Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Alternator Replacement

The bearings on the used alternator I got are going out, so I am going to replace it. Couple of questions, I don't have an aftermarket stereo, just an aftermarket alarm, so should I get a hi-output alternator or will an OE-style one work fine? And, the 94 LT1's came with either a 125-volt or 140-volt (according to autozone.com), how can I tell which one I need for my car? The one I have isn't the original from my car, but it seemed to be working fine when it was working, so can Autozone test to see which voltage it is? Thanks.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Chinazone should be able to test it. I wouldnt worry about getting a high amp alt, Just a factory replacement would work just fine.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

ya I would just go with the "standard" alternator too. I didn't even know there was a difference when I replaced mine. And I have like 2 amps, 5 speakers, and 2 12" JL W3's and I have not noticed any problems at all. Alternators come with a regulator built in.. So if it needs to supply more current, it just cranks it up a notch. But hey, a car alarm doesn't really draw any power when the car is on.. Because that is when you turn it off. right? So the alarm only draws battery power when the car is off, and that doesn't have anything to do with the ALT. DOH! haha

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well, I replaced the alternator and the noise is still there. So it wasn't the alt pulley, so I think its the one underneath it. That's the A/C pulley if I'm not mistaken. Haven't verified it yet, going to go home today and take the belt off to see if it is the A/C bearings. If it is and I have to replace the unit, what's the easiest way to go about it? All I have are jack stands, so...easy, moderate, difficult? I haven't been able to get a good look at it yet, been busy. I hope to fix it all this afternoon. Any suggestions to make it easier?

I have a slight and constant roller bearing noise too. I also replaced the ALT but that wasnt it either. It might be the belt tensioner. Those are only like $20 to replace and fairly easy too. But yes, it is a possibility the a/c bearings are showing signs of age. I know my a/c compressor is making a squeeking noise when I first start it up, but it goes away after 20 min. But it only makes that squeeking noise when the a/c is on. The grinding noise is subtile but always there. So, I really have not determined if the bearing noise is the a/c also, or something different like the belt tensioner. I know its not the Power steering pump because I just replaced it too! haha pos.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, mine only makes the noise at idle up to about 2K, then goes away. Its a high-pitched squeal, but also sounds like metal rubbing. I know what a loose belt sounds like and its not that, so that's why I'm thinking its the bearings. Kinda looks tucked up there a bit and hope its not a bitch to do because I want to knock it out in a day.

well, the directions in the haynes book doesnt sound hard.. but you know how that is

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

spray some penetrating oil on the tensioner bearing when the car is off. make sure you dont get any on the belt. when you restart listen for the sound. if it goes away get a new tensioner. if it is still there look elsewhere.

Or could just start your car and while it's making the noise, then spray the tensioner to see if the noise changes or goes away.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Or could just start your car and while it's making the noise, then spray the tensioner to see if the noise changes or goes away.
    then the penetrating oil will probably get all over the belt and then bye bye belt. also, i wouldnt want to stick my head under there and spray something while my engine was running.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well I found out where the noise is coming from. The clutch on the compressor is shot. Its rubbing occasionally, so I pulled the fuse so it wouldn't kick on and such. I'm going to have it replaced in the spring...because who needs AC in 50 degree weather?

ya I noticed my clutch on my a/c really clicks loud when it engauges. That could be my problem too? Btw, why do you need to remove the fuse. Just not turn it on.. same thing.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-25-2007 at 12:05 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

when you use defrost the ac kicks on to defrost the air.

I thought it only did that if the temperature is set to cold.. (left)

Thread Information