White
    1997 Trans Am

Question 4L60E problems!!!

I have a 97 trans am with the 4l60e auto tranmission (obviously) and it has been acting up the last few weeks. I don't really know that much about transmissions but maybe someone can help me. It has been hesitating shifting from first to second, it doesnt grind or make noise but just revs higher and higher until a couple seconds later when it shifts...it does fine shifting into every other gear at normal accelaration. If I punch it a little bit more it seems to shift alot better?! The only other problem it has had is if i'm in third or fourth gear and stomp it down to second real quick it wont shift to third but will just hit the revlimitor a few times until i let off. Does anyone have any idea whats going on...or if i need a complete rebuild or maybe there's just a bad part in there? The fluid level is fine with trickshift fluid in there, and i also have a B&M electric shift kit. Thanks!

white
    1994 Z28 Camaro

i would check the TPS sensor first. It is located on the side of the throttle body and is part of the transmission electrical set up. If it is not working right the transmission will not "see" the shift points. Has your "check engine" light lit up after experiencing the funky shifts? I experienced trouble with my tranny after an engine rebuild and the new tranny rebuild was burned up because of the TPS sensor not working. sucked.

White
    1997 Trans Am

Well the check engine light has been on since i've had the car, when I had it scanned it said it was the mass air flow sensor...which had just been replaced twice and was shown to be working...so i just learned to ignore the light...Although it now blinks occasionally, but stops after a few seconds...I've had some people tell me that it probably is something electrical so i'm going to try to go tomorrow and get it scanned....unless my boss says otherwise. Is there another way to check and see if the TPS sensor is not working...besides running a scan at a shop? I think the first thing i may do is take the electric shift kit out and see what that does...doubt thats the problem...but its worth a shot. Thanks for the help!

white
    1994 Z28 Camaro

you might want to look at all the sensor connectors to make sure there are no frayed wires hanging loose or touching each other. You can buy Liquid Tape at Home Depot to cover any exposed wire. I had to do this on a couple of connectors just to make sure of no shorts occuring. You can take the TPSsensor off , but it is Star screws and you will need right angle wrenches , like the Allen head type. You can check the connector itself with a multi-meter to see if voltage is getting to it or any of the other connectors if you like. Look for a reading of 5 volts when the ignition is on. The sensor itself can be read with a Multi-tester also you need to move the throttle back and forth for a reading....if there is no reading then it is bad. use the ohms scale to get a reading. You might be able to take it to Auto Zone and have it checked aaand they do engine check light codes for free, if you just want to get codes. Get a Haynes service book and it will tell you and show you the correct readings for every sensor.

White
    1997 Trans Am

Well I got the computer scanned yesterday. It said i had a random misfire and evap-no purge...which i believe it said that when the computer was checked 6 months ago....So there was nothing linked to the transmission Looks like i might have to have a rebuild

silver95
    Check out the Procharged Formula in the project car section of EPP's website. These 4L60E's do not last very long!!

i have an a-4 also and couple years ago i was on the highway and i wanted to see what it would do so i got it up to 130mph and i roasted 3rd gear beacause i forgot to put it in overdrive.i had to have it rebuilt. maybee you were abusing the gears like i did? sounds like your gonna have to have a rebuild

BLACKED OUT
    94 LT1 CAPRICE

they last just fine/ check your sensors and replace as needed/ i would recommend an upgrade if you have the loot/ th 350-400 or they have a good rebuild kit for the 4l60e that can withstand like 650 hp

Red
    1996 Trans Am

I think a rebuild will be needed eventually but the first thing I would do is flush the transmission fluid. How many miles are on your car? Change your plugs and wires for the missfire. And check to see if your purge solinode is working.

White
    1997 Trans Am

I had a guy from CA that has been helping me with the problem, talk to someone he knew that is around where i live and i took it to his shop early this morning. His diagnosis was the same as i've heard from a few others after he has tore it apart some...it needs to be rebuilt. So it's in a shop getting messed with right now. They said that it should hopefully be done with tomorrow afternoon which i was impressed with and had a great price to go with it. Thanks for everyone's help and wish me luck on my next mission....changing those damn plugs and wires...everyone knows how much of a pain they are. Now the hard part....trying to baby the tranmission for 500 miles or so

BLACKED OUT
    94 LT1 CAPRICE

under 65 buddy...lol

are they upgrading it as they rebuild it... or just rebuilding it... and how much is the damage????

White
    1997 Trans Am

They are upgrading it a little bit. It now has a factory high stall convertor set at 2000 and along with the rebuild kit they replaced all the bushings, sprags, clutches, and the list went on....I would have liked to upgrade more but i'm a broke ass college student....All together it ran me $1481.45 which i thought was a really good price...especially since i took it in yesterday morning and it is done now....a day and a half later...i'm pleased and ready to drive it.

I think you got cornholed. Just kidding. Hows it running? You better not be looking at this from work...haha Test and Tune opens at 6 Friday night, I'll run ya for $20..

White
    1997 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyRSS
    I think you got cornholed. Just kidding. Hows it running? You better not be looking at this from work...haha Test and Tune opens at 6 Friday night, I'll run ya for $20..
    Age 71 huh?! It's runnin really well...it's amazing to be able to get on it again and it not run slower than my tricycle....And i am reading this from work....I control swanand ...and $20..hmmm..haha. It looks like its gonna be chilly out there friday night but its not supposed to be raining or anything so it might be a good night to "test and tune" them...

Thread Information