bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

charging problems!

ok so i went to start my car the other day and i got nothing and in order to make this as short and sweet as possible i'll tell you that i since this happened i replaced the altenator and battery. i tested the lead from the altenator to the battery i tested the voltage at the battery and i tested the clip going into the altenator. the lead and the clip are both making voltage we read around 11.5 from each this was with the altenator disconnected obviously
    but prior to this we tested the voltage at the battery terminals, first with the car off, it was making 12.5 volts. then we started the car and tested it again thinking that the voltage should go up to around 14, but it didnt change at all i tried to rev the car a little and nothing in fact it was reading lower the longer it went on.
    so i took the altenator itself to auto zone to be tested and its working perfectly. so what else could it be the guy at auto zone suggested the lead to the starter since it has been icy maybe it got loose. he also suggested light ground wires. and my dad said something about the engine block having a ground and checking that.
    i havent had a chance to take this step yet. but do any of you have suggestions to what it could be. it is acting like it has a bad connection somewhere wo where else should i check. thanks for the help figuring out this mystery

my car is a 93 z28 a4 hooker catback, qtp cutout, k&n cai, vortec elbow, high flow cat, tb bypass, tb airfoil, rk sport ss hood

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Those are all good suggestions. If you know the alternator is good you need to start checking wiring from there back. Check all connections for corrosion also.

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

we think the altenator socket, which i just found out it is called, is going bad cause we put the altenator back in hooked up the voltage meter. again it started out good then started acting funny. so as the car was running i started moving the wire that is attached to the socket and the voltage went back to where it should be i let go and it went back down i that might just be the answer

Thread Information