Clutch wierdness

This is a discussion on Clutch wierdness within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; A few months ago my clutch went and was slipping like mad. I decided to take the time to upgrade ...

Clutch wierdness

A few months ago my clutch went and was slipping like mad. I decided to take the time to upgrade and got a spec 2 clutch. when it fist went it in thought omg this is a whole new ballgame.. it was all go or no go, griped like a mofo. i was a bit worried at the same time, nj is not a stick friendly place, tones of traffic and really nasty hills with stop signs and people that ride your rear. anywho... after a few days it lost its supergrip all go or no go attitude and felt much more like my old clutch, it could slide into gear and every once in awhile had no problems holding on a hill for a few seconds. it still grips like a mofo too if its engaged though, if i punch it the wheels spin, not the clutch like the old one buuuuuuut recently 1st and reverse have began to be really touchy. on normal acceleration used to pull the car in or out of parking spots or moving up in bumper traffic the it seems to be reallly choppy. i think its what people call chattering? not really sure. it almost wants to stall sometimes you have to gas it, but then it starts to really move, something you dont want in tight quarters for obvious reasons. is an adjustment needed or is this something normal for better then stock clutchs?

i worry now because my cars in the shop right now getting heads, intake, cam etc, and will be quite more of a car to handle, and im thinking this might make the clutch problem that much more of a handling problem.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    A few months ago my clutch went and was slipping like mad. I decided to take the time to upgrade and got a spec 2 clutch. when it fist went it in thought omg this is a whole new ballgame.. it was all go or no go, griped like a mofo. i was a bit worried at the same time, nj is not a stick friendly place, tones of traffic and really nasty hills with stop signs and people that ride your rear. anywho... after a few days it lost its supergrip all go or no go attitude and felt much more like my old clutch, it could slide into gear and every once in awhile had no problems holding on a hill for a few seconds. it still grips like a mofo too if its engaged though, if i punch it the wheels spin, not the clutch like the old one buuuuuuut recently 1st and reverse have began to be really touchy. on normal acceleration used to pull the car in or out of parking spots or moving up in bumper traffic the it seems to be reallly choppy. i think its what people call chattering? not really sure. it almost wants to stall sometimes you have to gas it, but then it starts to really move, something you dont want in tight quarters for obvious reasons. is an adjustment needed or is this something normal for better then stock clutchs?

i worry now because my cars in the shop right now getting heads, intake, cam etc, and will be quite more of a car to handle, and im thinking this might make the clutch problem that much more of a handling problem.
    few questions to get a better idea. did you buy a new flywheel or just pressure plate and disk? if you kept your old 1 i hope you got it resurfaced? did you also give it the requested break in mileage? are you sure your slave cylinder isn't leaking in the bell housing?

I bought it new and had the old fly resurfaced.... paper said it didnt require a break in period but i did not (and still have yet) to give it a hard launch or anything... shitty oooold tires and 4.10's have made this impossible anywho dunno about the leaking cylinder, where is it located?

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I bought it new and had the old fly resurfaced.... paper said it didnt require a break in period but i did not (and still have yet) to give it a hard launch or anything... shitty oooold tires and 4.10's have made this impossible anywho dunno about the leaking cylinder, where is it located?
    driver side of the bell housing. it has 2 nuts holding it in place. when you go t pull it off watch out for the plastic fork on the end, it will hang up when you try to pull it out. just ease your fingers in there and pinch it together and pull it out. if it is wet its leaking or yur real main seal is. depends on what fluid you find. if its leaking (either one) you will need a new disk and use brake cleaner on the flywheel and pressure plate. hopefull this isn't your issue. god knows mine leaked on meand killed my old center force. also if you do pull it down check for burn marks on the pressure plate and flywheel.

Thread Information