Results 1 to 7 of 7

Cam, Lifters, and Rocker Arms

This is a discussion on Cam, Lifters, and Rocker Arms within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I am looking to do some upgrades to my 95 lt1 while I have it apart. Currently I have taken ...

  1. #1
    a.k.a. one-tone zbizkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Burlington, Ky
    Age
    36
    Posts
    343

    black
    95 z28, 05 Altima

    Cam, Lifters, and Rocker Arms

    I am looking to do some upgrades to my 95 lt1 while I have it apart. Currently I have taken the heads off in order to repair the spark plug threads in the heads. Since I have it so far apart I am looking for ways to spruce it up a bit. I was thinking of adding a cam, (and should probably add new lifters) and I was thinking of new 1.6 rocker arms.,

    I would appreciate help with picking parts that give me good hp. a nice lobed sound, and that would not make me make other upgrades to sustain it.

    Also, if I am missing anything that may be necessary due to the extra stress from the new parts, please let me know.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    I'm guessing you don't want to have the heads worked at all?
    If you change cams you really have to change lifters other wise it's about a 40% chance of having a major problem and a 60% chnace of taking some of the lobe off the cam. The right cam with the right tune will breed new life but I would have the head gone through. A valve job, stem seal retainers and even new springs for the cam. If you don't spend the money you will waist the money.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    If you want to do a cam, also do: new lifters, new pushrods, rocker arms, valve springs (with new retainers and locks), rocker studs, valve seals, timing chain.

    Dont do a cam or headwork if you dont already have headers, high flow exhaust and a cold air intake of some sort. Any cam changes will require a computer tune, preferably on a dyno.

  4. #4
    a.k.a. one-tone zbizkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Burlington, Ky
    Age
    36
    Posts
    343

    black
    95 z28, 05 Altima

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    If you want to do a cam, also do: new lifters, new pushrods, rocker arms, valve springs (with new retainers and locks), rocker studs, valve seals, timing chain.

    Dont do a cam or headwork if you dont already have headers, high flow exhaust and a cold air intake of some sort. Any cam changes will require a computer tune, preferably on a dyno.
    Yes, I do have CAI, lt headers, and hi flow exhaust. I would eventually like to do the heads but it seems really expensive for the hp gain.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Hu? If you want a set of heads on a budget for an LT1 take a look at summit for the trickflow GenX NORMALLY ASPERATED. There are 2 heads and the NA heads just came out this spring. for 1500 you get a head that retains stock compression ratio and flows better than a stock head, has nice valve springs and bigger spiral flow valves. Here is the part number at summit TFS-30400008-CNC. They are not on the summit website yet but this is the part number in thier catalog. Price is 1495.95 for complete head. here is trickflows link to the heads http://www.trickflow.com/pressreleases/GenXGMLT1/

  6. #6
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    By the way you can Contact: Al Noe, 1-330-630-1555 He is in charge of tech with these heads and get an idea of what kind of power you can make with what cam and he can help you plan out your head cam swap.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    Have you checked out Lloyd Elliot? The prices are pretty reasonable and you will get everything done to the heads you need for the cam upgrade.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. High-Ratio Rocker Arms - Off Your Rocker
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 03:50 PM
  2. Rocker Arms
    By demon78 in forum LT1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
  3. Uprading Lifters and Rocker Arms ????
    By sfletch2000 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
  4. LS1 rocker arms, Lifters, #241 LS1 heads
    By jjz28 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
  5. Slp Rocker Arms..
    By WARP211 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •