Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Did i pay too much?

So back in 06 i picked up a 2001 ws6 vert a4, and long story short. I dumped a ton of money into it, and it keep f**king up. I hated the car! Lol! Ok, im done crying about it. So i pick up another trans am from a dude down the street. Its a 1996 silver m6 ta with t-tops, and 38k miles. Its not a ws6 but it has leather and all the other toys. I paid 8,000 for it. Its in flawless condition! Ohhh the headlight motor is grinding. So did i pay too much?

red
    95 Z28

It wasnt a cheap one, but it isnt out of line for a good clean low mileage car. Those cars are getting harder and harder to find in low miles unmolested condition. An extra grand is worth finding a nice one, and I dont even know what the book values are without looking it up.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

to me..its to much...why? cuz i dont like LT1s..

but reality was a good price for the milage and if its in a good condition.. so i could say it wasnt that bad..

post some pics for betters responses,,,

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

i paid that price for my 96 WS6 w/ 34k miles.

as was already stated good F cars are getting harder to find and the prices for good ones with low miles are holding steady.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    i dont like LT1s
    LT1's arent bad if you dont mind the replacement of the optispark and waterpump.....my first bird was a 95 t/a....it was a fun car....i wished for t-tops so bad though, and it was a hard top. paid $3k for it with 96k miles, so i wasnt complaining....it did what i needed it to do.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    LT1's arent bad if you dont mind the replacement of the optispark and waterpump.....my first bird was a 95 t/a....it was a fun car....i wished for t-tops so bad though, and it was a hard top. paid $3k for it with 96k miles, so i wasnt complaining....it did what i needed it to do.
    Thank you everyone! I feel a little better now. I cant post any pics til next week. Im visiting the inlaws in wisconsin. So........ whats the deal with the waterpump and optispark? Should i just swap them out now, or wait til they go bad?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2tuff4u View Post
    Thank you everyone! I feel a little better now. I cant post any pics til next week. Im visiting the inlaws in wisconsin. So........ whats the deal with the waterpump and optispark? Should i just swap them out now, or wait til they go bad?
    usually if it happens, the waterpump will go bad, leaking onto the optispark causing it to go bad as well.....its expensive and a headache to replace. but when they are in good condition, the lt1 is a nice runnin machine...no need or want to swap it out until you have to...

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Thumbs up

Thanks! Thats good to know.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Get a Meziere Electric WP and do a Delteq coil on plug conversion, your knuckles will thank you for it later

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Get a Meziere Electric WP and do a Delteq coil on plug conversion, your knuckles will thank you for it later
    Cool! Ill save this information for when they go bad, or I just happen to have some extra cash. Thank you.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

usually if it happens, the waterpump will go bad, leaking onto the optispark causing it to go bad as well.....its expensive and a headache to replace. but when they are in good condition, the lt1 is a nice runnin machine...no need or want to swap it out until you have to...
    My 96 Z28 vert water pump started leaking at ~30k miles. I was the original owner so they replaced it under warranty. Since I knew the service writer he agreed to replace the Opti also (him: Let's see, wp leaks and creates hi speed missfire. I think that'll work).

Beyond that, I never had any problems with either and I traded it in on the 02.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

don't let these guys scare you. my WP leaked on my opti and didn't do squat to it. i used to hose off the motor on my 95 formy ALL the time and never had an opti issue in 70k miles. some go bad and some don't just like with anything else you buy.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    don't let these guys scare you. my WP leaked on my opti and didn't do squat to it. i used to hose off the motor on my 95 formy ALL the time and never had an opti issue in 70k miles. some go bad and some don't just like with anything else you buy.
    I had 5 failures in 12 years,I call that significant and more than just bad luck.

2 were replaced under warranty,I paid for 1 and did the other 2 myself.

They had the technology to do plug on coil, WTF were they thinking?

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

LOL! Ok.....Well I guess we will wait and see. I have high hopes for the one. (fingers crossed) Im not to worried about the headlight motor. I have dealt with that problem before. But the dash, and doors are crack free, and the front clip seams to line up nice. So with that said, thank you guys again for all the helpful info. You are all awesome!

pewter
    99 trans am

good luck in the aquisition...and please do post pictures...we got love for LT1s too..

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

I had 5 failures in 12 years,I call that significant and more than just bad luck.

all ac delco?

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

good luck in the aquisition...and please do post pictures...we got love for LT1s too..
    Nice! Will have some pics up on monday.

red
    95 Z28

They dont fail that often unless some other circumstance(s) exist such as cheap parts, installed incorrectly, another issue with the car, etc.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    all ac delco?
    Yup, back then thats all there was.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    They dont fail that often unless some other circumstance(s) exist such as cheap parts, installed incorrectly, another issue with the car, etc.
    Mine did and I even changed to the newer cap with vents for the last 2.

I wrecked the first one pressure washing the engine when I first got the car in 96.

The second was about a year later when my sister took my car through the car wash to clean it up nice after she borrowed it.

I also puked 2 water pumps one took out the opti.

So 3 were complete opti's and 2 were just cap and rotors.

Thread Information