the MAF work? A port and polished intake manifold for the throttle body to work?
    Then if you have added all that extra air flow, do you need more fuel? Like a bigger fuel pump? or injectors?
    Do you need to have the exhaust done as well?
    When do you need to have the car tuned?
    So I know thats a lot of questions, and I just don't know that much about cars. I might be way off. But If someone could help me out, or redirect me to the proper thread it would be very helpful.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And so you start down the modding trail. It's better to wait until you have a few mods done before you have it tuned. More cost effective that way. If you have an auto, you can have a tune done right off the bat, and improve your shift points. YOu should look around in here a little. First mod, sub frame connectors, if you are an auto, next would be a stall, and a tune. Lid is cheapest bang for the buck. Good luck, ask a lot of questions.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    And so you start down the modding trail. It's better to wait until you have a few mods done before you have it tuned. More cost effective that way. If you have an auto, you can have a tune done right off the bat, and improve your shift points. YOu should look around in here a little. First mod, sub frame connectors, if you are an auto, next would be a stall, and a tune. Lid is cheapest bang for the buck. Good luck, ask a lot of questions.

No, its an M6. However its good information to know about the tune, and I thank you for that. And yes, my first thing will be subframe connectors. But I still am confused about the compatibility of the other upgrades. Or rather, if one is useless without the other. Or if they are all needed in order to work properly? Let me know, and thank you again.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by 2tuff4u View Post
    if someone was to buy an intake, would they need a MAF to make the intake work?
    Im assuming you mean a Cold Air Intake (CAI), or the filter and tubing?
    If so, No. No MAF needed. The Stock will suffice.

Then wouldn't they need a throttle body to make the MAF work?
    No. The MAF is located in the tubing, The Throttle body is seperate.

A port and polished intake manifold for the throttle body to work?
    If you go with a larger than stock TB, then you would want to port the TB opening to match in order to gain the max benifits of the TB

Then if you have added all that extra air flow, do you need more fuel? Like a bigger fuel pump? or injectors?
    Depends on how radical the upgrades... Alot of peeps go with Big Fuel needlessly, and waste ALOT of pesos. If you plan on boosting, Fuel upgrades could be considered "Pre-Planning" The Stock Stuff Will be Good to about 400 HP.

Do you need to have the exhaust done as well?
    Yes... The more Air you take in, the more you need to get rid of.

When do you need to have the car tuned?
    These mods wont really warrant a tune, UNLESS, you remove the cats...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You have to envision the engine as a air pump, the more air you move, the more power you make. Easiest is to open up the air intake. You can open the air to the Maf for free. Remove and cut plastic. You can descreen the MAF, and port and polish it. The stock MAF is the best one for our cars, and can handle everything up to cam and heads. So, you have air flowing into the engine. Then you need to help it exit. A catback helps, headers will really open it up. Headers is where you will want a tune. Then, you will see a MPG gain as well.
    Last edited by az gt eater; 06-19-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    You have to envision the engine as a air pump, the more air you move, the more power you make. Easiest is to open up the air intake. You can open the air to the Maf for free. Remove and cut plastic. You can descreen the MAF, and port and polish it. The stock MAF is the best one for our cars, and can handle everything up to cam and heads. The LS6 intake is prob your next mod. This will handle everything up to cam and heads. So, you have air flowing into the engine. Then you need to help it exit. A catback helps, headers will really open it up. Headers is where you will want a tune. Then, you will see a MPG gain as well.

And i plan on running the LS6 intake and stock MAF well into cam and heads territory. Money saved for other stuff.
    His car is an L T 1 ....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

sorry old chap.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

NP. Just saying.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    Im assuming you mean a Cold Air Intake (CAI), or the filter and tubing?
    If so, No. No MAF needed. The Stock will suffice.

No. The MAF is located in the tubing, The Throttle body is seperate.

If you go with a larger than stock TB, then you would want to port the TB opening to match in order to gain the max benifits of the TB

Depends on how radical the upgrades... Alot of peeps go with Big Fuel needlessly, and waste ALOT of pesos. If you plan on boosting, Fuel upgrades could be considered "Pre-Planning" The Stock Stuff Will be Good to about 400 HP.

Yes... The more Air you take in, the more you need to get rid of.

These mods wont really warrant a tune, UNLESS, you remove the cats...
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I thought you needed all those things for any of them to work. Glad to hear I can add them on piece by piece. Thank you again!

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask more...

Thread Information