Can you reverse the compressor lines???

This is a discussion on Can you reverse the compressor lines??? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; O.K. So the other day my wife is behind me driving and i text her my ac is out. She ...

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Unhappy Can you reverse the compressor lines???

O.K. So the other day my wife is behind me driving and i text her my ac is out. She texts back she saw a cloud of smoke under my car. Well, it was the high side line that rubbed on the upper control arm over the last 15 years and it finally bit it. So I ordered new hoses. I changed them yesterday and (it is an LT1 car) and didn't really think you could put them on wrong. What I mean is where they bolt to the back of compressor and accidentally flip-flopping them. The ac worked fine before so I took it in for an evac and recharge. I bought 2 cans of 134a (20$) and my mech pulled a vacuum on it and it held. So in goes the first can and the compressor kicks on but begins to short cycle. The second can goes in and NOTHING. Air is not cold, evaporator is warm, compressor isn't cycling at all. We pull codes and I have a TPS code,Map sensor code and ac switch code. SES light is NOT on. Weird I thought. Car runs fine so we gave up not knowing what to do. My question is this. The back of the compressor looks to have both holes of the same size. Is it possible I flipped them and now the low side runs to the condenser and the high side now goes to the dryer/evap??? I need to pull them back off and see. The big hose that goes to the dryer/evap comes off the inner (closest to eng) line and the high side with the switch come off the outer hose and feeds to the condenser. While they are different sizes at the ends, are they the same size at the compressor? They looked it to me. Or is it a case of a switch that worked for years suddenly poops it's pants when you swap it. The new lines were without high pressure switch so I took old one and put it on.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

No i don't think you can swap them. Here might be a problem, That line you broke was the lowest point in the system so it would have run out of oil right away. When that happens they love to blow parts and they get cloged in our very small cored condesers

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Well I always thought once the oil is in the system unless you vacuum it out it stays there. You know, the condenser and compressor mainly. I have added one can of 134a and I had to jump the switch with a wire to kick in compressor since I had a code for faulty switch and I have to replace it. The switch in question is on the evaporator/dryer. Now all I get is hot air and when I bled the high side with a screw driver I got A LOT air blowing out of the valve with the car off. I also undid the low side hose off the dryer from the compressor and it let out a bunch of air too. I only got refrigerant to come out on the service port when it was running. Also, the dryer is cold for like 2 seconds then warms up.

Thread Information