Thread: cat Q

cat Q

Ive got a '96z that came w/ the dual cat system but for some reason a previous owner dumped the 2nd cat when they re-did the exhaust. so now theres only 1 giant cat and its throwing codes for cat inefficiency bank 1 and 2.. but Ive owned the car for 2 years and this is the 1st time its thrown codes and it got inspected fine twice already...but now suddenly its throwing codes and I cant get a sticker, the place I brought it to to get inspected started telling me the car wont pass unless I re-do my entire exhaust..but I dont trust the guy, most the mechanics around here are boneheads so im trying to see what you guys think.. it was fine the last two years ive owned it but now suddenly the pcm is missing that cat?? can I get it to forget about it again or maybe its another culprit? thoughts?

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Is the cat gone bad? Maybe you can get a pcm tune or something to edit those codes out? IDK if that would be a safe and sound idea tho.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

no if you edit them out they will catch it. ask around for someone who will inspect it anyways. i cost me a $100 but it is well worth it!
    Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    no if you edit them out they will catch it. ask around for someone who will inspect it anyways. i cost me a $100 but it is well worth it!
    whaat? how do you fudge a sticker w/ an ODBII car? they plug it in, if it throws a code you fail. its easy enough to get a sticker if you have to go on the sniffer but like the kid told me theres nothing they can do w/ 96' and up..

throw on a pair of o2 sims for the missing cat? *shrug* worse comes to worse they make a highflow ypipe kit that comes with dual cats with o2 mounts and everything... http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=99

Thread Information