Boost vs compression on LT1

Ive heard people say that 8psi is pushing an LT1 at stock compression (10.5:1 right?), 4-6psi seems to be the sweet spot for safe running. Has anyone seen this trend or boosted a higher compression LT1? Right now I believe I should be near 11.2:1 after going back and fourth between the head porter and different formulas and posts on the site. Have I reached the "do not boost" limit yet or am I still good for 4-6psi? My heads are all built up with beehives and ferrara etc... but i have a stock 96 bottom end with 64k miles on it. i wanted to go with an sts originally but im thinking a supercharger will be the easier/cheaper route at this point, and will allow me to keep the headers, cats and exhuast, which id have to lose with the sts. i wouldnt mind running meth to kick in at 4k and above for saftey, but the highest we got around here now is 93 octane, and we are at sea level.

10's N/A

Me personally I would never do a supercharger setup again without building the bottom end. It seems that even with very moderate boost your still very prone to failure in a high-comp LT1. Plus, boost is limited, so that means power is ultimately limited as well.

well there is officially nothing left i can do to my car engine wise for more power thats legal besides a blower or stroker kit. sts is technically legal but i'm not going to run a turbo with cats, thats just askin for somethin bad to happen... atleast i could with a super and not be at risk. this is also just a street car and my daily driver... i dont race at a track, im doin it for fun, showin off and the numbers im not tryin to build a 1000hp motor, but i would like it to be able to contend with the moderate and above cars out there and whats comming out like the vipes, vettes and special edition mustangs that are sure to come. think id be happy with 500rwhp but right now im stuck at the 400 mark basically... might squeeze out more with a stroker and bigger cam, but then thats it for options next to boost. nos isnt legal here nor would i want something thats a temporary hi anyway, if it cant do it all the time, it just shouldnt do it at all

10's N/A

As for the very last sentence in your paragraph, Boost all the time if you wan't, and see what the result of that is. You'll be picking up pieces of connecting rod off the pavement. True a blower is on your motor at all times, but it's not like you can abuse it all the time.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    As for the very last sentence in your paragraph, Boost all the time if you wan't, and see what the result of that is. You'll be picking up pieces of connecting rod off the pavement. True a blower is on your motor at all times, but it's not like you can abuse it all the time.

He wont break a rod first. He'll put a hole in a piston first, or break the ringlands. The rods arent the weak link.

And if he's using Comp Cams' beehive springs (918s perhaps???), then he'll probably break one of those first. Ditch the beehive springs... too many guys breaking them.

really? i thought they were supposed to be top notch. what do you recommend just for curiousity?

red
    95 Z28

There are lots of good double springs out there.

Thread Information