Thread: Brakes

Brakes

hmm lemme refraise it... found what i was looking for, so ill ask somethin else related.

whats are the benefits for the following extras when buying rotors:

slot
    drilled
    zinc wash

They each cost extra, but what functions (charactoristics) do each serve?
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 07-10-2007 at 07:52 PM.

red
    95 Z28

None, none, and none when it comes to brake performance. slotted and drilled are nothing but looks, even in most production cars. On some racing systems you'll see it, but it serves only to lighten up the rotor. Slotted rotors are "supposed" to clear the pads, but in fact all they do is remove braking surface away from the rotor, ditto for drilling a rotor. Drilling does little to dissapate heat, in fact again you're just taking material away from the rotor. Zinc wash is to help with corrosion, and mayvbe make the rotor look better, although I dont have any problems with my factory stock ZO6 rotors on my car. Do not buy into the hype of what all of these improvements claim to do. It's bullshit. The people that defend it have no fucking clue. If you want to improve your brakes, get bigger rotors, better calipers, and better pads. Just going to bigger brakes will not improve the one stop "panic" stop distance for your car much, if any. They will however reduce brake fade for racing purposes. If you want the car to stop quicker, get better pads and stickier tires. On street tires, the braking threshold (maximum amount of braking force that can be applied before traction is lost) of an F body can be achieved with stock LT1 brakes and good pads. Most people dont get that. Most people that upgrade their brakes dont even need to.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

5.0 is right holes just weaken the rotors.

On the track a bigger rotor and better (more pistons) caliper c/w track only pads made a huge difference for myself braking into turn one (after a 1/2 mile straight), not just no fade but stopping distance.

Before I upgraded my brakes I ran powerslot rotors and Hawk HP+ pads which was a decent upgrade from stock.

hmmm, I guess I should put these up for sale sice they will never fit my car again....

Alright... now, is there a certain size rotor that i cant excede with the stock 16" rims? or is there enough clearance for the baehr (sp?) kits the sell on the fbody sights... think they are 13" rotors... i have no idea what stock size is.

also, i need to get pads and they offer ceramic, any benfits there? i always hear people goin on about ceramic pads... but hype as i have found it is almost always wrong

red
    95 Z28

a baer kit wont fit your car. LS1 brakes are the biggest you'll fit under stock wheels. For the street you can run just about anything. You dont race the car, so you really shouldnt worry about it. I prefer performance friction pads for the street, since they're a bit softer than some ceramics. they bite ok. I have factory ZO6 pads on the front of my camaro.

i need to replace calipers and rotors, what do you recommend then? all i can find on the fbody websites are those baer kits.

i wanted the black special edition wheels and was planning on getting these look alikes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFS-8...QQcmdZViewItem

will the bear kits fit with those?

red
    95 Z28

Yes those will fit a Baer kit (even though the Baer kit is a waste of money). In your link, those arent the particular offset you'll want. Yes I know it says they will fit, but they are really made to fit the 84-87 vette. You want the ZR1 offset wheels, which AFS also makes. You can either run 17x9s all around, or have a combo set with the 11s in the rear. Dont waste your money on the Baer kit. Get some Bishop/ Speed specialties adapter brakcets and run C5 ZO6 brakes. Same capabilites as the Baer brakes but alot cheaper, and better looking. And you're just getting them for looks anyway, because you dont road race your car, and they wont stop you much (if any) quicker on the street, for the reasons I pointed out above.

5.0... it might be the alcohol talking... but why couldnt you be single, young, hot and female?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    5.0... it might be the alcohol talking... but why couldnt you be single, young, hot and female?

If you wanted to get permabanned, all you had to do was ask.

Alright, I shot an email to that seller asking if they were available in the "ZR1 offset" whatever that is. If they do however, how do I know what size tires I need to find? I'm used to the 3 point system (IE 275/40-17)... how do I know by just knowing the rims width and diameter? (17x9.5 and 17x11)

Will any of these fit my stock 16 wheels?

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=21

If so, where do I find replacement calipers now since those are just the rotors?

red
    95 Z28

These are the offsets you'd want. technically it's the grand sport offset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFS-C...QQcmdZViewItem

This set is all 17x9s. For a 17x11 wheel, you need 315/35-17s

Alright, i;ll worry about the wheels later... but i need brakes... anything on thunder's site work for my 16" stockers? if so, where do i find caliper replacements?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    Alright, i;ll worry about the wheels later... but i need brakes... anything on thunder's site work for my 16" stockers? if so, where do i find caliper replacements?
    Those would work, but they're just replacements for your stockers. The only calipers that will work on stock spindles are your current stockers, so you wont end up with anything better. If you want LS1 brakes, look on ebay or some other f body sites (for sale forums) for people selling everything you need to do the upgrade. You need spindles, rotors, calipers, brake lines, pad abutment brackets, and a few other small items (all off of an LS1 car).

Thread Information