Results 1 to 16 of 16

Which bolt-on is the best combo with an exhaust?

This is a discussion on Which bolt-on is the best combo with an exhaust? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well, I'll be ordering me an exhaust in a few weeks once I get situated with college. Currently, my 94 ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Which bolt-on is the best combo with an exhaust?

    Well, I'll be ordering me an exhaust in a few weeks once I get situated with college. Currently, my 94 z28 is stock. The exhaust will be a set of magnaflow's.

    So after I get the exhaust, what would be the best second mod to get? Do not count headers. How much more HP should I expect to gain with it?

  2. #2
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Cold air intake is a must with exhaust, then go with a cut-out, 3.73's or 4.10 gears (depending on trans), a tune, drag radials and a few suspension bolt-ons like springs, rod and subframes. That should be a good start.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Cold air intake is a must with exhaust, then go with a cut-out, 3.73's or 4.10 gears (depending on trans), a tune, drag radials and a few suspension bolt-ons like springs, rod and subframes. That should be a good start.
    Yea, the cold air intake was going to be my second mod. I'm just having a hard time deciding on what to do with it. Use a K&N one for about $200, get one from eBay for about $80 with a K&N filter, or try to make my own using some sort of induction with a custom fiberglass hood I'm going to work on sometime soon(I hope).

    I haven't heard much about suspension bolt-ons. What exactly will I benefit from those? I've never driven a car with them and as far as I know, no one around here has any.

  4. #4
    FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    463

    Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

    hey N20LT4, about how much better performance wise can you be looking at for a dyno tune? I have LT's with a custom exhaust and CAI, but it hasn't been tuned. Just wondering if it's worth the buck for the bang?

  5. #5
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    hey N20LT4, about how much better performance wise can you be looking at for a dyno tune? I have LT's with a custom exhaust and CAI, but it hasn't been tuned. Just wondering if it's worth the buck for the bang?
    I gained 18rwhp and about 9rwtq from a dyno tune with bolt ons (those gains were on a Mustang dyno)

  6. #6
    FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    463

    Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I gained 18rwhp and about 9rwtq from a dyno tune with bolt ons (those gains were on a Mustang dyno)

    Thanks for the feedback!

  7. #7
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    hey N20LT4, about how much better performance wise can you be looking at for a dyno tune? I have LT's with a custom exhaust and CAI, but it hasn't been tuned. Just wondering if it's worth the buck for the bang?
    It varies from car to car, but in a nutshell anywhere from 15-30rwhp and 10-20 ft/lbs torque.

  8. #8
    Junior Member lopezog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    arizona
    Age
    38
    Posts
    35

    green
    1994 Z28

    intake should help make your own go to home depot and buy the pipes and then just buy a cone k&n filter and save urself some money

  9. #9
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by lopezog View Post
    intake should help make your own go to home depot and buy the pipes and then just buy a cone k&n filter and save urself some money
    For fun, i wen't that route this time. Works just as good as the other name brand kits i've used.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    For fun, i wen't that route this time. Works just as good as the other name brand kits i've used.
    I may actually try this. I've never taken the stock off, but I've heard that there is already a whole there going into the fender with the stock. Is that true? If so, then I do believe that I'll just go get me some pipe and take it to the shop and cut/weld it into place with a k&N filter attached to it. What all will I need for the whole thing? The pipes, K&N filter, and what else? Any clamps? Can I use what the stock one uses to connect the new one to it? How will I know what size of pipes to use? Would it be a good idea to get some high temp engine paint and spray on the pipes to protect the pipes from getting hot and turning the "cold" air intake into a "hot air" intake as much as possible?

  11. #11
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Yes there is a hole at bottom of the airbox where your stock filter breathes from. All you will need is 4" tubing, which you can get from Home Depot, and one more clamp besides your stock one - you don't have to cut or weld anything. Lastly, add the K&N cone filter and remove the plastic from underneath the car by removing a series of small screws and you've got yourself a cold air kit. While your at this, another little trick you can do is remove your silencer (the long plastic tube underneath the intake elbow). I have a 1LE now, but when I did the free mod before I used a cap from a deodorant bottle that happen to fit right inside. Anything you can find that will cover the opening and seal tightly will work and give you a few extra hp.
    Last edited by N20LT4; 08-24-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spell check

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Yes there is a hole at bottom of the airbox where your stock filter breathes from. All you will need is 4" tubing, which you can get from Home Depot, and one more clamp besides your stock one - you don't have to cut or weld anything. Lastly, add the K&N cone filter and remove the plastic from underneath the car by removing a series of small screws and you've got yourself a cold air kit. While your at this, another little trick you can do is remove your silencer (the long plastic tube underneath the intake elbow). I have a 1LE now, but when I did the free mod before I used a cap from a deodorant bottle that happen to fit right inside. Anything you can find that will cover the opening and seal tightly will work and give you a few extra hp.
    I've usually seen 3" being used it seems. Wouldn't 4" be to big and actually hurt the air from going in unless I was going maybe 60-70+?

  13. #13
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    I've usually seen 3" being used it seems. Wouldn't 4" be to big and actually hurt the air from going in unless I was going maybe 60-70+?
    With a little "customtry" to it, it fits.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    With a little "customtry" to it, it fits.
    I'm not talking about fitting it. I'm talking about how it may just be to big for air to properly be pushed into it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    and remove the plastic from underneath the car

    Thats a good way to soak your filter in water. There is still good airflow into that box with the plastic on there.

  16. #16
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Thats a good way to soak your filter in water. There is still good airflow into that box with the plastic on there.
    My brother has had this setup on his Formula for a couple of years now with no problem, and although the air box can flow with it still in place, there is so much more access with all of that plastic removed. The K&N FIPK does the same thing with their kit.
    Last edited by N20LT4; 08-26-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spell check

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. exhaust combo suggestions
    By 02transamce in forum External Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 05:29 AM
  2. header and exhaust combo?
    By jbb6811 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
  3. Best headers + exhaust combo?
    By TexAgDevildog in forum GTO
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 01:51 PM
  4. in your mind what is the best bolt on exhaust?
    By Zboner in forum External Engine
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-21-2006, 01:38 PM
  5. $200.00 Off Headers/Exhaust Combo!!!
    By tbyrne in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •