Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Better of doing?

Is spending the extra money for an LT1 to make a 383 stroker worth it or should I go with a H/C/I+ bolt ons, pistons, and a tune?
    My goal is 400+RWHP and run low 12s all motor. Is it also worth going with 6 inch rods?
    BTW current motor has 144,XXX miles
    has LTs, x pipe, and suspension work

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Do head, cam, and bolt ons with a tune and wait till the engine quits on you. Then all you need is to rebuild or buy a shortblock, unless you want to do it all at once.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I will know for sure after wednesday but I am going to rebuild the motor,
    bore it out .30 over (which should be a 355 I belive) and do a full H/C/I motor see what that gets me along with new pistons.

red
    95 Z28

New pistons are a part of a rebuild. If you use a 6 inch rod, you have to use a piston that is specific to a 6 inch rod, or the piston will be three tenths of an inch too high in the bore. Going to a longer rod may provide you with some additional torque (has to do with using a longer arm i.e how you are leveraging the crankshaft). We're not talking about much of a difference though. You can also use 6 inch rods with a stock stroke engine... again, you just have to use the correct piston, which will be specific to rod length and stroke.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I was going to get a set of forged pistons with the rods as a set.
    Can anyone reccomend a good set at a decent prize?
    I havent seen any sponsors that carry it, along with all the gaskets for ta motor rebuild.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Yea I was going to get a set of forged pistons with the rods as a set.
    Can anyone reccomend a good set at a decent prize?
    I havent seen any sponsors that carry it, along with all the gaskets for ta motor rebuild.
    The Eagle 383 kit is a great value. I ran it on my old '93 w/ Lloyd's LE2 H/C kit. It comes with virtually everything you need, minus the oil pump, freeze plugs, gasket set. You can also upgrade to forged pistons if you prefer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-CH...spagenameZWDVW

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I was looking at those kits and I seen some of the exact same kits for a little over a grand and never really found any differences.
    My goal is just to run low 12s on motor. I think I can accomplish that even without the stroke. But then again 2morrow I am meeting with the builder on a dyno and we will go over all specks of that car.
    This guy has a very big rep down here, been working with Chevy motors for over 30 years and has known to of built some serious cars down here.

10's N/A

12's is nothing with these cars. LT1's are easily capable of that. Yes you could get that with a 355 - heck, even a stock bore and stroke 350 - but for just a little over $700, you might was well go with a 383. You'll love the torque, trust me!

red
    95 Z28

Any forged piston will work for what you want to do. Any will be better than stock. SRP, Diamond, SpeedPro (federal mogul), Manley, JE, and Ross all make quality products. JE, Ross, Manley are somewhat pricey though, not sure about Diamond.

Thread Information