Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

94 lt1 wont start

i have a 94 lt1trans am, i just recently replaced all the push rods and rockers. i torqued everything down to spec and hooked up everything back the way its supposed to. my problem is now my car will crank but wont start i have no clue what it could be does any body have any ideas??

Green
    1994 Z28

Did you separate the fuel lines from the fuel rail or pull it all off? I pulled my intake to replace the gasket and when i put it all bk together it wouldnt start b/c when i put the fuel rail bk on i kinked the fuel lines. Prob not it but a good thing to check. You got spark? Fuel?

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

i checked the fuel lined before i hooked them back up to the rail i bumped the car over and sure enough it would shoot out o know im not gettin spark i just dont know why not ,i didnt get the opti wet i pluged everything up its either got to be fuses the coil, the ignition module, or the opti ..my pushrods are all torqued right so i know a valve isnt stuck plus its not turnin over hard so thats a good sign too i was just wantin to make sure i was right that it could be any of those ignition parts i named off cause i pug a bolt in the plug wire and had my wife turn it over and there was no spark

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Assuming it was running when you took it apart, you have to either have something unplugged or you pinched a wire somewhere. I'd check around the valve covers and intake to be sure you didn't pinch a wire when you put it back together. After that I'd look for something that you might have missed that you unplugged.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

yeah it was running when i tore it down ill check again to make sure nothin was pinched or unpluged cause that was one of the first things i checked for i was assuming it was my opti cause i always have heard stories on how they can just short out

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Back when I had my LT1, when the opti went out, it gave me somewhat of a warning, backfireing etc. Since it was running when you took it apart, it has to be related to that, too much coincidence for the opti to have gone out while just parked there.

Dan

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

have you ever heard of the security system messin up and causin it from startin? or i bet some how i bet my coil could have shorted out i dont know this is my first t/a so i dont know much about these cars

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Coil is inexpensive for the 1994. I keep a spare one.

The top wire going into the opti is tough to get in all the way sometimes and that can easily cause a non-start condition.

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

well i have come to the conclusion that it has to be the opti i took a test light and found i have power goin to the coil ( even on my new coil) power to the ICM power to the opti from the harness i checked all my fuses inside and out all perfectly fine but what i did notice was that it looked a little wet behind the pump were my harness pluged into so id say my opti shorted out from possible rain water because i never removed my water pump to change the pushrods and im possitive that it wasnt my water pump leakin on it

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

So now the choice is to get a 1994 or a 1995 opti as a replacement. It has been awhile since I was involved with an opti swap but as I remember the 1995 and up versions have a vent to help reduce problems but I also seem to recall something about a keyway that needs to be modified to make the 1995 work properly. Perhaps someone a but more up to date can be more specific?
    Last edited by tnthub; 12-24-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

im gonna try to see if replacing the ICM even though it still has power goin in, but i noticed once i took it of the mounting bracket that it looked like it got hot on the back side and possible short out who knows maybe this little piece could be whats causin my headache

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

just tested my ICM and it failed all the tests 3 times im glad i decided to test it before goin through the trouble of replacin the opti and water pump

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

replaced the bad icm and still no spark so just bought a new opti spark

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Dang, one of those projects that makes you want to bank your head against the wall! Keep us posted.

Dan

black
    1996 trans am

dam that sucks so much

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

well i got the new opti i was so excited that i for got to set the rotor so now i have to tear it back down and do it again ha ha but its ok but if anybody that knows how to set the rotor to cyl1 let me know

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

While it is out LOCKTIGHT THOSE ROTOR SCREEWS!!!!! And check you opti harness.

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

k thanks ill do that as soon as i pull every thing back off to set the timing ,, which i forgot to check which position my rotor was in when i took the old one off and stupid me just tossed it on the ground and slaped the new one on, i hope some on here can HELP!!!! and give me some pointers on timing it when i dont even know what position its in

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You have the pin drive, don't you? I have a 97 so it only goes in one way so can't help you there but maybe a chiltons manual would have that in it.

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

well i hooked up the new opti anf still no spark so now i gonna check my timing and go from there

Thread Information