Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Carb. sbc in a 94 camaro????

This is a discussion on Carb. sbc in a 94 camaro???? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller Could you just move the frame mount to where you need it? Maybe, i havent checked ...

2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Could you just move the frame mount to where you need it?
    Maybe, i havent checked to see if its possible. I will check that out tomorrow.

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Just bought our 2000, and will do this swap. It’s a V-6 now, but that doesn't mean anything to us. We'll sell the motor/trans/computer stuff/wiring/gas tank w/new fuel pump. This will be a “Non Computer Car’, and no smog issues here in Northern Nevada.

Replacing the motor with the 500+/- HP SBC V-8 Vortec Headed Motor from our '69 El Camino Land Speed Race (LSR) car, which we sold as a "Roller" to Bob Gribble, owner of MuscleMotorSports in Huntersville, NC. They’re installing a ‘Twin Turbo SBC to go 240 at Bonneville, as the car included “Aero” modifications to handle those type of speeds. We hit 175 at The Salt Flats, and it would have gone much faster with time.

The motor was built for high speed runs at Bonneville, and other paved venues across the US, yet was built to be reliable for 20,000-25,000 miles. The 4L60E trans was built by BowTie Overdrives, and is now a "Non-Computer" piece, which includes a different tail shaft. We also kept the Canton Accusump Pre-Oiling System, and the Accel 300+ Multi-Strike Digital Ignition from the Elke. Will have an Electric Fuel Pump/Filter setup as always.

Your best bet is to make a new trans. tunnel from heavy gauge aluminum, and leave plenty of clearance for things like the shifter cable/mounts (We kept the B&M Ratchet Shifter from the Elke). We’ll most likely go with a ‘Shaker Hood’ type on the carb, and make it look ‘Factory’ by painting the shaker hood scoop to match the car. Clearance issues may come up, and will have to see how the motor affects the cowl. Will have to cut into the firewall, so we’ll fabricate a ‘Custom Aluminum 2 to 4 Piece Firewall’, which we made for the Elke and many others for their A-body cars.

Will also fabricate a new dash insert, that way, we go with all Autometer Pro-Comp Gauges. Have the Innovate LM-1 from the Elke, but will either buy a 2nd one to collect info from both collectors, or buy their new version for this (???). Ron Francis Wiring is doing the Wiring/Fuse Panel package, as they have the best components on the market in our humble opinion. They can’t make the ABS Brakes work without a computer, so they go in favor of a setup with a proportioning valve.

Have contacted BMR for their input suspension wise, as they furnished many of the suspension parts on the Elke. Going with Air Suspension, so any input or ideas on this from LS1.com Members will be greatly appreciated. May stick with the stock rear end, or contact Moser for input. It will have a full cage, but will hide as much as possible behind the interior panels, plus bars to the front of the car for strength. In this type of cage setup, you also hide a cross bar behind the dash, and hide the bars as much as possible as the go to the rear of the car. We want the car to ride really nice, and this can be done, that way, it’s not a “Rattle Bucket”, but you can still have a great ‘Touring/Canyon Carver” Car.

And yes, this will take some time, which we have much of, and will take pics as we go along. This is actually similar to the ’Frame-Off’ resto we did on the ’69, so it’s really not as difficult as it sounds. The 4 post Bend Pak lift in the race car garage really helps, but you can do the same thing with jack stands in your own garage/shop. Really not as much $$$s to do this as you think, you just need time, some fabrication skills, and a friend who can do ‘Certified Type’ welds.

Go For It!!!

MAXX

Last edited by MAXX2; 01-30-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks maxx for the info! Is your 2000 just for the track or will it also be a street car? cause i want to do this on my 94 z, but still keep it street too.

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2000ss View Post
    Thanks maxx for the info! Is your 2000 just for the track or will it also be a street car? cause i want to do this on my 94 z, but still keep it street too.
    Actually, it's mostly a High Speed Street Car (Named 'BAD BIRD II'), but we'll run it at the Salt Flats a couple of times, maybe the new Mojave Mile in Calif, as we're into these type of venues. Our actual LSR car is the true race car, and you can see the details of it on our main website, but I can't show that on this site, as they told me it's a form of advertising, and gave me one of the "Infractions" on this site. Just Google MAXX2RACING and you can see 'BAD BIRD'.

When you start your buildup, post it on the site along with pics. My honest guess is we will have the V-6 Motor/Trans/Wiring/Gas Tank/Radiator/Computer Stuff and everything else out of the car some time in late February, as we want to keep these items in the car until they're sold, that way, a buyer knows how really great the car runs as it now is configured (Stock)

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Last edited by MAXX2; 01-30-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Hey, not to get off subject, but we need the driver's side power window motor, as it works so slow, one could walk a mile before it went down. Any fixes, or are there some for sale here on the site???

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX2 View Post
    Hey, not to get off subject, but we need the driver's side power window motor, as it works so slow, one could walk a mile before it went down. Any fixes, or are there some for sale here on the site???

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Just go to any auto parts store and pick up a new one. And for the rear in your car change it. They are a weak link. With your plans for the car an upgrade will be necessary.

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Just go to any auto parts store and pick up a new one. And for the rear in your car change it. They are a weak link. With your plans for the car an upgrade will be necessary.
    Will do.

On the rear end, we have a line on a Ford 9" set up for a Firebird/Camaro, but any and all ideas/recommendations are more than welcome. Remember, it's a top end car, not for drag racing.

Waiting to see what type of setup we use for the air suspension. This is an important part of the car, as the El Camino had QA1 Coil-Overs that were specifically built just for the car, and it's not that easy to adjust the fronts on any car. Several cars at The Salt Flats now use some type of air suspension, and that makes it doable. We want the car extremely low on the highway, and normal for around town, or loading on the Race Car Trailer. The car will have skid plates below the oil and trans pans, same as was on the Elke.

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Thats a nice el camino you have! If you still need the window motor pm me, cause i can get you a brand new one at a good discount. And that goes for anyone else that is a ls1 member!

red
    95 Z28

Hey Maxx, we will all still know what you're saying, even if the text isnt in bold

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Hey Maxx, we will all still know what you're saying, even if the text isnt in bold
    We're used to using "Bold", as many of our address book contacts in our email folder are older folks, so they don't see as well as the younger generation.

I'll limit the "Bold" to certain things.

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Thats a nice el camino you have! If you still need the window motor pm me, cause i can get you a brand new one at a good discount. And that goes for anyone else that is a ls1 member!
    Still need the window motor, so let us know how to pay you and have it shipped.

As noted, the El Camino sold as a "Roller". Judy and I did the complete "Frame-Off" resto on the Elke, then converted it to a Pro-Street/Pro-Touring/LSR Race Car.

Still attempting to find out the Rev Limit on the V-6 currently in the car. It hits just above 4,600 RPM, so don't know if we need to get it higher or not. Anyone know??? As noted in another thread on this site, once we cut out the cat on the car, it runs perfect, the 'Service Engine Soon' light goes off, and the Oil Pressure stays above 60 even after it warms up. SOUNDS GREAT!!!

Now, we'll offer the motor/trans/wiring/computer stuff/radiator/rear end for sale on the site, plus list it on Craigslist, maybe eBay. Leaving it in the car until such time as someone actually gets to take a test drive, that way, it's not one of those ads that states "It Ran Fine When We Pulled It".

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Thumbs up

Still need the window motor, so let us know how to pay you and have it shipped.

As noted, the El Camino sold as a "Roller". Judy and I did the complete "Frame-Off" resto on the Elke, then converted it to a Pro-Street/Pro-Touring/LSR Race Car.

Still attempting to find out the Rev Limit on the V-6 currently in the car. It hits just above 4,600 RPM, so don't know if we need to get it higher or not. Anyone know??? As noted in another thread on this site, once we cut out the cat on the car, it runs perfect, the 'Service Engine Soon' light goes off, and the Oil Pressure stays above 60 even after it warms up. SOUNDS GREAT!!!

Now, we'll offer the motor/trans/wiring/computer stuff/radiator/rear end for sale on the site, plus list it on Craigslist, maybe eBay. Leaving it in the car until such time as someone actually gets to take a test drive, that way, it's not one of those ads that states "It Ran Fine When We Pulled It".

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Message sent!

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Your message doesn't show up???

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post

What's this all about?????????????????????????????

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

red
    95 Z28

play nice kids

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Have no idea "WHOEVER" made the comment in the signs??? Doesn't make any sense!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

What's this all about?????????????????????????????

MAXX
    MAXX2RACING

Just someone that needs to be

But anyways, i will try to send it again. Thanks!

Check your email, i sent it there. Cause for some reason i cant pm you, you might want to check that out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information