Thread: e-cutouts

black
    94 z28

e-cutouts

i got pace setter mid-tuebes on my 94 z right now it is on a y pipe to stock cat i want to run true duals over the axel can if it get a pair of electronic exshaust cutouts can i put them directly on to the headers??

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Pacesetter's mids are actually shorties, sorry to tell you. But to answer your question, I guess you could if you worked on it. But its not recommended because those headers are in the engine bay (as opposed to longtubes with the collectors at the bottom) and the cutouts will spit the very hot exhaust back it and run the chance of burning something important. Everyone pretty much installs those cutouts on the y-pipe. Depending on what you have, they either have one on the I-pipe, or duals right after the collectors on LT's.

black
    94z

sorry for my stupidity but what are e cut outs and how do they work where do you get them and how much? tim

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Electric cutouts, as opposed to the manual ones where you have to uncap them from under the car. The electric ones can be open and closed with the flip of a switch from inside the car. They are connected to the existing exhaust piping that flow through the muffler, but they also have a branch that flow directly out of the pipes, therefore bypassing the muffler all together. Used for gains similar to open headers.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Here's a pic of it on a car. You can see the cat on the right with the dump on the left. The cutout is connected right before the cat and when opened, the exhaust flows out the turndown instead of flowing through the cat and the rest of the exhaust system.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Pacesetter's mids are actually shorties, sorry to tell you.
    The Pacesetter mids have a little longer length than a shorty, lets say, compared to an edelbrock. They don't have quite as much runner length as the JBA's, but they're mids alright.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    The Pacesetter mids have a little longer length than a shorty, lets say, compared to an edelbrock. They don't have quite as much runner length as the JBA's, but they're mids alright.
    I thought they could bolt up to the factory y-pipe though.

black
    94 z28

who makes the largest mid-length's i want more power but i cant go with long tubes because of emmisions and my driveway is fucked up

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Here's a pic of it on a car. You can see the cat on the right with the dump on the left. The cutout is connected right before the cat and when opened, the exhaust flows out the turndown instead of flowing through the cat and the rest of the exhaust system.

Click for full size
    thats a real nice setup

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kevinboy View Post
    who makes the largest mid-length's i want more power but i cant go with long tubes because of emmisions and my driveway is fucked up

AS&Ms = by far the best midlength.. and here's a little secret... they make just as much power as long tubes, without the disadvantages of LTs. Rich Krause dynoed his built and blown LT1 with them, and hooker longtubes didnt show any improvement until well over 600rwhp IIRC, and even then it was minimal.

I have AS&Ms and they work great. I got mine used.. they are pricey new.

10's N/A

Gains vary. I've heard of some guys getting nothing from going from mids to long tubes - though i've never seen a comparison test with that outcome. I myself, in the otherhand, gained 5.7 horsepower going from AS&M mids to FLP Long Tubes on a '95 T/A. The car had basic bolt-ons as I was just getting started.

Thread Information