Engine skips at hwy. speeds

This is a discussion on Engine skips at hwy. speeds within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; At 45-65 mph with the throttle just barley open I get a shutter,or skip in the engine. Smooth idle,no smoking,nothing ...

Engine skips at hwy. speeds

At 45-65 mph with the throttle just barley open I get a shutter,or skip in the engine. Smooth idle,no smoking,nothing out of the ordinary. I can see electrical flashing around the coil with the eng running {car in darkness}. Has anyone got an idea what may be wrong..? Possible coil? thanks for your time...

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

2000 trans am

possible crack in boot or crack in porcaline on the plug its self. Whats happening is the current is grounding on the engine causing a missfire that you can only feel under a load. i would start by pulling the plug and checking for a black or gray line goimg up the plug. Also check the boot for arc indications.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i was gonna say clutch slipping, but it seems to be a deff. electrical problem

Replaced coil and plug wires... The wires were a JOB. Hands are still cut up. Condition got better. But now I see {with the car in total darkness} flashing around #3 cylinder spark plug boot... These are new wires. So then replace #3 plug. Can still see faint elec. flashing around the boot where it meets the plug... Am I seeing things? What could be going on here... Once again, thanks for your time...

Could it be the opti spark????

Thread Information