Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

97 lt1 upgrades

This is a discussion on 97 lt1 upgrades within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Tried to go work on it today but after 5 minutes the sky fell out (working in a parking lot). ...

Black
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Tried to go work on it today but after 5 minutes the sky fell out (working in a parking lot). Only managed to do 2 things: Tested the Ohms on the wire from the coil pack to the opti, found 54.4 Ohms on an 8 inch MSD wire. Supposed to be 40-50 Ohms per foot, maybe its my multimeter or my application of it but I won't decide anything until I test them all. I don't know which setting to use anyway, 200, 2000, 20k, does it matter? Anyways we decided to just go ahead and pull the PCM and I sent it off to Dave's total performance in Ohio to have him do a mail order tune and tune out the o2s. Tomorrow if the weather is forgiving my plan is to do the following: Compression test all cylinders, Ohm test all the wires, replace wires with dialectric grease, test whatever sensors I can without having to start the motor since no PCM, and of course check for any obvious physical damage. This car has been given a full seafoam treatment and the mechanic told me the injectors were pulsating like they were supposed to so I really don't think its fuel. Like you said I'm leaning towards spark at the moment and hopefully the wire tests will show me something easily fixable. I spoke with MSD and they said if all the wires and other stuff checks out its gotta be the opti. Fortunately they will replace the wires/repair the opti whichever case so maybe I'll just have to eat some shipping and handling for a repair. This damn car will be the death of me...but for some reason I can't get enough.

Black
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Did some monotony today. Compression test checked out just fine around 150-180 area. The plugs all had a varying gap somehow with most around .055-.060 and a couple below .050, so I regapped them all to about .045-.050 and tested each one, all were fine. Ohmed each wire out and all were within range except the one from the coil pack, seems a little wierd but it must be working the damn car runs anyway and the misfire is only on one cylinder supposedly. MSD says they'll replace it though so no worries. Reinstalled every plug wire with dialectric grease and threw a few zipties in there to get some of them good and clear of the headers. The only suspicious thing we noted the whole time was that trying to reinstall the number 3 plug wire the damn boot wouldn't snap onto it all the way. Now I didn't pay any attention when I took it off so I don't know if it was loose to begin with unfortunately. We had the same problem with a couple other wires being difficult, but were able to get them to snap on without all that much trouble. The number 3 was the only one we had to jam a screwdriver in and bend because we could see the clip was actually slightly offset in the boot. Hopefully it was just something as stupid as that, but I won't know until I get the PCM back from Ohio and start her up again. TSP Rumbler on the way, and should have the computer by the end of the week. I'll post again once I get to drive it some more and see what happens.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

sounds like everything is comeing together nicely well I hope the start up gose good.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Black
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Success!

I installed an msd coil pack, got the computer back in, and put the rest of the exhaust on. She sounds good, she runs great, and she pulls a lot harder. Trixy's got a brand new bag.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

nice im glad to here it

Who did the tuning on the PCM? If you end up having a misfire again after it rains again, I would suspect the cap is bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information