green
    1994 corvette

Exclamation 94 corvette lt1 misfire......wires or opti???

i just bought a 80,000mi bone stock 94 vette with a lt1. the problem im having is a hard misfire at idle only. it happens every once in awhile and seems to do it more when hot. it is a single misfire but sometimes it will do it once or two or three times in a row with a couple of seconds in between misfires. the tach jumps up and down from about 500 to 1200 rpm. and also the vette has a slight rough idle pretty much all the time but ive been told that is normal for a vette? i just put new ac platinum plugs in it (had original plugs in it). the wires are factory but seem to be in very good shape visibly. anyone ever had these symptons? trying to decide whether to replace plug wires or the cap and rotor or the entire optispark distributor. one more thing, i noticed on the vette tha the balancer is pretty close to the rack and pinion. if i change the distributor, will i have enough clearance to get the balancer off or will i have to either move the rack or jack up the engine? i would appreciate any help............thanks

red
    95 Z28

Make sure all of your wires are back on in the correct order. And just because they look ok doesnt mean they couldnt be damaged internally, or be arcing. Go out at night with a spray bottle of water, and see if you can see any arcing from the wires. Idle in an LT1 vette should be smooth.. the cam isnt that big and it's a modern fuel injection system. Plug wires are a fairly simple item to change on the vette, and if you needed new plugs, then you probably need new wires anyway, or at least it might be a good idea to change them regardless.

Green&Teal
    1993TA 1998Z28

Wink

I had the same type of thing with my 93TA and it was plugs and wires.

green
    1994 corvette

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Make sure all of your wires are back on in the correct order. And just because they look ok doesnt mean they couldnt be damaged internally, or be arcing. Go out at night with a spray bottle of water, and see if you can see any arcing from the wires. Idle in an LT1 vette should be smooth.. the cam isnt that big and it's a modern fuel injection system. Plug wires are a fairly simple item to change on the vette, and if you needed new plugs, then you probably need new wires anyway, or at least it might be a good idea to change them regardless.
    i had to order the wires for it. i should have them on by tuesday or wednesday. i will let you know what happened. i sure hope it is the wires so it can buy me a little more time before i do have to replace the optispark........jeff

green
    1994 corvette

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1993ta View Post
    I had the same type of thing with my 93TA and it was plugs and wires.
    i hope your right. same motor anyways. it seems like a typical symton of a bad plug wire (engine gets hot = misses more). thanks for the input...............jeff

Thread Information