Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Coolant system needs a little help. 98k miles

This is a discussion on Coolant system needs a little help. 98k miles within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 5.0THIS uhhh. Dont worry. Distilled water is by no means necessary. Your cooling system will not need ...

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    uhhh. Dont worry. Distilled water is by no means necessary. Your cooling system will not need to be flushed again... rust will not pile up and eat through the engine and subsequently the entire car, and anything within a 50 foot radius made of steel. All you'll need to do is put a small bottle of additive in with a rust preventer and you'll be fine.
    this would work
    Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    It is not the rust with the tap water you need to worry about it is the mineral deposits like calcium, nitrogen, etc.
    this also is a great point. but rust will most likely accour do to the electrolite imbalance in the water because of the chemicals used to treat it.

Make sure you dont leave the flush in too long. Because if you have a rusty radiator and you put flush in it for over night that should only be in there say 30 minutes, then if your radiator is real rusty, the flush will eat and eat and eat as much rust as it can and if your radiator is rusted through in a few spots, then the flush will dissolve the rust so much that it creates a hole in the system. After all, its suppose to eat rust, right? haha

Thats what happened to me. So I have a new radiator, a new heater core and a new water pump and I even had to do a head gasket swap because something in the water ate through the head gasket and was leaking water into a cylinder.

I can't stress how important it is to use distilled water and antifreeze in a car.. And to keep it clean. Because that water touches everything. Distilled water is de-ionized. Rust can't form without ions. It's a chemestry thing.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 12-23-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Driving as fast as I can dafaic's Avatar

Silver
    97 TA M6

I am robbing my own dead thread grave. Specially since I overlooked the last 4 posts. I am in the middle of changing rad. hoses, doing the intake leak repair, putting in moros wires, and finished pulling the old nos system. Anyway the coolant system is getting new fluid again anyway. Found I had several small leaks. Fourtunatly non that would or did find their way to the opti...

ps Chad we should hook up when i get the car running. Several of the fbody guys here in town including myself are going to hit the motorplex opening nite. It's like 2/6/07 i believe...We have great hopes for my car. These ls1 guys are pretty impressed by the little lt1...
    Click for full size
    lt4 hot cam, l.e. heads, gold 1.6rr, hooker lts, 3"ypipe, hookercatback, no cats, subframes, b&m ripper, k&n cai, msd6a-coil-opti, udp, tr55 g's, ta girdle, 4.10's, boxed control arms, Madz28 tune, specstg3, alum. elbow. No traction

sounds cool. But I work real early the next day. Like possibly 6am. so not sure if I can make it yet

Driving as fast as I can dafaic's Avatar

Silver
    97 TA M6

I was wrong on the date. Its the 10th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information