Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1996 Trans am

BBK header question

i have a 96 trans am lt1, and my buddy has some bbk headers off his 95 lt1 camaro, would they fit my trans am? i think he said he had 2 bolts the bolts them to the y pipe on each side, and i think m y pipe has 3 bolts, not sure though? but if u know anything about it please let me know!! thanks
    also with going bbk header, with a magna flow high flow cats and borla cat back exhauset would it sound better and performance? i have stock manifolds with magna flow y pipe and borla cat back, what would be the difference adding short bbk headers on them?

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    i have a 96 trans am lt1, and my buddy has some bbk headers off his 95 lt1 camaro, would they fit my trans am? i think he said he had 2 bolts the bolts them to the y pipe on each side, and i think m y pipe has 3 bolts, not sure though? but if u know anything about it please let me know!! thanks
    also with going bbk header, with a magna flow high flow cats and borla cat back exhauset would it sound better and performance? i have stock manifolds with magna flow y pipe and borla cat back, what would be the difference adding short bbk headers on them?
    I think that 96 is the year they changed some emissions stuff. I know that 96 has 2 cats instead of 1. so it won't bolt right up.with a setup like that look into like pacesetter lt's with ory or catted pipe.

Black
    1996 Trans am

where would i get the pacesetter lt and y pipe at? my car is pretty low already!! so it will not work on my car then?

white
    94 camaro z28

where would i get the pacesetter lt and y pipe at? my car is pretty low already!! so it will not work on my car then?
    just look it up. I can't link to sites that aren't sponsors so i can't show you where i got mine.

I am pretty certain it won't. I know the y pipe is entirely different

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    I think that 96 is the year they changed some emissions stuff. I know that 96 has 2 cats instead of 1. so it won't bolt right up.with a setup like that look into like pacesetter lt's with ory or catted pipe.
    Correct, ODB2 started in 96 for all cars. ODB1 cars don't care if there are cats.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    Correct, ODB2 started in 96 for all cars. ODB1 cars don't care if there are cats.
    exactly why I have the ory to install tomorrow. lol. I love my 94 z28

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    exactly why I have the ory to install tomorrow. lol. I love my 94 z28
    But if you use a defouler you car still thinks the cat is there, cost is $10..

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

ebay

red
    95 Z28

Look into midlengths if clearance is major concern. A good 1 3/4 primary midlength (such as AS&M) will get the same gains as long tubes, with no loss in clearance. Long tubes are overrated for 99.9% of applications.

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok here's the deal, I got a 96 trans am with a ypipe and 2 cats obd2 correct !!well his is a 95 with aypipe and one cat which is gutted and obd1 ok! Well he is going to give me his ypipe so his bbk shortys will fit!! So using his ypipe with one gutted cat and the bbk headers wouldn't that woork? Cause I cannot use my y pipe on the bbk's cause they are made to fit his ypipe which is obd1 and mine isn't , so. Wouldn't that work like that or what?

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok and aother question! If I put the shorty bbk ceramic coated headers with his y pipe with gutted cat, and my borla cat back exhaust, how would that sound and would I get any performance differnce from what I have now , factory exhaust manifolds, magna flow high flow cats y pipe and the borla cat back?

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

I wouldn't waste any money or time on shorty's, unless your getting them for free.

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok well I don't have much I can spend right now, and I need the I pipe that connects to my y pipe and goes back to my muffler and for 150 dollars he is giving me his gutted cat y pipe, bbk ceramic coated headers, the I pipe I need, 36lb accel fuel injectors, a de screened MAF, and some trim pieces I need? Now is that a good deal or0not? Honestly? He is guttin his camaro and trans am , so let me know what yall think !! I am trying to make a decision here quick!

Black/Black

Sounds pretty good then, but you'll need a tune with those 36lb injectors. Good price though cause I bought my 30lb. Accel injectors new for like $200. The de-screened MAF you can just do in like 10 minutes but the other stuff sounds good for $150.00. You could even sell the injectors and make some of your money back, 36lb. injectors is pretty big for a stock engine.

Black
    1996 Trans am

yes but i am not sure if u wanna put the shorty's bbk on or not!! i am waiting on a guy to call me back with edelbrock mids with x pipe and bullet glass packs dump i really want that

Black/Black

Not sure if it's the same for the mid-lengths but a friend of mine who owns a performance shop told me the shorty edelbrocks have a lot of underhood engine noise because the tubing wall thickness is too thin. Just something you might want to check out.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ View Post
    Not sure if it's the same for the mid-lengths but a friend of mine who owns a performance shop told me the shorty edelbrocks have a lot of underhood engine noise because the tubing wall thickness is too thin. Just something you might want to check out.
    heck I get alot of under car noise with open long tubes. lol. I love it.

Black
    1996 Trans am

So what do yall think I should do? Do u think I should put the bbk shortys on or is it a waste of time? What would the sound be like with shortys, gutted y pipe and borla cat back?

red
    95 Z28

What would the sound be like with shortys, gutted y pipe and borla cat back?

obnoxiously loud and smelly, but it depends on your age. Once you reach early-mid 20s you'll value youe hearing more

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok , so a good loud or shity loud? I like it loud I have a ypipe on right now with high flow cats and exhaust manifolds, and it pretty loud, so would it be louder than that with bbk shortys gutted cat and my borla cat back on?

Thread Information