Exhaust swap from ls1 to lt1

This is a discussion on Exhaust swap from ls1 to lt1 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok this dude has a 2001 ls1 trans am and i have a 96 lt1 trans am, and he is ...

Black
    1996 Trans am

Exhaust swap from ls1 to lt1

ok this dude has a 2001 ls1 trans am and i have a 96 lt1 trans am, and he is selling me everything headers back, the ypipe and the borla cat back, and he told me a guy said that the ypipe wouldnt work on my lt1 cause ls1 y pipes are different!! is that true, ok will the catback even work on mine ?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

He's selling you the headers also? I hope not, because LS1 headers won't work at all on at LT1. I don't think the Y-pipe would work either, even if you got the right headers. The routing is different from the LS1 and LT1. I do think, however, that the catback should work if you get the proper longtube headers and Y-pipe. Most longtubes/Y-pipe combos call for modification to the current catback for everything to line up properly. Since the end of the y-pipe will meet the catback underneath the driveshaft tunnel, the catback should wind up meeting it there. But if you don't do that, then I don't think any of that will work on your LT1. I think this because Borla makes a catback for LS1 cars and a different one for LT1 cars. Its just the difference in the position of the cats and Y-pipe under the car.

10's N/A

The Cat-back will need some fabbing but will work with modification. As far as the headers/ y-pipe, no cigar there.

Black
    1996 Trans am

Oh no he I selling me the ypipe and catback, I just installed new paceswtter ceramic longtubes witha ory pipe so I won't need his ypipe just the front of the cay back!! But ill let ya know bro when I get it!! It should be soon

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    Oh no he I selling me the ypipe and catback, I just installed new paceswtter ceramic longtubes witha ory pipe so I won't need his ypipe just the front of the cay back!! But ill let ya know bro when I get it!! It should be soon
    Oh, okay. Your fine then

Thread Information