Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

95 lt1

This is a discussion on 95 lt1 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 youl easily have 10,000 into a car when you seek 500hp if u want that much ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    youl easily have 10,000 into a car when you seek 500hp
    if u want that much power for cheap... spray it!
    but id spray it after i got 500hp out of the engine too
    maybe if the car costed 8k. youre mixing appearance costs with performance parts. appearance isnt necessary for speed. a decent paint job will run a few grand. 500 hp will not be anywhere near 10k. thats outrageous. without a clutch and rear i figured that with virtually everything else plus a tune a h/c combo would run about 3000 bucks for around 430 hp. now of course thats reusing the stock heads and porting them, and not buying completely shining and brand new parts, but still..... you would have to get a new shortblock, new heads and a new drivetrain to sink 10k into performance mods. i for one dont have a show car...at this stage i dont see the benefit of pretty parts.

but im always open to debate and explanations, so have at it....

pink!!! haha
    Mustang Gt

I don't want a cutsom paint job..but the car does need paint..and some engine parts u can chrome dip or even paint..paintin i can do myself just not painting the car..i'm going to look tomorrow for more down in st.pete Fl because theres alot for sale in that area..and i agree why make the parts look all shiny if u r not going to have a show car. just want mine clean

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    maybe if the car costed 8k. youre mixing appearance costs with performance parts. appearance isnt necessary for speed. a decent paint job will run a few grand. 500 hp will not be anywhere near 10k. thats outrageous. without a clutch and rear i figured that with virtually everything else plus a tune a h/c combo would run about 3000 bucks for around 430 hp. now of course thats reusing the stock heads and porting them, and not buying completely shining and brand new parts, but still..... you would have to get a new shortblock, new heads and a new drivetrain to sink 10k into performance mods. i for one dont have a show car...at this stage i dont see the benefit of pretty parts.

but im always open to debate and explanations, so have at it....
    that was including cost of car and he said the car needed some body work so i threw that in on the estimate.

2000 for car 2000 for paint
    thats 4000... only 6000 left
    lets say 3000 for an engine build to be conservative
    3000 now
    800-1000 for transmission build
    400-500 to build the 7.5 (axels, spool, gears)
    1000 for wheels tires
    thats 9500 total
    and that doesnt include any costs of things taht may go wrong during the build and thats still stock suspension

u cant modify the engine and leave the drivetrain stock, and if u want to do any racing u gotta modify the suspension too.
    sure u can do a car cheaper... but ur skipping things and probably gonna sacrafise reliability.
    stock 4l60e will not hold 500hp and neither will a stock rear end
    they barly want to hold 400hp
    my cousins ta has 400-500hp and hes fucked up 3 built transmissions and the only reason the rear end has stayed intact is caus the tires dont hook

no one should ever get into building a car thinking its gona be cheap
    they call cars that are cheap STOCK

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

that was including cost of car and he said the car needed some body work so i threw that in on the estimate.

2000 for car 2000 for paint
    thats 4000... only 6000 left
    lets say 3000 for an engine build to be conservative
    3000 now
    800-1000 for transmission build
    400-500 to build the 7.5 (axels, spool, gears)
    1000 for wheels tires
    thats 9500 total
    and that doesnt include any costs of things taht may go wrong during the build and thats still stock suspension

u cant modify the engine and leave the drivetrain stock, and if u want to do any racing u gotta modify the suspension too.
    sure u can do a car cheaper... but ur skipping things and probably gonna sacrafise reliability.
    stock 4l60e will not hold 500hp and neither will a stock rear end
    they barly want to hold 400hp
    my cousins ta has 400-500hp and hes fucked up 3 built transmissions and the only reason the rear end has stayed intact is caus the tires dont hook

no one should ever get into building a car thinking its gona be cheap
    they call cars that are cheap STOCK
    + 1 good call on that

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

and 3000 is being way conservative
    id never use aftermarket shortblock but if the miles are high its gonna need a new bottom end, and its be 800-1000 for head work and 300-500 for a good cam, 300-400ish for intake manifold, headers/full exhaust, injectors, etc.

a lot more goes into building an engine than heads and cam... yes those are the most noticible power adder but ur forgetting the supporting systems

ur looking closer to 4000-5000 for a 500+ hp build

Pewter
    2000 z28

you dont have to buy brand new parts. i know i wont. a car can be modified for cheap, so that is completely wrong to say otherwise. a car is only as reliable as the parts and labor. a used cam can be just as good as a new one, just depends on how it was used and for how long. the drivetrain is inexpensive to modify if you shop smart. a COMPLETE ford 9 inch rear end with gear set is easily $100 dollars at any junk yard, the trick is to find one that hasnt been abused. im buying a ram clutch for 150 dollars with flywheel. the clutch is fine, the flywheel needs a resurfacing job but for $150 bucks i can now hold 600 lb/ft. thats pretty decent. you really learn alot of common sense during a budget build and see things you would otherwise overlook when shopping for brand new parts.

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

to hell with a used cam! i would never put a used cam in a 500hp motor build

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTransAm View Post
    Im with you on that .. I never use used parts inside the engine... Heads , intake ..maybe .... If you rebuild a engine rebuild it to last .. If your not going to be keeping the car that long just ad-ons ..IMO

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTransAm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    Im with you on that .. I never use used parts inside the engine... Heads , intake ..maybe .... If you rebuild a engine rebuild it to last .. If your not going to be keeping the car that long just ad-ons ..IMO
    if i could get a cam with 1000 miles on it for 150 bucks cheaper than a new one im doing it. just because its used doesnt mean its in bad shape. i WOULD.... i stress that. i AM ordering a new cam from texas speed because well its pretty nicely priced.

but you can build a 500 hp ride with used stuff. it happens all the time. at least with me and my friends it happens. all depends on condition of the item in question....

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

you dont have to buy brand new parts. i know i wont. a car can be modified for cheap, so that is completely wrong to say otherwise. a car is only as reliable as the parts and labor. a used cam can be just as good as a new one, just depends on how it was used and for how long. the drivetrain is inexpensive to modify if you shop smart. a COMPLETE ford 9 inch rear end with gear set is easily $100 dollars at any junk yard, the trick is to find one that hasnt been abused. im buying a ram clutch for 150 dollars with flywheel. the clutch is fine, the flywheel needs a resurfacing job but for $150 bucks i can now hold 600 lb/ft. thats pretty decent. you really learn alot of common sense during a budget build and see things you would otherwise overlook when shopping for brand new parts.
    i didnt know they made ford 9" that went straight into a f-body...
    unless anyone has the expertise to do the welding and cutting required to put parts like that in their car they are stuck with 2 choices: buy one pre fabbed for 1000 or modify stock.
    and as you can see i priced modifying stock

ur just nickel and diming it... anyone who wants to build a car that isnt a piece of shit is gonna easily spend AT LEAST 10,000

and ps
    would you put used parts in the transmission to rebuild it too?

Pewter
    2000 z28

i didnt know they made ford 9" that went straight into a f-body...
    unless anyone has the expertise to do the welding and cutting required to put parts like that in their car they are stuck with 2 choices: buy one pre fabbed for 1000 or modify stock.
    and as you can see i priced modifying stock

ur just nickel and diming it... anyone who wants to build a car that isnt a piece of shit is gonna easily spend AT LEAST 10,000

and ps
    would you put used parts in the transmission to rebuild it too?
    im not talking about axles. im talking about the complete 9 inch housing. two different things bud. and btw it isnt that much at all to get it shortened.

did i say EVERYTHING would be used? nope. i said everything COULD be used. you go ahead and spend 10k for 500 horse. i'll keep doing it for less, ok?

once again...condition condition condition.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

We sprayed my car in our garage (mind you we do this quite often). Materials alone on my car cost me $600ish. Not an 'elaborate' paintjob, but definitely not factory. 2 grand for paint to me is rediculous, but again, this is coming from someone who does it themself and doesn't hire it done.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

im not talking about axles. im talking about the complete 9 inch housing. two different things bud. and btw it isnt that much at all to get it shortened.

did i say EVERYTHING would be used? nope. i said everything COULD be used. you go ahead and spend 10k for 500 horse. i'll keep doing it for less, ok?

once again...condition condition condition.
    i know u ment housing... but u have to get it shortened and then weld up all the brackets bla bla whatever subtract 900.

what kind of 500hp LT1 have you ever built... and im asking the cost of the whole car not just the engine
    i myselfe have never owned an lt1 but i know many many people who do and i have been there for the build

i use used parts too but that only saves you so much money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information