Thread: banging noise

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

banging noise

ok so when i take off moderately hard or when i floor the car and stay on it until the end of the gear when it shifts i am getting what i would describe as a bang. i though it was a motor mount so i had it replaced, i think it needed it anyway but that didnt fix the problem. the other motor and tranny mounts look good. the tranny is a reman'd jasper the problem is i never changed the fluid and they say to do it after the first 5000 it now has 30,000 on it. i check the fluid it looked slightly brown and smelled a little burnt not real bad just a little of each. so my question is can dirty fluid be causing the tranny not to function right and cause the banging that i hear.

my car is a 93 z28 a4 hooker catback, qtp cutout, k&n cai, vortec elbow, high flow cat, tb bypass, tb airfoil, rk sport ss hood

red
    95 Z28

Recheck the tranny mount. Sometimes it can look ok but still be damaged. Also, check all the rear axle linkages, such as trailing arms, panhard bar, and torque arm. Check the driveshaft. Also make sure the exhaust or something else isnt hitting under the hood when the motor torques over.

It seems unlikely that the fluid being dirty would cause this. Change the fluid at this point regardless.

Green
    93 Camaro

+1 on the tranny mount. It can look good and have the stud torn loose.

red

Another vote on the tranny mount.... I have that problem all the time it's so hard to tell if it damage when the weight of the tranny rest on the mount. An esay way to tell is get a bottle jack and set it under the tranny and lift it up a little at a time and watch too see if the tranny mount split in half.
    1996 Z28 LT-1 (with basic bolt-on)

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

thanks for the advise guys! 5.0 thanks for saving my ass again. i'll check everything in the morning and report back hopefully with good news and not a blown tranny

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Its def the Tranny mount, Crawl under tha car and pick up on the rear of the tranny. I bet 100$ the mount is Busted. LOl I have had to make a few for my buddies.

white
    97 z28/SS

was it the trans mount?

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

yea it was the tranny mount i cant believe it went bad so quick! it wasnt even 3 years old... but we went under the car today and as soon as we jacked up the tranny we could see that the rubber seperated from the base and the bang that i was hearing was the driveshaft and rear of the tranny flexing up because of the extra play, it was actually slamming into the floor board leaving a mark. so $5.00 later it's all fixed and everything is fine.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Ya when I built a stroker motor for my buddy, He went threw 3 Mounts within 2 months, So I finally machined him one out of aluminum and have not had a problem since. I think its just a Bad design on GM's part.

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

sounds like a tranny mount to me... im on number 8 lol

bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

yea that what it was... there wouldnt be this problem if if the torque arm wasnt putting a load on it. if the tranny just sat on the mount there wouldnt be this problem, but since the torque arm is putting so much stress on it after a few hard runs the rubber rips right off the base. stupid design! next time it goes which i am sure it will i am going with a polly mount hopefully that holds up better

Thread Information