Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

97 Camaro LT1 cam. Will this work?

Its a LT1 383 stroker, stock heads. A friend of mine wants to get this Comp Cam 224/230 .536/.544 112* LSA. Will he need to flycut his pistons, or will this cam work fine? Of course he's getting pushrods/valve springs/etc. I just want to make sure this cam isn't to big. He's getting new heads further down the road, but the stockers will stay on for now.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What rocker? stock? what piston size?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Stock rockers. Unsure on the pistons. He's buying 1.6 roller rockers tonight though

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

That cam will be just fine, it sounds smiliar to a LT4 cam.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sweet. Thats the answer I was looking for. So since its similar to an LT4 cam, then that means he could go a little bigger then, right? I mean, I take that as swaping an LS6 cam into an LS1 car, you might as well go a little bigger if your going to do the work

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Sweet. Thats the answer I was looking for. So since its similar to an LT4 cam, then that means he could go a little bigger then, right? I mean, I take that as swaping an LS6 cam into an LS1 car, you might as well go a little bigger if your going to do the work

I cant figure out why he went through the trouble of building a 383 shortblock and putting stock heads back on. And on top of that putting in a bigger cam... it's right up there with telling a marathon runner to breath through a straw.

I guess I wouldnt bother going real big with the cam at this point, it's a waste.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

He said hes going with different heads later on, I guess stock ones will work for now but still dont expect too much.
    Along with the new heads get a bigger cam like a 230/234 ish cam or something along those lines.

green and black
    97 Z28/ 383

So hey...I just joined the site and this is my car that we are talking about. I actully didn't build the motor so I'm not sure why new heads wernt put on. I am going to change the heads...so should I wait until I change them out to do a cam? And also do u guys have any suggestions on what heads I should get.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by av8rhorn View Post
    So hey...I just joined the site and this is my car that we are talking about. I actully didn't build the motor so I'm not sure why new heads wernt put on. I am going to change the heads...so should I wait until I change them out to do a cam? And also do u guys have any suggestions on what heads I should get.

Might as well wait until you can do it all at once, that way the motor only has to come apart one time. Many ways to go with heads. Ported stock LT1 or LT4 heads work pretty well, as do aftermarket heads. If going with an aftermarket head, my first choice would be AFR, then maybe Trick Flow. Keep in mind that aftermarket heads typically dont flow what they're advertised to flow, but they do provide an excellent base for even further massaging of the ports. Your budget and goals will be the main determining factors of which way to go with heads.

green and black
    97 Z28/ 383

Right on...I will most defently go with afr. When I get them should I have them checked to make sure they will flow what they say?

red
    95 Z28

Well, AFR offers ported and as-cast heads. You can always get the heads and them have them ported further by someone that knows what they're doing if you dont like how they perform (flow number wise). Be warned though, AFR heads arent cheap, but they are generally nice pieces. These heads will offer you maximum potential, 500rwhp+ normally aspirated if you wanted to take it that far. If your goals are more in the area of 400rwhp normally aspirated, I would honestly recommend just having the stock heads ported. Ported stock heads have gone well over 400rwhp on even stock displacement engines.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Just take the stock heads and get them ported by Loyd Elliot he can set you up with a cam as well.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Just take the stock heads and get them ported by Loyd Elliot he can set you up with a cam as well.
    Yea he takes the guess work out of what cam to get. I just finished my 383 with LE2 heads and cam and it's nice for the street.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Nice, which cam did you end up getting and do you have any kind of results?

Thread Information