Fluid in carpetting in rear passenger seat...wtf?

I dropped a cd today and while feeling for it, i discovered the carpetting in the rear passenger side is soaking wet... nothings been spilled, and it doesnt have a smell...that i could detect... doesnt dry as fast as just water, but feels kind of slimey but not as bad as oil. what the hell is it? my car doesnt leak, it doesnt have ttops, i hasnt rained in awhile, wtf?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL my step dad had that problem on his 97 once. I think when he took it in they said that he had all kinds of leafs and crap in the air box and when he ran the A/C the Passenger rear floor would fill up because the drain for the air box was clogged. It could also be a heater core slowly leaking?

i have ram air so i dont think so... wheres the heater core located though? thought it was near the bcm behind the glovebox?

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Dude, he's not talking about your Ram Air box!!! Your A/C has a condenser and in the process of turning the freon from a gas back to a liquid, condensation forms and water droplets drip into the bottom of your A/C box, if this box is clogged from decaying leaves and dirt, it will not drain, but will be diverted into your passenger compartment, and since the rear floorboard is lower than the front floorboard, liquid flows to the lowest level, hence the rear passenger foot area. I would recommend finding this drainhole and cleaning it out, which will allow the condensated water droplets to drip out instead of inside your cockpit!!

anyone have a pic of what id be looking for? i know nothing about the a/c system.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

If you spilled nothing i'm 100% sure it's your drain tube.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

The heater core is actually inside the car and the A/C condenser is in the engine bay. I have never done it but you might ask a shop to do it if you don't want to. The place where the water comes out you can only get to from the engine bay I think. If you have a stock exhaust I don't know if you can get to it because of the exhaust pipes.
    Anyone else have some input?

Yup, two things... Your a/c condenser is right in front of your heater core (inside that big black plastic box mounted to your firewall). You have access to both through the inside of the car... Remove glove box, and kick panel, and under dash panel, then the black plastic cover over the heater core, then heater core, then the air diverter, and you will then be able to put your hand into the big plastic box mounted to your firewall that contains the a/c condenser.
    I really don't think that's your problem if you don't notice anything wet under the dash on the pass. side. I had the same problem in my '93... more notably on the driver side, and I am fairly certain it's your weather strip seal around the window (mine was hardtop, not t-top). Water would always puddle in the place where my rear seat was, and the floor in that area. If it stays for days water tends to get slimy, and it doesn't really have a way to dry out in a fairly tight car under carpet, and sound deadening. Hope this helps, pm me if you have any other questions

Oh, and i notice you have a ws6 hood w/an lt1 i'm guessing, so maybe you could help me. If you can send me a pic of your airbox lid/intake setup I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a similar setup, and am looking to get rid of that huge air silencer between the lid, and MAF. Thank you

Sure gimme a few days though im working a ton for the xmas week. in the mean time i have a hand laid fiberglass hood called the warbird 2 made by u.s. exotics from pa its not the gm hood in any respect... and the airbox is made is a "28002K Predator Functional Air Intake" from tbyrnemotorsports.com... it took some modding to get it to fit since the rubber boot that connects the maf to the 58mm throttblebody was a good 2 inches too long from tbyrne to fit my hood.

I see, I already saw one picture of a set up similar to yours, I guess yours doesn't pull the air from below the air box... more so from the top? Mine has to come in from the bottom being that it has the front end of a '98+ws6... Any help would still be appreciated.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Make sure that the hatch weatherstrip is glued on very well. Water will puddle up in this area and run down the quarter onto the floor.

Thread Information