Black
    1997 Trans Am

Additional fan switch

Has anyone had any luck adding a switch to activate the cooling fans? I have been uncomfortable with my in city engine temps. bouncing around between 210F and 220F, so I spliced into the blue and green leads to the cooling fans. I then grounded the other side of a switch, and when I want additional cooling I can ground the fans by flipping the switch and activate either the low speed or high speed fans. Problem is, I think the computer reads that as a short, and throws P1641 and P1642 codes, (cooling fan relay is open or shorted). Any ideas?

red
    95 Z28

I didn't want to screw around with the harness when I put in a fan switch. The SLP harness was well worth it, plug and play with factory style weatherpack connectors. Worked awesome. Just another option if you don't want to keep dealing with codes.

I'm not sure how to eliminate those codes you're getting if you do the switch as you described.

Black
    1997 Trans Am

Thank you for your interest and reply. I'm not familiar with a SLP harness. Would you mind giving me more details? Thanks. Regarding the codes, I had wired the switch so I could unplug it, which I did, then I used my scanner tool to erase the stored codes. No more codes shown so far, so I am led to believe my grounding circuit was causing the codes. Thanks again for your help.

red
    95 Z28

SLP Performance 63011 Fan Control Switch 1993 2002 Camaro Firebird V6 V8 | eBay

There ya go. It's a plug and play setup. It plugs into the factory harness under the hood, take the pcm out (easy), route the wire behind where the pcm sits and into the interior and mount the switch wherever you want (I put mine in the ashtray, out of sight). Let's you turn on low or high speed fans anytime you want, and when the switch is off, the fans operate as they would from the factory.

Black
    1997 Trans Am

Thank you. It sounds like just what I had attempted to do. I will check it out.

Thread Information